Does anyone remember the story of thd two dieters?

*soon-to-be-slim*

Silver Member
I remember last year some posted a thread about two dieters, one slow and one fast (like hare and tortoise) just can't seem to find it.... It was really a light bulb moment for me and would like to see it again and re read just can't find it!!

TIA

I did the Dukan Diet a long time ago. It came off very very quickly. However, I was very shaky & later was diagnosed with aspartame poisoning (which I promise for everyone asking I will post my story) - I was CRAVING sugar and starchy things like potatoes which caused me to overdo the sweetener. To cut a long story short, yeah I got to my goal weight (WITHOUT exercise, just doing that silly diet) - BUT. The weight soon came back on in NO time when I began eating normally (NORMALLY not going on a binge-athon)!

This time, after joining SW - which I repeat is the BEST thing I have ever done. The weight, it's coming off slowly.. but surely. Pound lost one week, half the next, two and half and so on. However, SW I've realised is NOT some fad diet, it's changing the way you live (food-wise). It's going back to the non lazy way of preparing food. Making a spag bol with the chopped tomatoes rather than an easy jar of Dolmio. When I was little, my mum always, always made healthy meals like new potatoes with fish & veggies, spag bol using the chopped tomatoes, mince with mashed potatoes etc. Unfortunately take aways and things like microwave meals etc have become so cheap to buy these days & also, so 'normal' to people these days, we have all become so used to it. When I was younger, even 5yrs ago a take away was seen as a treat, once a month if you were lucky! Now there's burger,chicken, chinese places everywhere you look!

I'm happier in a way that the weight is coming off slowly (I say slowly but I have lost nearly a stone in 6 weeks)! I would much rather it be like this! Trust me, this is much better. Would rather be the tortoise! I have also got the energy this time around to do some exercise along with my dieting so I started the 30 day shred - completed day 4 today! On the other diet I tried, I had NO sugar in me, so NO energy whatsoever! This is great! Good luck everyone & remember - you are a tortoise haha x

Do you mean this one?, Sorry, I don't know how to link a post, I just copied and pasted it.

(Reposted from another Miniminer)

First, let me tell you about Gabby. Gabby is 180 pounds and would dearly love to be 130 pounds. So she joins a weight loss class and starts a diet. In the first week she loses 4 pounds. Her reaction? "Fantastic!" "At this rate, I'll be 130 pounds in 3 months or less! Yippee!"

However, in the second week she loses nothing. Her reaction? "Disaster! Panic! Help! - I'm a useless fat lump!"

But she perseveres (grudgingly) and in week three loses another 2 pounds. Her reaction? "Big deal!"

So after three weeks dieting, she has lost 6 pounds which is perfect for someone of her weight. But it's not good enough for Gabby. As far as Gabby is concerned, it's no big deal. And over the next fortnight, all her enthusiasm flies out the window. Why?

Because it has dawned on Gabby that if she continues to lose 2 pounds a week, it's going to take her 6 months to slim down to her dream size. And Gabby does not have 6 months to wait. Because Gabby is much too busy. Poor old Gabby. She refuses to accept that losing weight takes time. Unfortunately, until she changes her attitude she will never lose weight in a thousand years.

Now take Kate, another member of Gabby's weight-loss group, who is exactly the same height and weight as Gabby. She loses weight at the same speed as Gabby, but her attitude to dieting is completely different. She knows it's easy to lose weight at the start of a diet, because most of it is fluid.

So when she loses 4 pounds in week one, she doesn't rush out and celebrate. She just stays calm and carries on dieting.

Equally, when she loses nothing in week two, she doesn't panic or get depressed. She just takes it in her stride and carries on dieting.

You see, Kate isn't really bothered WHAT happens in the first few weeks. She is much more concerned about the long term. So she bides her time and carries on. In fact, she carries on dieting and gradually shedding pounds for the next 12 weeks. Result? She loses a total of 30 pounds. Then celebrates! She takes her husband's credit card on a shopping trip and buys a gorgeous red dress which makes her look ten years younger!

She wears the dress to a local wedding and guess who she meets? Gabby! The same old Gabby who didn't have the patience to spend 3 months dieting. The same old Gabby who is now even fatter. The same old Gabby who is now crammed into elasticated pants and looking tired, red-faced and distinctly uncomfortable.

After the wedding, Kate goes back on her diet. She still has weight to lose. However, the reaction of her family and friends to her new slim shape has given her a real boost. Result? She finds dieting a lot easier. After four months later she is down another 30 pounds.

Meanwhile, Gabby too has been busy. She has started and stopped several new diets. Why does she keep stopping? Because the diets are too 'slow' for her liking. Remember, Gabby does NOT have time for slow diets. She's a fast-tracker!

That's the one thank you!!!

That's so great, really makes me think every time i read it slow and steady wins the race :)

Your a gem for finding it, been looking for days! Saved it now on my phone

X ta x

You're welcome ! :D

What a gem! Thank you for digging that out xxx

Do you mean this one?, Sorry, I don't know how to link a post, I just copied and pasted it.

(Reposted from another Miniminer)

First, let me tell you about Gabby. Gabby is 180 pounds and would dearly love to be 130 pounds. So she joins a weight loss class and starts a diet. In the first week she loses 4 pounds. Her reaction? "Fantastic!" "At this rate, I'll be 130 pounds in 3 months or less! Yippee!"

However, in the second week she loses nothing. Her reaction? "Disaster! Panic! Help! - I'm a useless fat lump!"

But she perseveres (grudgingly) and in week three loses another 2 pounds. Her reaction? "Big deal!"

So after three weeks dieting, she has lost 6 pounds which is perfect for someone of her weight. But it's not good enough for Gabby. As far as Gabby is concerned, it's no big deal. And over the next fortnight, all her enthusiasm flies out the window. Why?

Because it has dawned on Gabby that if she continues to lose 2 pounds a week, it's going to take her 6 months to slim down to her dream size. And Gabby does not have 6 months to wait. Because Gabby is much too busy. Poor old Gabby. She refuses to accept that losing weight takes time. Unfortunately, until she changes her attitude she will never lose weight in a thousand years.

Now take Kate, another member of Gabby's weight-loss group, who is exactly the same height and weight as Gabby. She loses weight at the same speed as Gabby, but her attitude to dieting is completely different. She knows it's easy to lose weight at the start of a diet, because most of it is fluid.

So when she loses 4 pounds in week one, she doesn't rush out and celebrate. She just stays calm and carries on dieting.

Equally, when she loses nothing in week two, she doesn't panic or get depressed. She just takes it in her stride and carries on dieting.

You see, Kate isn't really bothered WHAT happens in the first few weeks. She is much more concerned about the long term. So she bides her time and carries on. In fact, she carries on dieting and gradually shedding pounds for the next 12 weeks. Result? She loses a total of 30 pounds. Then celebrates! She takes her husband's credit card on a shopping trip and buys a gorgeous red dress which makes her look ten years younger!

She wears the dress to a local wedding and guess who she meets? Gabby! The same old Gabby who didn't have the patience to spend 3 months dieting. The same old Gabby who is now even fatter. The same old Gabby who is now crammed into elasticated pants and looking tired, red-faced and distinctly uncomfortable.

After the wedding, Kate goes back on her diet. She still has weight to lose. However, the reaction of her family and friends to her new slim shape has given her a real boost. Result? She finds dieting a lot easier. After four months later she is down another 30 pounds.

Meanwhile, Gabby too has been busy. She has started and stopped several new diets. Why does she keep stopping? Because the diets are too 'slow' for her liking. Remember, Gabby does NOT have time for slow diets. She's a fast-tracker!

This was exactly me, but not anymore!

I've never seen that before, but I like it! :)

Love that story - can relate to both of them to be honest, sometimes i want to lose weight fast, other times im planned and methodical and slow!

Omg this is so how I felt the other week when I lost only 0.5lb instead of thinking wow I have lost every single week since starting, I was annoyed I didn't get more... The week after I lost 2.5lb and was delighted, but this week again only 0.5lb but I got my stone sticker but in back of my mind still a little disappointed.... But this week I have realised how important it is to think of the long run there is no quick fix to weight loss I realise this now and as long as I keep loosing weather it's 0.5lb or 3lb I will be happy....even with a sts every now and then, I have to realise its not going to come off as quick as it did in the first few weeks but as long as I eventually get there I am happy :)

Can really relate to both so thank you for putting this story up again. It took me a long while to accept that i wont be losing 2lbs+ everyweek and since accepting that i have done a lot better with sw x

I Defo can relate to this When I think about it I think I am Gabby

I rejoined SW on Monday and now that I've read this story I am going to be Kate from now on
Thanks for posting the story

Thanks for posting this. I can relate to gabby. I have been feeling miserable as my weight loss is so slow. I need to focus on the long term.

I LOVE this story! This time round I'm a Kate! And so grateful for it but until I joined sw I was a gabby, doing all the food replacement, atkins, 5:2 etc. None worked (well initially they did even up to 16lbs in a week on one of them - healthy??? ) and I started sw at my heaviest! 19 weeks on I'm 3st lighter and couldn't be happier still another 3st to go but i'll get there eventually enjoying my journey on the way there getting fitter and healthier as I go!!

I LOVE this story! This time round I'm a Kate! And so grateful for it but until I joined sw I was a gabby, doing all the food replacement, atkins, 5:2 etc. None worked (well initially they did even up to 16lbs in a week on one of them - healthy??? ) and I started sw at my heaviest! 19 weeks on I'm 3st lighter and couldn't be happier still another 3st to go but i'll get there eventually enjoying my journey on the way there getting fitter and healthier as I go!!

Well done on your weight loss 3stone in 19 weeks is fantastic

I think a lot of us relate to the story trying all faddy diets
I do think slimmingworld is one of the best plans I determined to get to goal this time round and I think I'll read this story several times to keep me going on the right track No quick fixes just nice and steady every week

Good luck with the rest of your journey xx

Re-reading for inspiration! xx

Back