Do you really need 15 syns?

sarahaa

Hi all, I've cut back a little on my syns recently, trying to limit to 10 per day, and have been successful most days but my question to you is this... Do I need to be having 15 syns, and what's the arguments for and against having less syns?

My reason for asking is because I was looking through an old post that said you need to aim to have all 15....
sarah cxx

Syns are an easy thing to cut back on if you get stuck later on. I am cutting back to 10 this week as I've had a yoyo couple of weeks so hoping 10 a day will kickstart it. If you start off on 5, you don't really have anything to cut back when times get tough. That's my understanding of it anyhow! X

I'm not sure what the rationale would be for needing to use all 15. I rarely use more than 8 and have lost steadily since I started. The only way it would make sense is that if you started to lose more slowly I suppose you could cut down on Syns to perhaps give your weight loss a boost.

You dont need to use all your syns each day but it is not recommended to completely cut them out or very low for more than a few days as it often leads to binging. 15 is the maximum you should be having, I think it is tial and error to find what works for you but not to be hard on yourself on the days when you get to 15 or thereabouts.

Most people should aim for around ten syns a day.

As for "not needing them", why wouldn't you? A dollop of mayo, ketchup, gravy, maybe a biscuit or two and they're all gone.

Cutting down on syns wouldn't give you that much of a boost - we're talking about 100 calories here surely?

PS - old posts can give the wrong information.......

The way to boost your weight loss is to look for speed and superspeed foods and increase the superfree with each meal.

The syns are part of the plan as much as anything else and like other things on sw it might be confusing to understand why and how the plan works etc but it does work with using syns and they can be enjoyed.
It does say up to 15 syns though so no you dont have to have them all everyday I suppose but I did and lost lots of weight doing so :) I never cut back on them when I got closer to my target either but then I suppose everyones different and I did shake up things in other ways, success express etc

I always have a limit of 70 syns per week but know that shud I need them say for meal out etc, I have an extra 35 syns I can use.

I aim for 70 syns a week, so I know that if I do forget the odd bit of milk in my coffee for example, I have the extra unused syns to fall back on, does that make sense?? It's still early lol

Our cons told us to look at the start of the week with 70 syns too and count down as you use them. And I personally had to reduce to 5 syns a day as I got near to target, but that may well just have been me.

I find I have better losses when I have all 15 of my syns, but dont go over, when I have less syns I always seem to have smaller losses, Im really not sure why..but Im happy for any excuse to increase my chocolate lol

The syns are part of the plan as much as anything else and like other things on sw it might be confusing to understand why and how the plan works etc but it does work with using syns and they can be enjoyed.
It does say up to 15 syns though so no you dont have to have them all everyday I suppose but I did and lost lots of weight doing so :) I never cut back on them when I got closer to my target either but then I suppose everyones different and I did shake up things in other ways, success express etc

Was just about to say this Emsie - people forget that the syns are as much of the plan as the free foods and healthy extras etc. I have had 15 syns a day on average for the last 16 months and have lost 4 stone. I will only start cutting them back when I stop losing x

I usually have about 5 syns during the week so that I can be a bit more flexible at the weekend. I'm not sure everyone would agree with that but it works for me. I find it pretty easy to stick to the plan during the week but the weekends can be more difficult so having extra syns to fall back on makes it easier.

You can have anywhere between 5 and 15. Its up to you if you want to use 10, 15, 7...whatever. The bigger you are the better it is to have more so you have something to cut back on later when you start struggling.

I have to have closer to 10 syns...sometimes I loose a lot better when I have closer to 15.

My consultant believes its something to do with how active I am and my metabolism. I was having 5-10 but usually closer to 5 syns a day for weeks and was maintaining every week, I was thinking of trying 5 everyday but my consultant told me to have 10 a day instead, I honestly couldn't see how it would work and was terrified of gaining that week, but I did it and I started loosing again.

I can't explain it, but I'm not going to complain, if my body wants more chocolate to loose weight then I'm not going to argue with it

It's great to see everyone's point of view, thank you. I guess I will see how things ppan out over the next few weigh ins

Sarah xxxx

I'm fairly new to this but like others have said, i tend to stick to 5-10 syns per day then i have some to fall back on if i slip up somewhere. I am also really finding it hard to let myself use syns throughout the day as i feel a bit panicy if i use a lot in case i need them later. But this is why SW is so good for me, as when I was counting calories/points i was scared to eat anything in case i ran out of calories/points too early in the day. At least with SW i can eat my 3 meals a day and not worry at all cos of all the lovely free food! I am probably averaging about 7 syns per day at the moment. Haven't yet had a day where i have used all of them, i always like to have a few spare for emergencies :eek:

I was always told to use 10Syns max and i have that stuck in my head so i never go above it. 15 syns is a lot to me, and not necessary when you need to loose weight!

I would say have at least 5 a day. My C often says that if you are exercising have the upper end of your syns. TBH I usually have between 10 and 15 and have good losses. I feel that for me having a little chocolate or a bag of crisps allows this to be a plan that can be stuck to. By denying myself things like that I will have a major binge. They are part of the plan and should be enjoyed...don't feel guilty about having them.

Back