Does running help?

El Bunnio

Hi! I am new to SW and was delighted with my 1st weigh in - down 5lbs. I know that's unlikely to happen again this Tuesday but I would like to know if running would speed up weight loss? Has anyone any experience with this?
Many thanks

Hiya
Well done on that brilliant loss!
I think any exercise can only be a good thing!
I know Slimming World don't work explicitly by suggesting a calorie deficit (though that is really how it works) so burning off calories will increase this.
I started Couch to 5k 6 weeks ago when I could barely do more than a brisk walk and am now running for 20 minutes solid. I've recently come back to Slimming World and like that I can have a decent meal after a run and still be on plan!
Aside from the weight loss benefits, it's great for the mind too- always gives me a boost and helps my concentration!
Try not to be too disheartened if you don't lose as much next week, the first weeks can be notorious for a big drop followed by a small one/maintain or even gain as our bodies adjust.
Good luck! x

I started slimming world a while before starting running. I now run 5k or further every day. If I don't stick to plan but still run then I often maintain or gain but as long as I'm on plan then I lose. So I'm not convinced that the running helps the weight loss exactly, but I definitely stick more rigidly to plan when I've run - I don't want to 'waste' my hard work (if that makes sense?!). I'd recommend running to anyone who is able to - I feel so much healthier all round.

Back