Do you think eating too much fruit can effect weight loss?

pamelamc

Ive heard a few people saying that you should really limit your fruit intake because of the natural sugars. Has anybody experienced this?
I love my fruit and would struggle without it. Pineapple keeps me away from chocolate! ! Xx

At the start of the diet, I was eating a lot of different fruits. My weight loss was good (see my graph below) but only recently me & my other half (also on SW) cut out bananas, which are probably one of my favourite fruits but if you have a lot, they are not so great for weight loss. They aren't speed food! - Now, we stick to the superspeed/speed fruits like strawberries, raspberries, cherries and watermelon etc. The weight loss seems to have had a new kick start! It hasn't effected my weight loss at all. Just drink plenty of water if you do go over the top with them but honestly, one day, I went through 2 and a half massive tubs of strawberries when I was out in the garden & still lost weight the next day!

No, no, no, no, no and no again.

On slimming world fruit will not affect your weight loss. All fruit is super free. Agreed, some may not be speed or super speed, but they are all super free.

Its never the fruit. It's always something else.

Phew!!! Im so relived cause I absolutely love my fruit. Eat tonnes of strawberries and pineapple a day.
Thanks for getting back to me xx

I eat loads of fruit, always have and always will. Last week I probably had about 6 portions per day, including a banana!

so far today I have had strawberries, raspberries and an apple and its not even lunchtime.

Enjoy it. Xx

I was wondering this a few weeks ago as my weight loss had slowed and I was struggling. I went back to basics and reduced my fruit intake a little and started loosing weight again.....however I now believe this was due to following the plan 100% rather than reducing fruit!

I eat loads of fruit, I have a banana every morning too on top of my weetabix, and loads of various fruits throughout the day. Put it this way if the pineapple is keeping you away for the chocolate then it's doing its job, you would need to eat a hell of a lot of pineapple to equal the calorie content of a chocolate bar! Keep doing what our doing, your doing fine.

its when you start to feel deprived that things will go wrong and the chocolate will start to look even more appealing, so keep yourself feeling satisfied on that fruit! X x

I don't feel deprived at all so im quite happy but i suppose there's always going to be someone saying you can't do this or you shouldn't do that!!!

The weights coming off so I'll keep going. Thanks everybody for your comments xx

it will impact your weightloss if you try to eat too much of it. The point of it been super free is that you tend to fill up on it, therefore you arent eating, as you say, chocolate.

I find that when i eat more fruit my losses slow down a little, yet when i eat more veg they speed up.. weird i know but it's just how my body reacts.
When i do eat fruit i tend to stick to strawberries, grapes, pineapple. :)

I think it depends on how much your having really. If your having it as a snack, or your hungry, or with meals etc then great - but if your having it just for the sake of eating it then it's just extra calories you didn't need. I love fruit and do have quite a bit and like you it stops me craving chocolate and sweets so that's great, but I have seen that some people eat it even when full just because they think they should - that might not help with weight loss as much!

xx

Omg I wondered about this too!! I eat soooooooooo much fruit like pineapple strawberries and raspberries! Like as a snack or Brekky! My husband keeps saying "cut back on the fruit it is filled with sugar" but I think it's better them eating a chocolate bar or bag if crisps (5 in my case)!

So glad it's ok haha thanx

I was wondering about this also, I'm only 1 month into SW but am finding I'm eating LOADS of fruit, staying on plan, but not losing - if it's not the fruit must be something else (I've started a weight loss diary on Minimins so hopefully I'll work it out soon

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

I was wondering about this also, I'm only 1 month into SW but am finding I'm eating LOADS of fruit, staying on plan, but not losing - if it's not the fruit must be something else (I've started a weight loss diary on Minimins so hopefully I'll work it out soon

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

If the figures on your profile are right, you are bang in the middle of the healthy weight bmi, losing even a few pounds is going to be very very difficult.

Sorry but it won't be the fruit - it wil be something else.

Fruit is superfree and should be your first choice for snacks.

Re BMI - I have a girl who has lost 7lb in 3 weeks and is in the healthy BMI range.

Still in the early stages of the plan, but I am loving the fact that eating plenty of fruit is possible on SW.

If the figures on your profile are right, you are bang in the middle of the healthy weight bmi, losing even a few pounds is going to be very very difficult.

Thanks - yep my profile is right. Maybe that's why not a lot is happening then - will keep persevering though!

Sorry but it won't be the fruit - it wil be something else.

Fruit is superfree and should be your first choice for snacks.

Re BMI - I have a girl who has lost 7lb in 3 weeks and is in the healthy BMI range.

Thanks - I'd like to think I can lose the remaining lbs I want to, you're prob right it must be something else. I was told I'm intolerant to cows milk and have been having a LOT of fat free yogurts (which of course are cows milk) - so if its true then it's possible the way my body is reacting to the yoghurt is to hold onto it ;)
Might try goats yoghurt for a week and see if I feel any different. I'll have to hunt for it though as Ive not spotted fat free goats yoghurt in the shops I go to

On an average day I probably have a whole punnet of grapes, 2 or 3 apples, a pear, a banana and half a melon and it's not affected my weight loss. I'm a grazer so being able to eat these types of things helps and as a result I probably end up eating less for my main meals. For some reason my meal doesnt feel complete without dessert so fruit is really good for that.

Back