Do you know your triggers?

HellieCopter

Gold Member
It's funny, but it's taken me such a long time to realise exactly what my danger zone is for eating and drinking...boredom.

The revelation came to me last night, when I was in a bit of a sulk, because OH hadn't taken the mahoosive hint (ie. me asking him directly to do something last night) that I wanted to do something for bank hol. There was crap on the telly, I'd done all the cleaning jobs, finished my book, had a bath...and just couldn't think of anything else to do. I hate being bored and I was bored. So I kept wandering into the kitchen and hunting in the cupboards for stuff to eat. Anything.
I managed to keep myself quite in check, but I had quite a 'sod it' attitude in my head, that I had to keep reining in. It was horrible and I just realised....boredom is my trigger. Not comfort eating or emotional eating.

It's strange that I'd not really noticed it before. Well, I had a bit, but didn't think it was such an issue...I thought it was more me being a greedy sod or whatever.

Do you know what your triggers are? Would be interesting to hear what you think...and whether you do anything about it...

H x

Boredom is definitely one for me too but I think most of my snacking and 'bad' eating is purely habit. I am in the study now on the puter and feel like I should be eating something but if I was in the living room watching tv it wouldnt even cross my mind that I needed a snack. x x

Boredom and if I have a day when everything goes wrong.....I also have arthritis and if I have a bad pain day that tends to trigger of a bad eating day too.

Mine is habit, i.e. eating at a certain time, even if i am not hungry.

Im so used to Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner that i religiously eat all 3 despite what i have had inbetween.

I now eat when i am hungry and dont have rigid times for things because it can lead me to overeating.

When I feel tired or pissed off, thats my triggers. I tended also to get thr munchies when dehydrated !!, I thought I was hungry but not.

Phil x

Im an angry eater!! .. i pratically emptied the cupboards of pasta earlier just so i could angry eat after a little tiff with the OH .. ( also over a massive hint not taken!! funny how they can do that so easily eh?? LOL)

i love to angry eat LOL means you can 'accidently' slam doors whilst cooking haha

xxx

I think mine is boredom and habit. As when i was sitting at home all day i would be so bored and i would sit and watch the tv so i'd have to have a cuppa with some biscuits and some cakes etc!! Now if i have to have something whilst watching the tv i try to make it fruit!

i love to angry eat LOL means you can 'accidently' slam doors whilst cooking haha

xxx

That's so funny!!! I cook and slam angrily too!!! LOL! I often accompany it with a well timed "fine!" *slam*

I try not to 'fine' too much, just incase it's mistaked for agreement LOL.. i usually stick with 'whatever!' or when asked whats for tea.. i say '' whatever your cooking yourself!'' accompanyed by a smirk haha xxx

Mine is boredom mainly as well as habit.
TV I do associate with food and actually time my tea to co-incide with Emmerdale - LOL!
I do find the Nintendo DS a Godsend though as when playing that in the evenings time flies by without me contemplating food - likewise the Wii.

Jill

Funny you should start this thread as a friend and I were having a deep "psychological" conversation the other day (we do this often) and we started trying to explore things like this. For example I've done this diet 4 times, this is my 5th and adter about 6-8 weeks when I start sabotaging myself and it's not until a week or two later I notice it.

I've always had a big appitite, I like food not just "bad" food, but food in general. Which is why I like SW because I know I can eat until I'm full and still loose weight.

Anyway we seem to of summised its one of two things; I've always been fat and then very fat, I've only even grown. I've never been skinny to so I have no idea what that feels or looks like, so it could be that subconciously I ruin it because I'm scared I wont like who I've become so I don't let it get that far.

The other reason, possibly like many of you, is that I'm always the first to make a joke about my weight, being the big girl so that others can't get there first and I'm very; "this is who I am, like it or p**s off". And I'm worried that if I'm thin and look different and I'm what society thinks is 'sexy' or 'attractive' then people will be fake towards me, because I think that the friends I've got and partners I've had can't possibly of liked me for the way I looked, so they must like me as a person and again if I'm thin then there is always that possibilty that people wont like me for me.

I equate it to when I came out. Anyone I meet these days I always tell them I'm gay as I had a bad experience once where I got to know someone really well, was good friends with them, came out to them and they completely changed towards me. So I won't let that happen again, but how do you do that with being thin? Wear a fat suit until you know they're honest? I don't think so!!

Sorry for the long rant, but it feels so much better to get that off my chest.

Natt xxx

My trigger is badness! I eat okay 90% of the time, but if I have ANYTHING 'bad' I can't stop. I can avoid all temptation and be fine, but once I have one naughty thing (like one biscuit at work) I go straight into "sod it" and will devour them all. I definitely need to find a balance where one flapjack bite doesn't ruin the whole day.

My trigger is badness! I eat okay 90% of the time, but if I have ANYTHING 'bad' I can't stop. I can avoid all temptation and be fine, but once I have one naughty thing (like one biscuit at work) I go straight into "sod it" and will devour them all. I definitely need to find a balance where one flapjack bite doesn't ruin the whole day.
I totally agree, I'm very similar - why didn't I just say that?! It's that horrible m word again!

Funny you should start this thread as a friend and I were having a deep "psychological" conversation the other day (we do this often) and we started trying to explore things like this. For example I've done this diet 4 times, this is my 5th and adter about 6-8 weeks when I start sabotaging myself and it's not until a week or two later I notice it.

I've always had a big appitite, I like food not just "bad" food, but food in general. Which is why I like SW because I know I can eat until I'm full and still loose weight.

Anyway we seem to of summised its one of two things; I've always been fat and then very fat, I've only even grown. I've never been skinny to so I have no idea what that feels or looks like, so it could be that subconciously I ruin it because I'm scared I wont like who I've become so I don't let it get that far.

The other reason, possibly like many of you, is that I'm always the first to make a joke about my weight, being the big girl so that others can't get there first and I'm very; "this is who I am, like it or p**s off". And I'm worried that if I'm thin and look different and I'm what society thinks is 'sexy' or 'attractive' then people will be fake towards me, because I think that the friends I've got and partners I've had can't possibly of liked me for the way I looked, so they must like me as a person and again if I'm thin then there is always that possibilty that people wont like me for me.

I equate it to when I came out. Anyone I meet these days I always tell them I'm gay as I had a bad experience once where I got to know someone really well, was good friends with them, came out to them and they completely changed towards me. So I won't let that happen again, but how do you do that with being thin? Wear a fat suit until you know they're honest? I don't think so!!

Sorry for the long rant, but it feels so much better to get that off my chest.

Natt xxx

oh honey, thats so sad that you see yourself so badly.
as for being gay, anyone who is so easily affected by your choices )(and add to that colour of skin or accent) then they are not worth knowing.
i too sagotaged my own dieting (i am slimmer now than i was at 16!) my dh and i nearly split up because he was convinced id run off with another man :rolleyes:, he couldnt see id done this for us, not for me...
my ability to judge myself is still distorted, i still look for 20s and not 14s, i still get the chair without arms (so my bum wont be squashed) but slowly im getting the confidence to say, "this is me" and stuff anyone who doesnt like it.
dh says im a chocolate bar, all hard on the outside and squigy inside, hes right, id do care too much about others opinions, but slowly i am getting harder - wish i had done it 15 years ago.
tc
xx

thank you for your reply tc, I am hoping that now I have identified it I can tackle it. I've made a point of noting on the calender when 6-8 weeks are and I'm going to make sure I don't come off the rails, I'm the same with regards to chairs and so on, things like thinking if dinning chairs and beds etc. at friends houses will take my weight and things like that. I know this is my 5th time doing this and I know it works so hopefully with the support of everyone here I wont give up.

Natt xxx

Mine is habit plain and simple it has no reflection on my mood any more. I will over eat and there is no point to it, even when I am not bored if there is food there I will nibble!! Or I some how feel that I will be missing out if I don't have it so I eat it and feel bad!!

Mine is almost always because I get too hungry. I KNOW it is one of the first rules of dieting, but have occasionally gone shopping hungry and come back with a mahoosive bag of crap and nothing to actually make a meal from.................which leads to the other trigger- hating waste..

I find it incredibly difficult to throw food away and even if it something I don't really want to eat, Ithink I should eat it becuase waste is bad (guess this stems from being brought up in relative poverty- all food was sacred)

I am getting over this slowly- I read a book once called 'Overcoming overeating' which said that eating something you don't want is STILL WASTING IT, so you might as well put it in the bin- I love that

Great thread, mate xxxx

^ That is so true, took me a long time to realise that I was 'allowed' to throw food away - I still try to clear my plate every time!
But it's your money, your food and your body so what you do with that food is up to you and no ones else's business.

Oh I can totally identify with the not-wasting-food thing. Always brought up to clear my plate. Seconds were encouraged. Food was never, ever, ever chucked in the bin. My dad would always save it to eat later or make something out of tomorrow - which is fine, except I feel like I just had to have it there and then, you know? Not much ever got saved for tomorrow in our house! It does now though. I am much better at managing it. Still that little voice in my head though...must eat it, can't throw it away. Have paid for it, must consume, must consume...

My relationship with food is coloured by my childhood. The only real time I ever got praised was when I cleared my plate, or as a reward for being well behaved ie quiet! Or poorly. Consequently I used food as a reward for being good, or as a consolation if I was miserable. The other trigger is hormones, not that I have many left these days :rolleyes:, but every 6 weeks or so I feel out of kilter and crave sweet stuff, and I don't have a sweet tooth.

Back