Dukan attack + SW

So, I'm going to start getting this weight off. I'm at the heaviest I've ever been and put on nearly 3 stone since starting uni and not happy.

What I'm thinking of doing is doing 7-10 days on Dukan attack phase as a kick start, then going on to Slimming World extra easy plan. I don't feel like I could maintain Dukan for long periods of time but I have done SW in the past and lost nearly 3 stone on it. I can't afford to go to sessions though so will just be doing it myself. Hoping on using this place and my partner to help motivate me. I'm also thinking of doing dukan attack for time when I feel I'm hitting a wall or a lull in weight loss as a further kick

Has anyone done anything like this. Any thoughts or ideas?

Dukan attack is designed as part of the dukan diet so I wouldn't really mix it in with another diet. I think dukan is the best diet in the world - i lost seven stone in a year by following it. To be honest when I first read the book I thought I would never be able to follow it but I was surprised how easy it was and the best thing i found was that I didn't feel hungry and I didn't have cravings for chocolate, crisps etc. which I did on sw and ww. I have been maintaining at my target on conso now since July and can honestly say dukan has changed my life! 7-10 days seems a lot to do attack for, I did it for 5 days and that seems about the average, attack works best first time round and is not really meant to be repeated. My advice to you would be to give the whole of the dukan diet a go I am sure you will be surprised how easy it is and how quick the weight falls off and the support and help on here is amazing! Good luck and keep posting to let us know how you are getting on x

SW EE encourages too many carbs so any amount of days on Dukan Attack would be a waste as it isnt easy.

Have you considered doing the Red/Original Plan on SW? I fail miserably with too many carbs and I'm not keen on fruit so the Red plan always suited me. This time though I'm going for DUKAN as I need a more prescriptive plan to completely reset my thinking around food. Day one today and feeling very positive. Good luck whatever you decide :)

I don't know anything about SW, and I've never tried it. But I wouldn't think it is a good idea to mix diet schemes like that. In theory at least, any diet regime ought to balance out nutritionally (yeah I know the BDA says Dukan doesn't, but that seems to be based on the attack phase which is only one part of the diet, and a (possibly deliberate?) misunderstanding of what it actually involves in real life). Diets are not smorgasbords, where you can pick and mix the bits you like. That way we'd all live on our favourite foods and be as big as houses! well i would, anyhow ;)

So if you think SW worked for you before, then why don't you have another go? in fact - and I'm being cruel here- plainly it didn't work long term, because now you are back looking for another way to fix the problem.

I can only speak from my experience which was that I started Dukan in july 2011 deeply sceptical about whether it would work and more importantly whether I could stick to it long enough to make it work. Every method I'd tried before I found really difficult and sooner or later fell by the wayside. By last Christmas I reached my initial target weight, and went into consolidation, and by Easter I was on maintenance stage. I've lost nearly 3 stone overall, I feel a hell of a lot fitter, and I've kept it off so far without too much aggravation. It's not been without problem and I fluctuate 3-5lb from my end of conso weight (I lost some more on conso) but I feel really good at this weight so that's fine by me! Right now, post Xmas pig outs, I'm actually at the bottom of my safe range 10stone 8lb this am. Admittedly I had a gastric flu thing so that put me off food for 2-3 days, but yesterday, this was my menu-

B - yoghurt & fruit, oatbran porridge
L- chilli con carne with rice, small tin of lager
S- home made minestrone soup, cheese & biscuits, orange, glass of wine
Not recommending the above, just illustrating that can eat relatively normally once weight is stable again.

My only regret is I didn't discover Dukan ages ago, so that my seriously overweight Mum could have also benefitted from it. She died 3 years ago and to be honest her weight caused her so many health problems it shortened her life considerably.

Hope you succeed, whichever path you take! Happy new year!

Wow Supertonic...that's amazing.

Sorry to hijack a thread but reading the post above has really struck a chord. Ive just started attack and feel really sceptical about whether it will work, but moreso, whether I can keep it off. In all honesty, it's the consolidation stage that appeals to me most....I'm hoping for once and for all I can eduate myself to keep it off and eat in moderation.

Ive been doing SW for the last few years, lost a good amount of weight, yet, all too familiar, put almost all of it back on. Zoesastar I think you have a good point, and in my case the carbs on SW just feed my addiction and cravings.

Supertonic, what you said about your mum resonates with me. I really worry about the health implications being obese has, am concerned for her health and mine also. Thank you for your thought provoking post, and proving that the weight CAN be kept off...Fingers crossed this WILL be my last eating plan/ diet.

K xxx

Thanks for the input

I think one of my main concerns with Dukan being so limited is migraines. I get them a lot and am working with my doctor to find something that helps, but I'm worried it will make them worse. I can deal with feeling a bit crap for a week or so

Nickyandtom, I have been considering just this, doing mostly red days on SW instead of EE

Supertonic, its not that SW didn't work, its that I became complacent and lazy and stopped being careful about what I was eating. Thanks for your post though, it has made me think. I may try carrying on to cruise and see how I go

I think part of the problem is that since I've been with my partner, I've been eating like him. He is one of those lucky sods who an eat just about anything and maintain a weight thats the lower end of healthy. Not that I'm blaming him. What I put into my body is totally my responsibility

How do people do on this cost wise? Is it doable on a budget with the amount of meat? Particularly a student budget.
Also, do you think its better to pay for subscription on the website? Is it really any better than just using the book?

Last edited:
Thanks for the input

I think one of my main concerns with Dukan being so limited is migraines. I get them a lot and am working with my doctor to find something that helps, but I'm worried it will make them worse. I can deal with feeling a bit crap for a week or so

Nickyandtom, I have been considering just this, doing mostly red days on SW instead of EE

Supertonic, its not that SW didn't work, its that I became complacent and lazy and stopped being careful about what I was eating. Thanks for your post though, it has made me think. I may try carrying on to cruise and see how I go

I think part of the problem is that since I've been with my partner, I've been eating like him. He is one of those lucky sods who an eat just about anything and maintain a weight thats the lower end of healthy. Not that I'm blaming him. What I put into my body is totally my responsibility

How do people do on this cost wise? Is it doable on a budget with the amount of meat? Particularly a student budget.
Also, do you think its better to pay for subscription on the website? Is it really any better than just using the book?

Hey there,
Im a student nurse (the skintest kinds of students lol!) And manage dukan, unfortunately I have to buy.value eggs, Oatbran is affordable and I check out each supermarket for meat deals or shop late to get bargains. Frozen chicken Breasts are on offer alot And as long as they aren't the value ones they are fine. I buy cheaper varieties of dairy products. Planning is key. And let's face it, how much do we spend on pasta, rice, crisps sweets, chocolate, bread cheese fruit etc etc that we will no longer be buying? That's the way I look at it :)
And shopping is quick as you only need a few aisles!

Good luck.xx

Good Morning.....just putting in my two cents .....I think a lot depends on how much you have/want to lose, which equates to how long your Cruise phase will be. I did Cruise for 7 months and that seemed 'restrictive', so I was ready for different foods. If you only have 8-12 weeks of Cruise, the next phase, Consolidation, will be the highlight and less restrictive. I actually think Consol is a really important phase (they all are) and one that is doable for the long haul.

So, as for Dukan being too restrictive and a trigger for you migraines, it depends how long you are on Cruise. Also, I have noticed that some people go quite light on the veggies on PV days......I think those veggies are important and should be quality and plentiful.

Not sure what effect if any Dukan may have on migraine. I used to suffer badly but thankfully these are now infrequent - think its an age thing with me anyway.

Cost wise, it can get pricy I guess. But you can choose things like chicken - which is frequently on special offers. Also, I often go to supermarkets when I know they are marking down stuff - with my local waitrose it's around 6pm - so I can pick up some meats at reduced prices. There's always something you can get which is less expensive and Dukan friendly.

Partners - mmmh, can be an issue I know. Mine was ok, although he's built like a whippet and eats like a horse, so I do know roughly what you mean! I just used to do extra stuff for him like pasta or potatoes and not touch the stuff myself. That's why I liked shirataki noodles/pasta, as I could have something that looked roughly like what he was having but which had zero cals. Or I would do celeriac mash for me and mash potatoes for him. Not too much extra work and I'd do a couple of portions at a time so I could microwave the 2nd later in the week.

I didn't bother with the coaching on the website because (a) it seemed expensive and (b) I'm not very good at taking directions from someone I don't see or engage with directly. And I can be a bit Bolshy! So i thought it would be wasted on me. But it undoubtedly works for some people so if you think it will help you, why not try it for a bit?

The coaching is so expensive its really not an option for me, I bought the book, came on forum and have never looked back. Have lost over 4 stone and having done SW, WW and other diets I have found this one is the best. yes its restrictive, but thats what I needed........being told yes you can have so and so but count the syns/points realy just didn't work, but being told NO you can't have this.........BUT......its not forever, have worked for me.

I am one of those people who suffers terrible headaches / migraines when I get hungry, and can honestly say, that i haven't suffered once since starting this diet. The only headdaches I have had have been tiredness and stress, esp with recent times.....this time ofyear.

Give it a go, set yourself a date to work towards, I always said I would give it a month and see how I found it.........a week just isn't long enough. I did a week attack (I have 6 stone to lose), lost 6.8lb in that week and then in the month I gave myself I lost 1st 2lb............which of course gave me the boost to keep going.

I know this christmas week I have gained, I've weighed myself twice only and seen the damage, but Ihave planned my menus from tomorrow and am confident I can get back on track and stay on it till I reach TW. Nothing is going to stop me. esp as I have dropped 3 sizes in clothes top and bottom and almost another on top, first time in over twenty years Ihave worn a size 14 something.

dukannotsofatty i have been advised by sidid that you are an amazing shopper...!!!

Can you advise me on the best places to shop as i think this diet could potentialy get very expensive - not great as on a buget but want to buy the best that i can afford.

thanks x

Awww shucks Sid, you made me blush.....i am happy to help.

I am on a strict budget and can only make this work by shopping about...........I plan my shopping route and my weekly menu. I try to get most of it in one day so that i am not wasting petrol going out and about.

I posted on someone's thread ysterday and there was a budget post not long ago, give me a min and I'll go find it all

Dnsf you are an amazing shopper - sidd is right!! Hope you sorted the quark problem out you had with asda - luckily my asda still stocks it - think I would be suicidal if it didnt as its my fav!! I buy smart price cottage cheese now since you mentioned you used it - saving me a fortune!! Thanks xx

Plan your menu in advance, esp for shopping, when I started the diet I actually listed everything I had in the freezres and planned my meals around that so that i didn't have to worry about going out and shopping straight away.

I buy
From Asda: Frozen Chicken Fillets (only if desperate as not as cheap), Turkey Rashers, Turkey Sausages, SP Cottage Cheese (lower Fat than their other brand), Quark, Beef, Just like Tails,
From Farm Foods: Chicken fillets, Nearly all my Fish, Crabsticks (only 29p a pack, and packed as an 8 so no going over limits),
From Aldi: Beef Mince (not totally lean, but I drain and wash), frozen Chicken Fillets are cheaper here, UHT Milk for yogurts, Skim milk powder, Beef , Eggs, Salmon fillets (cheapest I have ever seen and tiny bit bigger than Farm Foods too), Thin sliced ham, SF sweets best price from here.
From Morrisons: Frozen bags of Mussells £1, Quark is tiny bit cheaper but also less in the tub,

Always check out the reduced sections as they quite often have things like Turkey Mince and the Sausages cheaper in Asda, also beef and whole chickens which can be cooked and re frozen.

I buy the mince from Aldi, split it into four portions and thats enough for just me for one meal. Sometimes, I make up meatballs and burgers in advance, cook and then freeze. Batch cook, its so much easier to grab a bag for lunch instead of worrying.

Look on here and google for recipes, there are thousands to choose from, and if you are unsure about a product...make a note of the nutrional values and ask on here.

As a rule, less than 2g per 100g for dairy / less than 5g per 100g for meats (mince tends to be higher and unless you are rich, have to make do with draining).

Puddings tend to be yogurts, SF jelly (packet made up), Muffins

I have crabsticks / just like tails / prawns / mussells as my supper snacks, if I am hungry.

For pack lunches, try things like chicken strips, boiled eggs, make the dukan bread or muffins with oatbran (I use the other half of my allowances for that). In cruise you can have poultry sausages (2 a day as a tolerated) I make my bread and have sausage sandwiches. Beef sandwiches, or soliders with my eggs. I don't work full time so I have my meals at home, but if you have a microwave at home, pre prepare....my fave is omlette rolls. I use two eggs and make three very thin omlletes. Spread a bit of quark on them like butter, then layer slices of meal and rollup. Also nice with the sausages inside. On PV days I put lettuce and turkey rashers in them..........so yum.

Scooter, you are more than welcome. I love the SP Cottage Cheese, was gobsmacked when I realised it was lower in everything than their own other brand. Try draining some in a small sieve for a couple of hours too, its really thick and creamy and some of the tartness disappears, very yummy. I also chop up a few gherkins and a small shallot, mix it in with a shake of herbs and its fab as a side dish with beef or chicken.........had it tonight with S&P chicken.

Hope all of that helps, I'll have to start a thread for budgets that way we can all add to it if need be.

Thank u x

Back