Dry, long-lasting snack/picnic ideas

judywoody

My hubby and I will spend 2 days in a Hotel without breakfast and where we will stay there aren't many shops to buy lunch etc (and I hate those soggy sandwiches in the supermarket which taste disgusting and are not even SW friendly)

I can bring cereals and a small bottle of milk for our BF but not sure what to do for the rest of the day? I can bring fruit - that's ok without a fridge but I don't want to take boiled eggs etc as last time they got all squished and smelled funny after a day. So I really need something that lasts for longer. Was thinking about couscous and mugshots but I am getting sick of these, too :-( Also we will be sitting all day and I get seriously constipated if I have couscous and pasta and the likes...:sick0019:

bear in mind it will be 2 full days...

You could maybe put something in a flask for the first day?
Or crispbreads and cheese triangles will last a few days outside the fridge.
Veggie stuff will keep in plastic boxes for 24 hours or longer, things like homemade potato salad, lentil salad, hummus etc will be fine in plastic boxes for at least a day. I often take them away with me alongside another plastic box full of carrot sticks, baby sweetcorn, snap peas/mangetout and tomatoes to snack on. You could put them in a cooler bag with some ice boxes if you want to keep them cool?
Or you could take the contents for a sandwich but keep the loaf separate, then you can make the sandwich when you want it so it wont go soggy. A HEXA of cheese will be fine outside the fridge, or you could use tinned stuff like tuna to put in it?

Anything tinned you'd be happy eating cold?

Might be best to do that sort of stuff the first day, then the second you can resort to cous cous etc.

I'd probably make a couple of days worth of food without meat in and keep it in a cooler bag full of ice boxes for a couple of days. You can fall back on crispbreads, sandwiches, fruit & raw veg towards the end if stuff is getting too warm.

Back