Do you *have* to eat your healthy extras each day?

SummerDiary

Just wondering if the healthy extras have to be eaten every day, or will it make a difference if I don't get them in? Last night I realised I hadn't had any healthy extra B for the day so I forced down two Alpen Light bars - which I didn't even want as I was stuffed after dinner - just to be sure I got something in. But it seems counterproductive to be having an extra 200 calories worth of food I didn't want to eat when I'm trying to lose weight! Any thoughts?

As far as I understand, you have to have the HE for the whole grains and fibre contained in them. As for the Alpen light bars, they are listed as a S speed slim for just one bar or you can eat two for no speed slim so you needn't force two down if you are worried about the calories.

I usually remember to have the HEXB but some days I don't bother. As for the HEXA I don't have it half the time because I don't have milk and I think it is stupid to force cheese into every day just for the sake of getting my healthy extra allowance in! I asked my leader if it was okay and she said it was fine.

A is for calcium and B is for fibre. If you think you are already getting enough of these from other foods, then fine.

Calcium is very important not just for your health now, but to avoid osteoporosis in later life. If you aren't having your A healthy extra, then it would be a good idea to look for other foods which are high in calcium.

No you don't; you're consultant is right. I rarely used to eat all of my HEA as I used it for milk for cereal and tea, unless I had a fancy coffee out or cheese with a meal. Like someone has said it is good for the calcium content. I found it easier to use the HEB up though! I would say concentrate on eating your HE before eating your syns from a health point of view but I never found not eating all of my daily allowance hindered my weight loss as I was at target right the way through to month 4 of my pregnancy!

I had this discussion in group last week and my consultant said it can make a difference in your weight loss but everyone is different but for most cases you neec both hex each day. a
I never use to use my HEX A as i am not really a milk or cheese lover but my weight gain and loss has been up and down since i joined but i never thought anything of it but i am having both my hex's this week to see if it makes a difference to me or not it has made a difference to one of the other ladies at my group, ill let yous know how i get on on thursday

I had this discussion in group last week and my consultant said it can make a difference in your weight loss but everyone is different but for most cases you neec both hex each day. a
I never use to use my HEX A as i am not really a milk or cheese lover but my weight gain and loss has been up and down since i joined but i never thought anything of it but i am having both my hex's this week to see if it makes a difference to me or not it has made a difference to one of the other ladies at my group, ill let yous know how i get on on thursday

How did you get on??

I'm also one of those people who hardly ever gets their HEA in. I don't like milk either, and don't drink hot drinks & will only have cheese if I remember and it actually goes with my main meal.

How did you get on??

I'm also one of those people who hardly ever gets their HEA in. I don't like milk either, and don't drink hot drinks & will only have cheese if I remember and it actually goes with my main meal.

I got on alright lost 1lb that week but i never really had much milk this week either and lost 1lb again so i am going to try have all my HEA again this week and see what happens.

I have been struggling to eat both my HE-A &HE-B on most days. I find that I'm planning my meals to include cheese for no reason rather than eat a lump of cheese out of the fridge (because I don't drink milk and all the yoghurt I eat are syn free anyway) as for HE-B I'm still as fussy but have been forcing wholemeal bread or ryvita again just to make sure I get them. My consultant told me that missing a day or so shouldn't be a big issue but missing several days at a time could cause problems in the long run... :)

I have been struggling to eat both my HE-A &HE-B on most days. I find that I'm planning my meals to include cheese for no reason rather than eat a lump of cheese out of the fridge (because I don't drink milk and all the yoghurt I eat are syn free anyway) as for HE-B I'm still as fussy but have been forcing wholemeal bread or ryvita again just to make sure I get them. My consultant told me that missing a day or so shouldn't be a big issue but missing several days at a time could cause problems in the long run... :)

So where is the calcium in your diet?

I try to use cheese or milk in my recipes to get the HexA and have Weetabix Mini Crisp as a snack for my HexB
Yesterday was the first day I'd realised a lack of HexA just before bed and used my allowance of milk to make a hot choc :)

i am managing to get my hex's in most days and it is working for me, ive lost every week for the past 6 weeks or so with a 2.5 loss last week and a 4.5 loss this week so i think it does help, but every one is different

I cant eat gluten and I don't really like the gluten free alternatives so I don't always eat my HEB but try to have my A choice, although I do go without sometimes, it has never really made a difference to my weight loss. I usually tend to eat them if I have used all my syns and am still hungry but don't want free foods!

Back