Does being an alcohol lover sabotage anyone else

Hi all

This is my first week completely on the wagon after I got very frustrated with using all my 70 syns on two bottles of wine a week and sometimes more on top. Me and hubby usually would drink a bottle each maybe five nights out of seven before SW and I know now that I am swiftly moving into 'dangerous waters' with my drinking. Also realising that drinking like that just won't help me loose weight...ever. Time for serious change. Anyone else have or had a similar problem? Bearing in mind that drinking does tend to numb the senses, especially if you are overweight and unhappy?

Can I suggest that you look at the Drink Aware website? You can find it at Alcohol Advice | Drinkaware - for the facts about Alcohol

This will give you a lot of useful information. For instance, a woman should have no more than 2-3 units of alcohol a day. One bottle of wine would be nearly 10 units.

You say "time for serious change" and you are absolutely right. The fact that you know this is a really good sign that you can get out of this habit. If you are overweight, drink won't help. If you are unhappy, drink won't help. Yes, it numbs the senses, takes the edge off, helps to relax you - all the excuses we all use, and that's fine once in a while. But not all the time.

I am not trying to frighten you, or panic you, or preach at you, or make you feel bad. I like a drink as much as anyone, and I have no intention of giving it up! But I have seen the harm that drink can do, in my family, because someone would not heed the warning signs in time.

i think we all have our own demons, mine is comfort eating whether im happy sad bored whatever it can start a binge i binge on all sorts whatever is in the house and in huge volumes. in a similar way to alcohol this binging maskso your real feelings so you dont deal with them. good luck with cutting down on alcohol it cant be easy

Thanks girls. Been clear for a good few days already and I'm noticing a loss too. Think you're right about changing habits and being up front with your group too, which I intend to be. After all, change is what it's all about. Just goes to show how many units I must have been putting away whist attempting SW! Both my parents are borderline alcoholics so have a good reason to sort out my ways. Thanks for replying x

Back