Do you need the SW Meetings ?

^^ I do, Im at uni and I have a timetable that changes every week and lessons Mon- Fri, so I cant go to daytime meetings and the evening ones are so far away from where I live.

But I miss the meetings, the pain of guilt when I mess up and the support that I can do better next week and the ideas that people have and the stories- I love the mini community.

I just wanted to hear other peoples thoughts about whether they go to meetings and how they cope.

Thanks

Yes I do go to my SW meetings, if I didn't my weight would just keep on going up because I wouldn't stick to the plan on my own. Even if you have a bad week and gain, still best to go and "draw a line under it" and get on with a new week.

I don't go to class as the daytime ones are too far away and I can't attend evening ones because of my working hours. Not that I have anything to compare to, but I don't really feel that I need the meetings. I suppose it all depends.

I am doing this for myself, not so that a class or consultant can say 'well done'. I don't have any trouble sticking to the plan because I want to lose this weight far more than I want any given food at any given moment. When I remind myself of that, I am fine. If I need advice or feel my motivation slipping or need inspiration I come on here :) This is my SW community. And I have access to it 24-7 instead of once per week!

I think it comes down to self-confidence and belief. If you can't attend class you need to be your own kick up the backside! I think you need to sit down and tell yourself exactly why you want to lose weight. Then you are well armed to remind yourself of it if needs be.

i have always attended my meeting at slimming world and have found it so so useful. i have lost more by doing this ( i used to do w/w and never stayed.) everyone is so helpful and a lot of members stay aswell.

Yes, I most certainly do need the meetings :)
I'm also doing this for myself, but I need the support of a group and I know that if I didn't go I'd regain my weight. I need the discipline more than the support.
Plus I have very good friends there, I help out, and we have a good laugh!

i need the support of the group plus im new to the area and dont have any friends here so its good to beable to get out and speak to other adults once a week :)

I couldn't do it without the meetings either. I stay each week and it really helps.

However, if I couldn't get to one, I would sign up on line as at least that way, I can officially log my weight somewhere each week which I think is really helpful. I would then join the weekly weight in team for my day on here and use that as a cyber IT session. A diary on here is probably good too so you can do your own IT and look back and review your progress.

I could do it without the meetings and sometimes I only weigh and go when I'm busy. However, what I cannot do is go without that weigh in. That's what keeps me disciplined enough to stick to plan. You can't cheat on what the consultant's scales say. If I was doing it on my own I'm sure that I would often say I'll be good next week so it's ok to have this binge now because of some feeble excuse. I would end up doing that more and more and the weight would pile back on.

I'm scared at how easily I put weight on when I go on holiday and don't stick to plan and I'm terrified of getting to target and trying to maintain. I'm going to have to carry on going to group for a long time after I reach target because that weigh in will keep me focused.

Having said that, I do stay to group most weeks and find it very supportive. I think you have to be very disciplined to be successful without going to group.

I dont go to the meetings as I have trouble getting to them due to the times. I thought I would need them but because I have done SW before I am actually doing well so far without them.
The support on here is great and I find if I come on here each day I stick to it!

I know that I wouldn't be able to manage without the group each week. I'm like jaylou really that it is more about being more disciplined than needing the support. Plus I have made loads of new friends and heard lots of yummy recipes by going to group :)

Could you not join your local group as a shift worker, and then just attend the weeks you haven't got lectures?

I dont go to class. Its cost and time that puts me off so i stay at home. I do ok and when i fail i only have myself to blame so, as long as i get back on it ill be fine!

I could do it without the meetings and sometimes I only weigh and go when I'm busy. However, what I cannot do is go without that weigh in. That's what keeps me disciplined enough to stick to plan. You can't cheat on what the consultant's scales say. If I was doing it on my own I'm sure that I would often say I'll be good next week so it's ok to have this binge now because of some feeble excuse. I would end up doing that more and more and the weight would pile back on.

I'm scared at how easily I put weight on when I go on holiday and don't stick to plan and I'm terrified of getting to target and trying to maintain. I'm going to have to carry on going to group for a long time after I reach target because that weigh in will keep me focused.

Having said that, I do stay to group most weeks and find it very supportive. I think you have to be very disciplined to be successful without going to group.

Absolutely agree, for me its the scales that keep me going, I don't stay to class that often due to work and other commitments, but the fear of that scales keeps me going every week!!!

That said, I know people who have and do go it alone and they have done extremely well... I guess I'm not strong enough to at the minute though!

xxxxxxxx

I really did think that I would need the structure and discipline of being answerable to a group, but there isn't one that I can get to easily, so I have no choice but to go it alone.
But actually, it's been totally fine! As Sockmonkey said, I am doing this for me, not to hear a consultant saying well done. There is more than enough support and advice on here (more than I could ever imagine would be available in a group which only meets once a week) and thankfully, I am honest enough with myself to admit when I am kidding myself - so I don't get into that 'telling myself eating 4 mars bars is fine' thing, just because I don't feel like I've got a consultant looking over my shoulder all the time!

At the end of the day, it is down to each one of us to put in the effort to lose the weight we want to, and no group or consultant can make you do it.

Last edited:
Back