Do you think slimming world works for everyone?

Bernadette and mum

Sometimes just seems like I'm following plan 100% and still gaining 1/2lb or STS, just wonder do you think the plan works for EVERYONE if they give it 100%? Maybe it's just an off week now and again?

Last edited:
Like any diet, SW will work if you follow it 100%. Unfortunately life gets in the way sometimes giving us a gain or STS or sometimes our bodies just play up and don't follow the path we'd like. If you stick to the plan long term, are sensible about it (ie not eating shedloads of pasta etc just because they're 'free' foods) then yes I honestly do think it will work.
Don't be disheartened by the odd gain/Sts...it happens...it's what you do afterwards and how you change things up to continue with your progress that matters.
Keep your head up :)

Sometimes just seems like I'm following plan 100% and still gaining 1/2lb or STS, just wonder do you think the plan works for EVERYONE if they give it 100%? Maybe it's just an off week now and again?

Hmmm I'm not sure hun it worked for me and I'm sure it would work for most but there are always exceptions.

Do you have a diary on here?

Have you reviewed your portion sizes? I know we have unlimited free foods, but you need to ensure your super free is a third of every meal and I would make it a little more if you are struggling to lose. I sometimes have 50/50 on my plate. X

All I know is it didn't work for me.And yes I did stick to it 100% but cereals,bread etc that I was eating just didn't help me loss the weight.That is why I change my eating plan and haven't looked back.:)

Cereals and bread?? On SW?? You don't get much cereal or bread at all for your Healthy Extra. It's pretty much the most restricted thing - and you haven't 'got' to have it anyway. I'm not sure I understand this.

Have you reviewed your portion sizes? I know we have unlimited free foods, but you need to ensure your super free is a third of every meal and I would make it a little more if you are struggling to lose. I sometimes have 50/50 on my plate. X

I think it's really important to remember the superfree - it seems the most important thing, esp with EE. And checking the syns in things. When I was at my most successful at SW I would always write it BEFORE I ate it, as it's so easy to forget about the biscuit you ate in the morning after the rest of the days events and think you have syns left to use.

I think SW should work for everyone but I also think that it doesn't fit in with everyone's lifestyles and food choices and changes have to be made to how they eat on the plans.

If you can't eat cereal or bread then don't, eat dried or cooked fruit, or nuts and seeds as a B choice, if you think that the much maligned carbohydrate stops you losing weight then don't eat them, eat pulses instead, if you think bananas stop you losing eat apples..... you get my drift.

Portion size is a big one on SW - when I first joined years ago I had very large portions, now I still eat a big portion but I am conscious of being full and how much pasta/rice/potatoes I am using.

SW works but you have to find out how it works for you. If not, there are tons of other diets out there - believe me, I've tried them!

I think any diet will work for someone if they follow it 100%.
all diets work differently so it's just about finding one that is right for you and your lifestyle.
ive done sw, ww, rc and slim fast and they have all worked for me but then decided sw was the best to suit my lifestyle.
after doing rc though it did make me realise I needed to cut down my portion sizes when I came back to sw, too much free food never helped me much and I had very small losses. This time I'm focusing on having more super free foods and keeping the other stuff on my plate minimal :) xxx

I did SW green a few years back and it worked for a while but then just stopped even although I stuck to it 100%. I stayed on it for months too with no loss and I was still very overweight.
I'm back on it again on EE and so far I'm losing slowly although I've had 2 STS there so I'm getting worried. But like Jaylou says I'm just going to experiment with it to see what works for me as I'm in no hurry really.

See if you'd asked me this last year I'd have said yes definitely.

However now, I'm not 100% certain :(

I rejoined Sw 30th July this year. I did really well and lost about 10lb until September when I had major surgery. During my time away I gained almost all of that 10lb back. I tried and failed to get back onto plan, kept having a little loss on a good week, and a huge gain on an 'off' week.

These past 3 weeks I've stuck to plan really well. Lost 1.5lb, gained 2.5lb (had an Indian the night before however was completely within plan except for a slice of cheesecake). My third WI is tonight, and I have been angelic. I seriously need a decent loss to give me a really good boost as my faith is starting to wain and I really don't want it to.

I have always done EE and have fantastic losses if I do red days, however found them expensive and difficult to manage. However this week I've done a mixture of red and green and only 1 EE day.

Ill return after WI tonight and let you know my thoughts! As of my WI last week, I was 1/2lb lighter than when I rejoined in July. X

Back