Does anyone know of a 'snack-type' bar that is healthy?

IrishMum

A little of everything!
I would like to find a healthy kind of bar that I can carry around with me on days out in case my only food options are greasy fast-food? I'm not pushed on the maintenence bars, they're okay, but I'd rather a granola type bar that will help fill me up, and is low-fat/carb- if it exists?? I've got the Alpen light bars, which are quite good? But I'm sure theres better out there?
Sorry if this should be in maintenence, but its pretty quiet in there?

My friend is having bars called 'myplex bars' ... they are a food replacement just like LT and contain around 200ish calories. Good meal suppliment if you dont like the LT bars i guess.

Thanks Tanya, It's not that I don't 'like' the maintenence bars, i just 'feel' fuller with a 'nutty' type bar- if that makes sense? I'll google them and see what the craic is with them? Are they easily available? (Remember I live in the sticks! LOL!)
EDIT: Ah, they're easily available online- but in boxes of 12? I wonder does anywhere sell them singly so I could try them out first?

Last edited:
Erm, well the chemist that she goes to here sells them, failing that ebay sells them and they are much cheaper there!:)

Thanks- will go have a look!

cool beans :)

I've been having a look at the Avidlite website & they have a few low-carb cereals/bars that might work? Has anyone tried the Atkins, Sero or Go Lower bars? They have some tasty sounding granola (muesli's) as well?

oooh atkins bars - what are they like irish, maybe we could have them as a brekkie?

Not sure Tanya, they look a bit like the maintenence bars but have wayyyyy less carbs, and some of them look like breakfast bars (oaty/granola type bars?)? I wonder do any supermarkets stock Atkins foods? I thought I'd seen them somewhere (sainsburys', tesco etc?) but they're not on their websites? Will keep looking though!

Erm i know boots sell them - not too sure on price though?

Okay...back to the drawing board- they're wayyy to high-fat for me- 12.something per bar!!!! The sero ones aren't as bad, but still have 7.something g of fat!

hmmmm how much fat are we allowed a day irish? im just about to have a goose around for atkins bars ...

Well, theres no real 'amount' of fat, but it's generally recommended to eat foods that have less than 5% fat in them- which they don't!

Irish .... where did you get the fat info?

I've just been on the atkins site and i have looked at the 'day break' bars ... ones suggested for breakfast, the highest bar has 8g fat.

Have a goose; Atkins Day Break Products

The bars are 40g- so 8g of that being fat is a percentage of 20%!!! Most diet plans/programmes recommend a food has no more than 5% for a healthy diet!

ah ok ... but surely if yer under RDA for the day one bar aint guna hurt? or is it?! lol

I guess not- but eating something that is 20% FAT just goes against everything I've learned about healthy eating?!? I'd rather have a chocolate bar and be done with it! LOL!

:giggle: ok - so back to the drawing board we go irish ...!!

Hi Tanya

On the fat thing.....it is recommended, if you are looking low fat, that you have around 4-5% per 100gm...so, just watch, as a lot of bars will say 10% of fat per 100gm and the bar is only 40gm...so, a lot of fat.

Have you looked at Rosemary Conley's website....she advocates low fat, etc....

Also, have you tried SNACK A JACKS by any chance? You can get quite big packs, they are rice cakes...not sure of the carbs in them though, but I used to have them..I noticed today that they were advertising new BERRY ones....might be nice, with a banana, or maybe just some yoghurt?

I used to have those little Ryvita things as well, the mini Ryvita...if I was on the go..not really a cereal bar, but I always found them really filling.

If I find anything I will let you know!

Tanya

Go Ahead seem to do Oat Squares - apple and blackberry
Pers slice
137 cals
5% fat

If you go to their website, they have a number of snacks, etc..

Back