Do you worry about your children noticing?

dolly_daydream

I was a bit concerned at first but then I remembered about the soups and I have always had soup for lunch and sometimes used to make oaties for breakfast which I explained to my 4 year old as juzzzed (she has always called my blender a juzzer lol) up porridge. And dinner I always eat when shes in bed so I thought maybe it wont b a problem. But while I'm waiting for my pack I'm just taking three meal replacement shakes a day and the first day she noticed and asked why I hadn't had anything to eat. I tried to explain I was getting some soup soon and then just pretended I forgot to eat my breakfast.

I have to admit it does worry me a bit. Just wondered if anyone else had experienced the same and how they handled it? Thanks.xx

Ive told my kids that im on a diet and that they can help me get slim. They are fine with it and they always say to me.."your not fat".. bless em.

I'm funny with telling them I'm on a diet, I try to tell my daughter I want to lose weight to be healthy instead of mentioning anything size related just in case it affects her in anyway....she is not in the slightest over weight at all, in fact is a sparrow but you read stories about girls as young as 6 or 7 having body image issues so it still worries me that I might be setting a bad example.

I think I will probably just continue trying to bluff it, pretend my shake is an oatie and put my soup in a bowl and eat it at lunch so at least it looks like I'm eating something.xx

Its weird ive always cooked my kids a proper meal everyday and they never miss breakfast and are really healthy and none of them are overweight..... but me i never eat breakfast and usually eat my evening meal when theyve gone to bed which usually was a takeaway. So me having the shakes makes no difference to them really.

I'm the same, I always had my evening meal when they were in bed coz I like to relax. Kiddies dinner time is too hectic lol!! Thinking about it I never really always ate breakfast either, I'm sure I'm probably over thinking things just becoz she mentioned it. She hasn't mentioned it since so fingers crossed it was just a one off and she wont take any notice any more.xx

Yes, I'm with u too. I want my three girls to grow up and dieting isn't the norm.... So I don't really talk about it, the are three and two. They offer ne some of their food and I just decline and say I'm not hungry so don't think its occured to them. As like you all I eat dinner when they r in bed, so I still tell them I will have nine with daddy later. It seems to be ok x

This is something I can totally relate to. I have five children ages ranging from 14 to 3. We always sit down for dinner as a family but since I've been doing Exante I can't face sitting there watching them all eat :-( my youngest son asks the most questions being only 3 he doesn't understand why mummy isn't eating. I tell him I'm having my special soup but he still doesn't understand. My eldest daughter said to me 'mummy I feel really sorry for you, you have to cook us all dinner every night but you can't eat it'. Obviously the older children know I am on a diet but It is hard as you want to install them with body confidence but they are seeing a very different reality. Children pick up on an awful lot and I'd hate to think that my eating habits are effecting them in anyway. I miss sitting down as a family for the evening meal. I never want to go back to my start weight once this journey is over. Being overweight effects not only me but it effects my family too x

Thats exactly how I feel perfectpudding. Although we only have family dinners a few times a week we also tend to have family brekkie over the weekends,my husband works unsociable hrs so this drives a lot of our meal times. I have two girls and my youngest is 14 months so I still feed her, at the moment I'm coping fine being around food as I have a genuine want not to eat, which also worries me a bit but I'm only going into day 3 so I'm sure this will change soon.

But I do worry about the message I'm sending my four year old but like you I just say its special soup and tell her I have my dinner when dad gets home which isnt unusual for her, she seems to accept it ok. And at the end of the day I don't want her to accept that being obese is normal or ok, if it was just size related then maybe it would be but its the health issues that come with it which I have also explained to her in my own way, as I was poorly a while back. You cant win really!!

However I think we shud just focus on getting through this and being the great example to our kids we want to be, slim but more importantly healthy for life.xx

We always sit at the table for breakfast and dinners also for lunch if we are all at home together. Since starting Exante I have explained to my sons that I am trying to lose some weight so i can keep up with them when we are doing activities and holidays. They have always been great balanced eaters and Ive learned a lot from them to be fair. I give them a meal, if they are full they stop eating, they dont want something sweet after. I am proud of how well they eat and Im so glad I havent passed on my bad habits.

They dont seem to notice me having my shakes and bar. I just tell them I'm having my meal later but they dont really ask. I still sit with them at meal times for a chat and laugh!

I've really found this a struggle as well. We always sit down for dinner together, my three are 4,3 and 1 And my two eldest asked me why I wasn't eating so I told them my tummy was sore and the doctor had given me special food to make it better :) It's the only thing I could think to say. I really miss eating with them; every day they ask me if I'm having dinner with them :( Looking forward to all eating together again soon

I am a single parent to a 3 yr old and before now I have always sat down and eaten breakfast, lunch and tea with her, always a healthy meal (a lot of chocolate and crisps and cakes consumed when she is in bed ha ha). I didn't think she would pick up on it but as soon as the delivery arrived questions were asked, then when I started the diet I explained that it was mummies special food. I did need to go and buy her her own milkshake so she had some at the same time as me but apart from that she asks if im ready for my special food when im doing her tea and that's it really. im on week 4 now and she just excepts what I eat as normal............

spea that is so cute getting her some milkshakes, bless!! I was really pleased my little girl started interacting with me again today about food, shes seen me eat a bar and a soup today and asked for some of both...when I told her the soup was curry she quickly dismissed it lol!! Its made me feel far less worried about it now.xx

My 4 year old daughter calls it 'mummys medicine to make her tummy shrink'.

When my acid reflux flared up previously i lived off of slimfast shakes so she knows i have it when that happens too. Im not worried over her seeing it as she eats normally and healthily.

If she was to ask properly then id just say mummys using the shakes as she was naughty with food.

What I find hard is how much u actually say to them while they can't 100% understand. I try to explain the difference between healthy food and food we should only have a little of and I think..or hope I've done it in the right way. I was poorly last year so I tried to explain to her that when you have a big tummy sometimes it makes you poorly but then I wondered if I should of said that...lol kids are sent to try us. I'm pretty sure my daughters wont inherit my problems with weight anyway as they have rules where as I didnt and they have me where as my mum worked away a lot from a young age so I feel I drew comfort from food...any will stop rambling now lol.xx

dolly_daydream said:
What I find hard is how much u actually say to them while they can't 100% understand. I try to explain the difference between healthy food and food we should only have a little of and I think..or hope I've done it in the right way. I was poorly last year so I tried to explain to her that when you have a big tummy sometimes it makes you poorly but then I wondered if I should of said that...lol kids are sent to try us. I'm pretty sure my daughters wont inherit my problems with weight anyway as they have rules where as I didnt and they have me where as my mum worked away a lot from a young age so I feel I drew comfort from food...any will stop rambling now lol.xx

I hope that I have taught my daughters proper eating, they r never denied anything but I do explain the importance of appropriate foods and a balance diet and limiting some foods. I have one daughter who is very much like me and loves her sweets! She's my only worry, which is why I don't discuss diets with her, I don't want it to b normal to diet. My other daughter is the opposite she appreciates good food and will turn sweet things away. It's a worry having weight issues and young girls :-/ I just don't want them to have any.... X

It's a worry having weight issues and young girls :-/ I just don't want them to have any.... X

my sentiments exactly..xx

Back