Does losing weight mean losing your sense of humour?

Maximus

Gold Member
Or even losing your sense of perspective?

These type of things have been levelled at me in recent weeks and it is starting to affect me. Normally I'm the wise-cracking cheeky chappie at work but the past few weeks have been manic and quite literally no time to act the fool as lots of angry customers to attend to - priorities and all that.

You often here about fat/jovial people having a great sense of humour but I am not sure if it is necessarily because of their size.

Anyway, I notice the few people saying it are people "of size" themselves. I could draw my own conclusions from that of course, especially as a lot of colleagues and friends etc. are delighted.

I hate the idea of being a skinny misery. I don't see it myself. In the work environment, sure it is good to have banter, but in customer service, the customer has to be my main priority - not entertaining the troops.

Maybe losing weight makes you more sensitive?

This is a serious point by the way (I know some will be expecting the punchline).

Do you change after weightloss or do people's perspective of you change?

Steve

I don't think you do change Steve. I see no sign of it in you. Your sense of humour is still there as sharp as ever.

I think the greatest change for me is a new confidence. My humour is still there. If anything even stronger than before. It might have changed as I am not the brunt of my own jokes anymore.

I doubt that for one minute you will be a skinny misery.........you will still be you. Losing lbs does not equate with losing humour.

hugs xxx

p.s. "You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is."

:D I love daft jokes - I'll never change. I suspect the green-eyed monster is at work regarding certain colleagues, Sue.

Did I ever tell you I used to play darts with my ex-wife, but then her head went blunt!

I think this is a good question. It depends, I suppose to some degree how you behaved in the first place. When I was younger, single and bigger, I was most definitely the "funny fat girl" - to mask my discomfort in social situations, drink too much, act a bit too loud, do all the daft things no-one else dared to, because I knew no-one would look at me twice otherwise.

Since I have been married, and to a man who sees and knows all my flaws and loves me despite them, I am not like that with him, I am a more flowing mood chart of ups and downs, because he knows and I know, that I am not perfect, and you cannot keep up an act for years and years without getting busted, but I instinctively knew with him that I didnt have to anyway, he goes deeper than that and sees deeper than that.

But I dont feel at all comfortable not being perfect and am my own worst critic, so when I am out with friends, on the exceptionally rare occasion, I do find myself slipping back into "funny fat girl" mode without realising it.

But thats ok, coz sometimes I am quite funny, and I dont buy this "you shouldnt laugh at your own jokes" line either, if I dont find it funny, no-one else is likely to. I've been my own biggest joke all my life, and its hard to change that.

Completely in line with MLM, I was always the 'bubbly' one.

My weight never made me hide in a corner- quite the opposite. Maybe because part of me wanted to be noticed or maybe because I felt I had to compensate in some way for my looks with my 'personality'

I certainly haven't lost my sense of humour, and would still consider myself good fun, but I feel more comfortable with who i am now, so don't feel the need to be centre of attention all the time or project my personality into people's faces quite so much. I always was happy with myself as a person, now I just allow people to find out for themselves who i am rather than throwing it around quite so much.

It sounds like you are referring to a specific 'incident' maximus- has someone had a pop at you (and do you want me to come and sort them out for you?)

Yes, one or two incidents - more sniping comments really. Fortunately the agenda is clear. They can't lose weight so obviously my losing upsets them.

I have chose to ignore it. It's hard enough trying to keep me happy (and sane!) and easy to go against my own nature and respond, but that's not like me.

I mentioned it to mt ever-supportive consultant and she re-assured me i've not changed. In fact i'm still a nutter:eek: - apparently that's a good thing.

On a lighter note, I used to joke I had more chins that a Chinese phone directory, now I see wrinkles!! - is there no compromise on this lol?

I'm with the others, Steve.

I've always been the worlds biggest joker (in more senses than one!), and I don't think I'm any different.
But there are things I've never found funny: generally when putting other people down, rather than objectively funny in a custard pie, banana skin kind of way.

And I have therefore often been accused of not having a sense of humour. Which I actually find quite funny - cos it's me they're talking about, and I find everything hilarious!

Some people just have no idea of appropriate behaviour, and some people are so jealous of others that they'll have a pop at them over something that is nothing whatsoever to do with their real problem.

We may not have to hide behind our humour, like we did when we were deliberately "The Funny Fat One", but it isn't going to go away.

Stick with what you're doing: you can make me laugh!

:D I love daft jokes - I'll never change. I suspect the green-eyed monster is at work regarding certain colleagues, Sue.

Did I ever tell you I used to play darts with my ex-wife, but then her head went blunt!

Was it the same husband who cleaned the attic with his wife today and now can not get the cobwebs out of her hair lol !!!!

Apparently she left the light on and went to close the windows in her see-through negligée.

Why would you need windows in a see-through negligée I'll never know.

My protaganist today revealed his 19st 8lb horror and is now on a diet of his own. I guess the fact I lost 5st 7 since I met him has spurred him into action lol. Anyway, I'm not a bitter or vindictive person and will help and encourage him of course. Moral high ground and all that:p

Good for you losing so much weight! I've found most people 'project' feeling about themselves onto others, so saying you've lost your sense of humour may be a fear of his that he will lose himself in the weight loss.

The police knocked my brother's door and said "I'm sorry sir it look like your wife has been hit by a bus"
My brother said "I know, but she's got a lovely personality"

Good for you losing so much weight! I've found most people 'project' feeling about themselves onto others, so saying you've lost your sense of humour may be a fear of his that he will lose himself in the weight loss.

The police knocked my brother's door and said "I'm sorry sir it look like your wife has been hit by a bus"

LOL !!!

One of the things I have found after my weight loss, just over 4 stones, is not just the animosity from the most unexpected quarter for me, is how people try to encourage you to eat things you just do NOT want.

First guy proudly: "My wife's an angel!"

Second guy: "You're lucky, mine's still alive

I find my response to the comments varies though. The ones about how "skinny" I'm getting, from larger people always seems to be through jealousy. But when they come from people who are thinner than I'll ever be, I just feel patronised!

And - the old ones are the best.

My mate went to get a new car for his wife. He thought it was a good deal, but the garage wouldn't take the swap.

i saw this thread and was intruiged!
i dont think u do change ur sense of humour, but i do beleive u can become more sensitive. it sounds strange but its like u dont have anything to hide behind.
i find myself feeling more vunerable sometimes which is strange cos i always felt "ok" before :confused:
but on the other side of that, i think i now know who i am more, i beleive this is who ive always been, but ive only just got here..does that make sense? lol :)xxx

I find my response to the comments varies though. The ones about how "skinny" I'm getting, from larger people always seems to be through jealousy. But when they come from people who are thinner than I'll ever be, I just feel patronised!

And - the old ones are the best.

My mate went to get a new car for his wife. He thought it was a good deal, but the garage wouldn't take the swap.

Love it !!!! The joke I mean. Keep em coming.

I now what you mean about patronising......I hate the " Oh you do look good now you have lost weight, but hang on to your big clothes just in case. " My standard response to that one is " Oh, why is that ? I was going to offer them to you " Am I a b!tch or not """ Probably lol !!!

A lady inserted an 'ad' in the classifieds: "Husband wanted". Next day she received a hundred letters. They all said the same thing: "You can have mine."

Blimey! Shirleen have you been reading my texts lol?

What a mad thread this is. Dissecting a potentially serious issue interlacing it with surreal one-liners!

Juicygooseface might be on to something (what a fab username that is by the way!). I like the idea of being a sensitive soul. Anyway, fatty murphy has his own journey ahead of him. oops! the sensitivity didn't last long lol.

so.....

I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Back