Do I really need the 1/3 plate of super free on EE?

Clapper&Ham

Gold Member
Hi All
Sorry if this has been posted a million times before, I've tried to do a search but not come up with anything other than I must eat it.

I've been doing weight watchers on and off for years, and always done ok on it, but it doesn't seem to work for me any more (I'm menopausal) so I thought I'd give slimming world a go, and lost 5 pounds last week. It was week one, so I know that won't continue, but I was thrilled.

My problem is I eat very few vegetables that are on the super free list, and am allergic to most fresh fruit and can only eat tinned.
If I don't do the 1/3 plate thing will I still continue losing weight, or am I wasting my time? I'm getting very conflicting advice in class, so thought I'd ask here. If it's just a matter of taking up space on my plate I'm quite good at portion control and stopping when I'm full anyway. Also is it possibly a bit of 'blurb' to make the eating plan super healthy so they are able to market it?

I really am doing my best to include veg, but I'm nowhere near eating a third!

Is there anyone else like me who is still losing on EE? I only have 20 pounds to lose and am happy to do it slowly.

Mandy x

. . . . . Also is it possibly a bit of 'blurb' to make the eating plan super healthy so they are able to market it?

. . . . .

SW put a lot of effort into making the various plans as "super-healthy" as possible - they are eating plans for life and not short-term diets.

In some ways it might be to their advantage not to push the idea of 1/3 superfree - judging from this forum it is something which a lot of people get quite cross about!

Yes, you will probably be able to lose weight if you don't eat vegetables, but it won't be a healthy diet. Because everyone needs vegetables, whatever their age and whatever their weight. Otherwise, where are you getting your vitamins from?

Quite a few people have found that, if they try new things, they actually like them.

I totally agree with what you're saying, which is why I'm thinking sw might not be for me.
I eat plenty of peas, sweet corn, parsnips and beans etc, but none of these are the super free I'm supposed to make a 1/3 of, also on ww I eat tinned fruit which I love.
Thank you for your reply x

How about cooking them a different way? Boiled carrots and roast carrots aren't even on the same taste wave lol
Mash them into your potato, or make up your sauces with them, like a bolognese sauce. You don't even really taste the veg in the likes of those sauces. You could have soup...soup uses a lot of different veg, but at the end it doesn't taste strongly of one veg or another. A bowl of superfree soup before your main meal is fulfilling the 1/3 rule. But eating it afterward is not.

Could you follow the green plan seeing as you like the starchy vegetables? The 1/3 is not really necessary on that. Lots of people in my group have fab losses on green.

i definetly have bigger loses the more superfree i eat and also it fills me up so im less likely to pick at things. do u like salad?

If you look on page 52 of the Food Optimising book it says you don't need to add superfree to Healthy extra meals, and free food meals it is recommended but not compulsory.

Back