Doctors

tronic

I've just been to the docs, they weren't very supportive! :-(

Just interested in other peoples experiences.. what kind of feedback have folks had from their GPs after discussing Exante with them?

the more I think about my docs visit the angrier i'm getting..

the woman clearly didn't know anything about VLCD's (or offer any advice on alternative diets that might suit me).. looked at and spoke to me in the most patronising way, didn't bother weighing me or checking my blood pressure..

In fact she ended by saying to me 'what did you hope to get out of coming to see me today?'

Grrrr...

What was the appointment for? I don't even tell my GP, my old GP was supportive with cambridge diet but that's because they knew more about it

How ridiculous! Narrow minded or what? She needs to read up on the facts and cut the bad attitude...

I never spoke to my doctor about it, I didn't feel it was necessary

x

Yeah.. On reflection, shouldn't have bothered.. But as the website says its advised when doing total, like an idiot, I went! Don't even go to the docs usually unless I'm properly dying! Won't me making that mistake again in a hurry! Useless! Lol

Sorry to hear your story but I understand and share your frustration.

I find my GP extremely patronising to be honest. I had read the research on the 'Newcastle Diet' trial which is was a vlcd clinical trial that has had great results for type 2 diabetics and thought a vlcd would be good for us to look into as an alternative to pumping me with yet more drugs esp as the diabetes.co.uk charity had sponsored the study. She replied 'yes everyone's seen those diet ads with Pauline Quirk and wants to get in on it, you'll just put it all on again so there's no point trying'.

Well for a start my query was based on a reading medical study, not watching a telly ad. Honestly I find going there makes me so despondent afterwards that I am frequently close to tears by the time I leave the surgery and find it so hard to motivate myself afterwards. So, instead of having the medical support I desired (and deserve), I have bought additional glucose testing strips and am doing this alone. Not ideal but I'm not prepared to give up on myself and rattle with yet more pills if I can find a way to treat the underlying cause of these problems - mostly my obesity!

Sorry to hear your story but I understand and share your frustration.

I find my GP extremely patronising to be honest. I had read the research on the 'Newcastle Diet' trial which is was a vlcd clinical trial that has had great results for type 2 diabetics and thought a vlcd would be good for us to look into as an alternative to pumping me with yet more drugs esp as the diabetes.co.uk charity had sponsored the study. She replied 'yes everyone's seen those diet ads with Pauline Quirk and wants to get in on it, you'll just put it all on again so there's no point trying'.

Well for a start my query was based on a reading medical study, not watching a telly ad. Honestly I find going there makes me so despondent afterwards that I am frequently close to tears by the time I leave the surgery and find it so hard to motivate myself afterwards. So, instead of having the medical support I desired (and deserve), I have bought additional glucose testing strips and am doing this alone. Not ideal but I'm not prepared to give up on myself and rattle with yet more pills if I can find a way to treat the underlying cause of these problems - mostly my obesity!

I don't think they've got adequate training in diet and nutrition or are keeping up to date with advances in this area at all.. I have a friend who's a yoga teacher and nutritionist and her father has been cancer free for 10 years now after following a raw diet and she's now lecturing at top cancer treatment centres in the u.s. you can't underestimate the power of what you put or don't put into your body food wise can have on your health?. One quick look on the Internet and you can find expert medical opinions on the positive effects of these kinds of diets.. After I lose this weight, I'm eating clean from now on!

That's really interesting. I remember when I was first diagnosed as diabetic in 2007 and I just cut out all processed food from my diet and my glucose levels went back to non-diabetic readings within a month. Sadly things have worsened now but I'm determined to take charge of my own health again and get it back on track! I'll look into the raw diet etc - definitely something to keep in mind after I shift the worst of these extra pounds! thanks again..

I had the opposite issue with my Dr. I had gallstones I couldn't eat anything but cod and rice so I looked for a more nutrient filled option. So I talked to her and she said go ahead and come back in a month. After the month I had permission to continue till surgery. She did say if I hadn't had the medical issue she would not of wanted me to continue for more then a month. I have had effects from exante I've lost a lot of muscle and couldn't exercise while using it as I only had enough energy to get through my day.

If I had to I'd do it again no questions asked.

Did you bring a pack of food so they could see what you are doing? Both times I showed the different Dr's what I was eating they were very happy to see what it is so they could check the nutrients. One noticed that there is 2x as much potassium then needed and that can be harmful to to some people. Thus why you should talk to your Dr if you have any of those issues stated.

Tam Xx

I did take the packets with me and put them on the table.. She didn't even bother to pick them up and read the ingredients! Sounds like you have a good doctor!

Interested in what you say about exercise.. I've only been dng it 2 weeks, but found I do have energy.. Been going to the gym but only doing light cardio on the weekends, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and having an extra half packet on those days..

yep, won't be going to her again.. she's not my usual doc, new at the practice..

no wonder you used all your energy Tam.. whereas i'm just sat at a desk more of the day with my ass spreading by the minute.. hence the need for the gym! xx

Back