Does anybody else work long days?

Lovehandles

Hey everybody!
I tried sw 2 years ago for 9 months.
Am thinking about giving it another go! Currently at my heaviest ever of 14 st 8 lbs! My only concern is that the reason I struggled with other diets is because of the shifts I work. I work in a cash office in a bingo hall so its mainly sitting on my bum! I work 9am - 10:30 pm twice a week then two 7 hour shifts another two days. I definatly struggle on my long days! Usually includes lots of sugary tea/coffee and pop. not to mention meal times! We have a cafe but its the same food as the customers ( just cheaper ) so its whatever with chips!! Very rarely a healthy option. Sometimes rice or boiled potatos but goes with sausages or lasagne with cheap mince! Help! Any ideas helpful xxx

Hey hun :)

I also work long shifts 7am - 11pm most of the time sat behind a desk and the day drags like anything! I alway bring my porridge to make at work for the mornings and i make a salad with meat or fish for lunch, then i bring food to make a healthy meal at dinner (i'm quite lucky i can just go to the kitchen and make my food) I fill myself up on lots of water whilst at work.

Do you have a microwave to use at work? that can be a big help or maybe bring a flask of Soup for lunchtimes? And use sweetner for tea and coffees? x

Hi!

I work shifts and often do 6.50am til 21.50 which is horrible lol. I think it depends on what you have access to at work- luckily I can access a microwave and a kettle and a fridge, and on nights an oven.
I usually take cereal and my HEX A allowance I milk measured in a bottle and have some of that with some fruit for breakfast. Then I have a massive fruit salad made up that I snack on throughout the morning.
Lunch is usually a pasta salad with chicken or heated up left overs from the night before. Batch cooking is really handy as I freeze a few portions of things like lasagne or chilli and then I can just grab one for work.
Afternoon snack is usually a syn free mugshot and some celery/carrot sticks with syn free BBQ sauce to dip
Tea I would have a jacket and beans and a bag if salad.
Coz I work all those hours and literally go to bed when I get in I'll eat my syns whilst at work and decide how many I want that day and take that much with me. So today I decided have 10syns and had a curly wurly (6) and 2 options hot chocs.
Working shifts is hard and the food is never going to be particularly exciting but if you plan ahead it's totally doable.
Obviously if you haven't a microwave you're relying on mugshots, salads and cold snacks

X

Hey,

I also work long days and thought I would struggle doing sw, but its completely do-able! Just means lots of planning and remembering to take food with you. There's easy snacks to take with you as we'll if you don't have enough time to make or prepare food. Give it a try Hun and let us know how you get along xx

I have a long commute & leave the house at 06.00 and get back around 19.00 every day. It is difficult but with some planning it will be much easier to follow the plan. Soups are great - if you don't have access to a microwave then you could get a good thermos flask to keep it warm until you're ready.

If I were you I would ask the cafe if they could start doing baked potatoes, I'd say they would be so popular with the customers as well as you! I used to work in a pub when I was a student on WW; I brought in my own big potato and they let me put it in the pizza ovens for my lunch. I'd say your work would be able to sort something out for you!

My husband has this problem too. He has no access to a microwave at work, or even a fridge. He leaves the house about 5.45am and gets back about 6pm so his lunches are mainly salad or quiche which I have made for himk the day before. He doesnt like hard boiled eggs, not keen on ham, and I have suggested taking a flask of soup but by the time he has it for lunch it would probably be cold as its a long time sitting in the flask. And he wouldnt be happy faffing about heating a flask up and then the soup to put in the flask as that time in the morning. He can just about grab his lunch from the fridge. !!! Sometimes like today he has meetings elsewhere straight from work, so today he wont be having a hot meal. Tomorrow I will be making a spag bol for our tea. It is difficult when you work long hours. :(

I work shifts - I'm a coach driver! I take a flask of soup with me, the home made type that is normally packed with chunks of meat and potatos so feels more like I'm having stew than soup, and is very filling so I don't crave anything to dunk! I also will make porridge to take with me, flasks of tea, and lunchboxes with things like hard boiled eggs to munch on. For a yummy extra (with low syns)I'll take strawberries and a little pot of philly chocolate to dunk them in lol. So far its working well! The key is in the planning! If I forget to take my dinner... I'm screwed!

Hey hun :)

I also work long shifts 7am - 11pm most of the time sat behind a desk and the day drags like anything! I alway bring my porridge to make at work for the mornings and i make a salad with meat or fish for lunch, then i bring food to make a healthy meal at dinner (i'm quite lucky i can just go to the kitchen and make my food) I fill myself up on lots of water whilst at work.

Do you have a microwave to use at work? that can be a big help or maybe bring a flask of Soup for lunchtimes? And use sweetner for tea and coffees? x

Just out of interest you do realise the hours you are working are illegal? you should have an 11 hour break inbetween shifts and you are only having 8.

I do long days too 7am til 830pm, plus I do night shifts too 730pm-730am. When im on days I have scrambled egg sandwich for breakfast, mid morning I have a banana and for dinner & tea I usually take rice/pasta that I've made and a tin of beans and choose whichever I fancy when it comes to breaktime, I only get 2 half an hour breaks during the day so it has to be something I can bung in the microwave quickly, if I didn't plan ahead I'd wind up eating junk all day long. Nights are harder to eat properly on as I have my tea before I go then just take a couple of pieces of fruit for overnight, have breakfast when I come in but then miss dinner as I'm sleeping

Wow guys thanks so much for getting back to me!! I think im guna try sw at home then join a group after xmas when I have a bit more money! I do have access to a microwave and a fridge upstairs. There is hot water in the machiene they use to make tea and coffes. Well im sat at my desk reading my old books and writing lists in preperation. I think ill give this another go. Thanks for ur support everyone xx

I work long shifts too,
I always make sure I have breakfast before I leave for work, I find green days are easier when I'm at work
tinned ravioli is a great thing (sainsbury free on green and EE, heinz 1.5 syns on green and EE), baked potato (cooked at home and heated up at work) with beans,
frozen berries with yoghurt for afters,
my top tip has to be always make sure you've got a mugshot in your bag so you don;t get caught out if you get the munchies x

kerryathome said:
I work long shifts too,
I always make sure I have breakfast before I leave for work, I find green days are easier when I'm at work
tinned ravioli is a great thing (sainsbury free on green and EE, heinz 1.5 syns on green and EE), baked potato (cooked at home and heated up at work) with beans,
frozen berries with yoghurt for afters,
my top tip has to be always make sure you've got a mugshot in your bag so you don;t get caught out if you get the munchies x

Is Heinz the big can as I thought it was more than that

just checked syns online and you're right its 2.5 syns for the 400g can, sorry, :cry:

the sainsbury one is def free though :D

Hey guys ive been to the doctors this morning for my depo injection and I spoke to her about my weight. My scales are showing a 14lb gain in one month. She weighed me and ive gained about half a stone. She said I really do need to loose the weight! She looked concerned which worried me. She asked if I was going to do anything about it so I said im going to join sw again and she looked relieved. Well ive decided there is no time like the present. So im starting sw at home from today. Wil join a class in the new year! Could really use support and ideas from u lovely ladies xx

Hey guys ive been to the doctors this morning for my depo injection and I spoke to her about my weight. My scales are showing a 14lb gain in one month. She weighed me and ive gained about half a stone. She said I really do need to loose the weight! She looked concerned which worried me. She asked if I was going to do anything about it so I said im going to join sw again and she looked relieved. Well ive decided there is no time like the present. So im starting sw at home from today. Wil join a class in the new year! Could really use support and ideas from u lovely ladies xx

Thats great you've found the motivation to get back on it! Sometimes you just need a shove like that, it was similar for me. Definately get to class if you can - if you are paying to join SW why not go straight to class? i've only been on SW 2 and a half weeks now, but the classes are invaluable to me as a newbie - they are sharing recipes and ideas, and you find out what works and what doesn't for people. They discuss where 'hidden syns' can slip in etc.
I'll definately be around to support you though - i'm hoping I will be getting my stone award before Xmas x

Im not going to pay for it. I joined sw last year for 9 months so I no what im doing and ive got all the books. I will join in the new year for support and motivation thou xx

Good luck with rejoining. I restarted on Monday but had no money to buy food I didn't already have which has made this week so far very interesting! When I have access to a microwave/hot water it's usually mugs shots, jacket potatoes (the little microwave pots of baked beans are fab!) or I'll make big lots of soups, stews etc. which I can freeze and then take with me.

Back