Do you enjoy meetings?

Oldsage

Just curious as to whether those of you who still attend meetings stay for the whole thing or just get weighed and leave?
Do you like your group or change all the time?
I like my group and enjoy seeing fellow slimmers week after week..discuss our week..etc. I like my consultant, she's very inspiring. Done slimming world before but didn't attend as didn't find consultant that useful/interesting..but I can truly see the benefit now of attending and staying to meetings.. but there are many who just get weighed and leave week after week.

I love to stay and would never choose to weigh and go. It would be a lot of money just to get weighed. My class are very friendly and I enjoy the chat and support.

I always stay, find it really inspiring and would miss not getting the certificates and a clap and sticker (like a big kid hehe)

Also I really like to wait for all of my new sw buddies to get weighed and see how they have done and congratulate them :D

I always stay, find it really inspiring and would miss not getting the certificates and a clap and sticker (like a big kid hehe)

Also I really like to wait for all of my new sw buddies to get weighed and see how they have done and congratulate them :D

A consultant once said to me that those that stay to meetings lose more weight and I am inclined to agree with her.

It's really hard to stay when you have had a gain but I genuinely come away from class feeling happy and motivated, no matter what the scales have said. I see people join, come a couple of times and then you see them juust run in and get weighed and then they disappear!

We discuss ideas, recipes, highs and lows at our class and I think that's a vital part of the whole plan. It;s for life , not just for one weigh in a week.

I have only missed 2 meetings in 14 months and even schedule appointments around mine because it is 'my' time. x

I've been at sw since April last year, I lost pretty much every week culminating in a stone by July. I went away in August and put on 3lb and was too scared to stay to class. From that week on I slowly put on between 0.5 and 3lb pretty much every week and was always too scared to stay to class so by December I had put on the stone and an extra 4lbs.

My new years resolution was to stay to class no matter what happens. I have had 3/4 gains in this time (*week and rugby related) but always stayed and have found out that I can lose 3-4lbs just by not drinking in the week (my average is 1.5lbs). I'm so glad I stay to class now.

I've been at sw since April last year, I lost pretty much every week culminating in a stone by July. I went away in August and put on 3lb and was too scared to stay to class. From that week on I slowly put on between 0.5 and 3lb pretty much every week and was always too scared to stay to class so by December I had put on the stone and an extra 4lbs.

My new years resolution was to stay to class no matter what happens. I have had 3/4 gains in this time (*week and rugby related) but always stayed and have found out that I can lose 3-4lbs just by not drinking in the week (my average is 1.5lbs). I'm so glad I stay to class now.

We sometimes do a class challenge when we split inot 2 and people that have gained and stayed get lods of points! I have stayed when I've gained and deserved it and put my hands up but its the week's when you can't put your finger on it that are hard but it's worth facing up to it x

I left my meetings as they didn't inspire me. I dont like listening why 30 odd people have loss/gained as find it boring and pointless. I love sw plan but much prefer my old ww meetings, where you all got weighed had a 20min or so talk about topic of the week eg low point foods etc. I found sw could last an age and become so tedious.

I always try and stay to meetings,they're more of a social event and is great inspiration.
We also have a private fb page where we find extra support xx

I love my group! I am part of the social team; I love seeing the member each week and being with them on their journey. My consultant is so friendly and inspiring, with great ideas. We have party nights where we bring a dish and share out the recipes! V yummy! X

I move around a lot and have lived in 7 different places in the last 7 years and have done slimming world at various stages throughout this time, I have always stayed to classes as its a lot to pay if not but to be completely honest have never really enjoyed them and felt inspired or involved, that is until recently, joined my latest group in jan and it is fab, the councillor is fantastic and so enthusiastic and the other members really friendly and encouraging towards each other, it really is helping me at the moment, we do the usual skim around the room congratulating everyone on losses and perking up those that may have sts or put on but the councillor is good at moving everyone on, you all get to have your say in a short and sweet manner but at the same time don't feel rushed, just makes us all to the point, there is nothing worse than listening to someones ramblings for 10 mins a person as i have experienced in other groups! the approach of quickly going around the room gives us chance to discuss topics for the last half hour or so, every week the c has a theme, challenge, food to taste or a menu and we all discuss and bat all our ideas, tips and advice around, i come away every week now with new recipe ideas or tips on what may help improve weight losses etc, i really do enjoy group and think a good one can make a massive difference in a persons weight loss!

I really enjoy my group. It was getting a bit tedious after my first couple of weeks as we had so many members it would last 2 hours. My consultant has now split the group so we have 2 sessions and people can go to whichever they like. We share ideas, tips for quick and easy meals etc and always have a bit of a giggle. We have a facebook page also but as not all members use facebook if we have discussed something on there its always brought up and talked about for those who aren't on facebook so no one feels left out. Met some lovely people :eek:) can't make group this week as I have to work, probably just as well as have had this week pretty much off plan as it was my boyfriends birthday and we already had the celebrations planned before I started sw, but if I wasn't working I'd be going because I know I wouldn't be judged for a gain and just supported to get back on plan. Going to miss not going tomorrow!

In a word: no.

I attended a few meetings last year when I first tried SW. Being a rather unusual-looking person I tend to find people don't treat me with a great deal of warmth generally, and it was the same then. I'm sort of used to it but it's not great when trying to settle in to a supportive atmosphere.

The consultant recognised me from work (a busy labour ward) and wasted no time in telling me all about her daughter's horrible experience there. Nice. Thanks. I'm extremely proud of my workplace and colleagues and hearing them being badmouthed was a real blow.

So, yes, it was offputting. It very rapidly got to the stage where I felt I was paying my money to get weighed and clap. I can do that at home for free. Now I've moved to an area where there's only one local group a week, which means there's no way I can make it happen with my shifts.

I've only been using this forum a week properly and I've already found way more support, advice and friendliness than I ever found at the group. I know it's not the same for everyone but for me, this works. The only thing I'm miffed about is that I won't get my stickers! :D

you can upload your stickers on here under your signature, there is a post under 'off topic' sticky at top of main pages that should explain it all, no need to miss out!!

I went to group every week for 17 weeks, and lost 2.5 stone to get to target

My group got so big from January though, that I just can't be bothered with it. I haven't been in nearly two weeks but just keeping an eye on my weight at home.

I'm a "stay to group" slimmer, and don't understand why people pay their money each week and not stay to benefit from it...it's all down to personal preference I suppose.

I'm also a member of the social team, and absolutely love it! Unfortunately I go to a small group, and we are having problems getting a permanent consultant, but I'm hopeful that we'll get there one day, and have some stability to our little group.

Paula xx

I stay to group and really enjoy it. The help and support that it offers is very useful. I'm starting to get to know some of the other members now too.

I always stay to group but I suppose it can depend on the group too. I changed groups last time I did SW after a while and the consultant there was rubbish and there just wasn't much knowledge in the group, I knew more than the consultant and the group.
As a result I didn't find it very inspiring so stopped going and piled all the weight back on.
This time I'm back with my original consultant and loving group again.

I always comment on these threads, haha. I live in an apartment in the city centre, so to go to any group is a few miles on the bus. As I don't pay for travel passes generally as I can walk to work in 10 mins, walk to supermarkets in similar time, I wanted to combine the things I do need to fork out for, so I go to group on a Tuesday. I leave for group straight from work and have to leave early, usually about 6pm to make sure I can get back home, have 15 minutes for tea and leave for my choir rehearsal (which is another few miles in the opposite direction!)

Lately, after having loads of new members, and having a few busy nights I've been leaving straight away, and tonight I *want* to stay (having just joined the FB group etc) but I feel like if I do alright this week I might be viewed as someone who only stays when they're getting attention... and I'm not that sort at all! I'm gonna stay anyway as I feel I'll benefit from the bit of IT I can stay for, and there's a lady there I want to ask about a recipe from taster night and I know I do better when I have the focus of the actual group there, rather than just the scales and no dealing with what happens either way

Last edited:
I just cant understand why anyone would join/pay for Slimming World and come to Class to weigh in then leave week in - week out like a lot of people do? They are basically paying to stand on a set of scales and It would make more sense to do it alone at Home and not pay the fee's!!

Myself i have been at Club now for 9 weeks this coming Wednesday and Lost 1 Stone 9lbs, i stay every week at class as thats where you learn tips/recipes and help motivate each other. My Consultant took average total losses of who stay at class and who weigh and go..the stayers losses are double the totals to the ones who leave..speaks volumes :)

Back