Do u or dont u?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxchristiexx

Team Reem
Hey everyone :D

Well 1st weight in last night and i lost 6lb!!wooohooooooo so pleased! Anyway want i wanted to know is, after weigh in do u have a “treat” off plan? I dont necessarily mean a take away but just something you wudnt normally have?

I tend to do this as i find it keeps me on track and the way i look at it is if you were only joinin for the first time you wouldn’t be startin until the following day.. just interested to hear everyone elses views..

Personally I don't. I may go a syn or 2 over at a push. As my consultant said last week view anything after WI as the start of the new week rather than waiting until the next day.

I have to admit that I relax a little bit more when I've weighed in. I still keep counting my syns, but usually give myself a bit of leaway- But I don't go overboard enough to ruin my hard work.
You just have to do whatever feels easiest and most sustainable for you :) xxx

Heh heh oh yeah! :) I used to totally pig out after class on WI day and go to McD's and stuff my face :eek: Then we'd have a bottle of wine or whatever. (That was *as well as* my Saturday Syn Extravaganza (TM) ;) )

The only reason I dont do it so much these days is I am an Online member so get weighed at home in the morning so a) its less of an Event I guess, not having class and b) I'm not usually near a shop to obtain anything yummified, so dont do anything special. (Also I just dont seem to find takeaways yum like I used to, my tastebuds have come back!)

I still definitely dont scrimp on WI day though :D (That's what the 2 days prior to WI day are for :p )

Well done on your 6lb! Thats fantastic!!! :)

Hehe i used to do that to the last time i was at class ermintrude lol and now if i fancy something il have it,mite not be a takeaway but i dont worry to much as to me Thursday is the start of the week for me..although last night i had a free dinner and then had a few biscuits and bowl of cereal before bed nothing to mad lol xxx

I never understood the reasoning behind that. Why celebrate a loss but immediately going out and make it harder to lose weight the next week. if you count it from your syns then fair enough but otherwise it just seems like fooling yourself.

it works for me and always has..have never gained bcus of it.. my old consultant done it and lost 15st, you still need a life, everyones diff, was just to see who does and doesnt..

So what do you call Flexible syns?

You are allowed a day off you know :confused: Forcing myself to stick to plan and never bending the rules is what makes me fall off the wagon. *Allowing* myself treats now and again ensures I dont feel like I've done something terrible and lost control. And to be fair a McDonalds and a bottle of wine (between 2 people!) is hardly radical!

We're all different, if it works for someone let them do it. If it works better for you having rules to stick to thats great, well done, but it works for me letting myself pig out once a week. I still write down every sin I eat even if it turns out to be 70 or 80, so Im not burying my head in the sand. At the end of the day I lost 6 stone doing it this way last time, and almost 4 so far this time. When there comes a time I stop losing I might consider cutting back a bit. (In fact if I did stick rigidly to the plan at all times I wouldn't have any leeway left if/when I do stop losing)

Sorry if that sounded a bit of a rant, it isn't meant to be but its when I am told exactly what I must and mustn't do by someone else that I fail in life. This is a Healthy Eating plan, not a prison sentence.

I agree with you Ermintrude. If it works for you, do it. If it starts to affect your weight loss, maybe consider cutting back. Simples ;)

You are allowed a day off you know :confused: Forcing myself to stick to plan and never bending the rules is what makes me fall off the wagon. *Allowing* myself treats now and again ensures I dont feel like I've done something terrible and lost control. And to be fair a McDonalds and a bottle of wine (between 2 people!) is hardly radical!

We're all different, if it works for someone let them do it. If it works better for you having rules to stick to thats great, well done, but it works for me letting myself pig out once a week. I still write down every sin I eat even if it turns out to be 70 or 80, so Im not burying my head in the sand. At the end of the day I lost 6 stone doing it this way last time, and almost 4 so far this time. When there comes a time I stop losing I might consider cutting back a bit. (In fact if I did stick rigidly to the plan at all times I wouldn't have any leeway left if/when I do stop losing)

Sorry if that sounded a bit of a rant, it isn't meant to be but its when I am told exactly what I must and mustn't do by someone else that I fail in life. This is a Healthy Eating plan, not a prison sentence.

i totally agree :D r u the same as me that the next day after weigh in thats ur new week as in 105 for the week?xx

When I first joined SW (2009) I'd have a treat after weigh in but soon realised it was affecting next weeks weigh in. Now (after losing and gaining twice in 2 years) I find I have to treat or I won't lose at all the next week. I'm lucky as when I say "treat" I mean total blow out so pretty much anything I fancy. If I was to get a few weeks where I don't lose & should have, I may have to go back to no treat x

i totally agree :D r u the same as me that the next day after weigh in thats ur new week as in 105 for the week?xx

I dont really count syns like that tbh, I just try to eat healthily during the week and then eat/drink what I like on Saturdays.

A lot of days I'll only eat between 5-10 syns, other days Ill go over a bit, I dont really set myself a limit or say that I can't have x as its 3 syns and I've only got 1 syn left.

I only use the 15 syns as a guideline, not a rule. If I want something and its not overly bad Ill have it. I just try to eat healthily. Yesterday I stuck 2 tsp of butter (4 syns) on my hot bean salad even though I was already at my 15 for the day. Its only 4 syns! Whereas I wouldn't have eaten half a tub of ice cream as that would be a lot more than 4 syns. Looking at my diary the days previous to that I only had 3.5, 3, 5... The day before that (Saturday) I had 82! :D I dont eat syns just because they're there, because they're left at the end of the day. I like to cook so I plan what Im going to eat in advance and then the syns take care of themselves.

I realise that not everyone does it like this :D We're all different :)

I used to do that when I first joined SW because I used something like 5 syns a day so on WI day I'd have a bar of chocolate. Never really went beyond that as I was pretty satisfied with my meals. These days I use most of my syns daily to yummify my meals and to have a little something sweet before bed. I don't feel the need to treat myself as I have a little treat everyday anyway. And like you Ermintrude because I WI at home it's less of an event, it's like any other day of the week so doesn't need to be commemorated lol.

Last year when I was attending class, I used to WI in the morning and after class the SW ladies and I would go have a big brunch! I'd have poached eggs, beans, w/m toast, smoked salmon, coffee and chopped fruit! All on plan but totally indulgent! I was always so full from it that I ate nothing else till dinner! I really loved and miss that part of group :(

Flexible syns is something completely different - to be done once in a blue moon, in full acceptance that you may not lose that week, not on a weekly basis.

And counting your syns weekly is also different because then at least you are taking your 'treat' from your weekly allowance and not as an added extra

Who is telling anyone what they should and shouldn't do? I certainly wasn't just giving my view from seeing lots of people do it and then complain about sts or not losing very much. At the end of the day it is up to you do. What works for you may well not work for other people as whether it affects losses will depend on lots of different factors including BMR, activity levels and what you eat for the rest of the week.

By the way I've never seen SW as a prison sentence even though I followed the plan 100% day-in day-day, as there is plenty of scope to stay within the plan and still eat well including treats.

I dont really count syns like that tbh, I just try to eat healthily during the week and then eat/drink what I like on Saturdays.

A lot of days I'll only eat between 5-10 syns, other days Ill go over a bit, I dont really set myself a limit or say that I can't have x as its 3 syns and I've only got 1 syn left.

I only use the 15 syns as a guideline, not a rule. If I want something and its not overly bad Ill have it. I just try to eat healthily. Yesterday I stuck 2 tsp of butter (4 syns) on my hot bean salad even though I was already at my 15 for the day. Its only 4 syns! Whereas I wouldn't have eaten half a tub of ice cream as that would be a lot more than 4 syns. Looking at my diary the days previous to that I only had 3.5, 3, 5... The day before that (Saturday) I had 82! :D I dont eat syns just because they're there, because they're left at the end of the day. I like to cook so I plan what Im going to eat in advance and then the syns take care of themselves.

I realise that not everyone does it like this :D We're all different :)

To be honest that’s a good way of doin things as in theory SW is a healthy eating plan not a “diet” and u don’t really want to be countin syns for the rest of ur life.. I tend to try not to have too many during the week and then have something I really fancy at the weekend or else go and drink them all lol.. and then straight back to plan the next day I suppose its all about control.. I try to fill up on free foods as much as I can but im not gonna punish myself if I ever have a bad day as we r only human its all about getting back to it next day.. iv also tried to get out of the way of a food diary,some people mite think that’s a bad thing but I tend to totally obsess when I write everythin down, I no as long I don’t go overboard on syns that il be ok.. I usually only have some thru the week and rest at weekend, iv got to know now what is low and what is high in syns and I don’t tend to pick that much so that way im not eatin syns and forgettn about them if u no wat I mean..plus I walk to work and from work as well so that helps to as it’s a 30-45min walk.. this is obviously workin for u too as ur doin amazingly well :D

I have a really nice meal followed by some chocolate or ice cream - the same as I do every other night!

I don't really feel the need to 'treat' myself (as in go over my syns) because I'm satisfied with my meals and use my syns for little treats every day.

This week after WI I had cannelloni from last months mag then later on some white nimble (HEB) with 5 syns of lemon curd and a curly wurly. That's enough of a treat for me.

If it's working for you then fair enough, there's no reason to stop but if your losses start to slow down it would be something to look at.

Flexible syns is something completely different - to be done once in a blue moon, in full acceptance that you may not lose that week, not on a weekly basis.

Really? SW says:
"Every now and then, ease the pressure on yourself. How much and how often? You decide. Try it out. Give yourself an extra allowance when you need it most, negotiate an upper limit with yourself - even if it's just a stressful day - and you'll also be giving yourself a real chance of success, for life. " - If it's to be done "once in a blue moon" I'll have a blue moon weekly please ;)

And counting your syns weekly is also different because then at least you are taking your 'treat' from your weekly allowance and not as an added extra

I didn't say anything about counting my syns weekly :confused: I specifically said I dont really count them at all, I use them as a guideline - not a limit, not weekly, not daily. No fixed time or amount. But that's just me :)

Who is telling anyone what they should and shouldn't do? I certainly wasn't just giving my view from seeing lots of people do it and then complain about sts or not losing very much.

I think you're taking my post too personally - I didn't say *you* were telling me what to do - I meant that having rules controlling exactly what I must / must not do inevitably becomes overbearing and I can't avoid breaking those rules so I fall off the wagon, feel a failure and give up. By using supposed "rules" just as guidelines *I* have control over my life, I set my own rules so I feel less of a failure and can pick myself up and reset my rules if I sometimes make a bad judgment.

What works for you may well not work for other people as whether it affects losses will depend on lots of different factors including BMR, activity levels and what you eat for the rest of the week.

I think thats what we're all saying though Circes, we're all here for the same reason after all :) (I dont do any activity (yet!) btw and like I said in my previous post some days Ill only have something like 3 syns, others Ill have 20 or more).

By the way I've never seen SW as a prison sentence even though I followed the plan 100% day-in day-day, as there is plenty of scope to stay within the plan and still eat well including treats.

And that's fine but as you say we're all different and for me that really wouldn't work. There is no way I could stick to 15 syns a day, day in, day out, whether I counted them daily or weekly or whatever - I need to live a little! :) They dont make fun nights out or holidays in 15-syn-packets and life is about more than just sitting around counting syns. I've not had a WI yet where I've put weight on and I've been doing this 5 months now, including 3 holidays :) I appreciate I will have to cut down as I lose more (another reason not to cut it all out right now! )

Anyway, we're all here for the same reason, and we're all different, dont take any of my rants too personally! I know I am an opinionated old bat :) x

I agree with Circes. But before i get jumped on, this is just for me. As i find that i have been on and off SW eating plan a few times and i find that once i give myself 'permission' once a week to have a bit of a treat night, regardless if i have syns left or not, then that 'once a week' becomes 'twice a week' then 'three times etc'. I am not criticising anyone else that can limit it to once a week, but i am saying from my point that i cant. So i need to be on plan 100%.

xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back