Easy home workouts???

Hoz

Silver Member
Hi, I'm desperate to be a bit more active, but I'm very limited in what I can do due to currently suffering with an illness. I really enjoy going out for walks, but I can't go more than 20 minutes or so from home in case I have a pain attack.
So I wondered what kind of gentle, low impact workouts I could do from home? I feel so 'pent up' for want of a better word but I have no way of getting rid of the energy... It's now getting to a point where it's affecting my day to day moods and really getting me down. So any advice would really be appreciated.

Light jogging or walking around the house. Walk to your destinations if you can. Stretching out your thighs is also a good idea. Stand on one foot and hold your other foot from behind. Pull on it gently until you feel some strain at your hamstrings. Do this with each leg for 1 minute each.

In either case, you can't really lose weight in one part of your body. Aerobic exercise and lower calorie intake is the best way to lose weight. Taking a walk for 30-60 minutes five days a week with a healthy diet can go a long way.

Good luck!!

I've been using the wii fit and just dance for the wii, if u have any consols at all. They can be as hard or easy as you want them to be and you can take a break whenever you're ready :) xxx

I would agree with the Last post, Wii fit is excellent for gentle workouts.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I've been using the wii fit and just dance for the wii, if u have any consols at all. They can be as hard or easy as you want them to be and you can take a break whenever you're ready :) xxx

I agree with Just Dance - it's fantastic for working out at home. It's a lot of fun and can get you really quite knackered, without seeming like it's proper exercise!

Thanks for ideas everyone. I have to be careful because sudden,movement could make my gallstones shift. Standing up too quickly set off an attack a couple of weeks back x

Bodyweight exercises would be good! They would be gentle in terms of movement, but taxing in terms of strength conditioning!

Lots of sites have free workouts if you search online, but bodyrock.tv is always one I'd recommend.

Wii or xbox kinnect would add a fun dimension to your workouts though!

Alan

You could try yoga or pilates. Theres loads of yoga or pilates DVDs on the market. However, what I did was I went to the library and borrowed a pilates book. It went through the different positions and explained how they should be. There's plenty of those types of books in the library. If you're not 100% sure on a position you can check on YouTube for more guidance.

Just an idea. Hope that helps.

Thanks everyone. I like the idea of yoga and free online videos.
For the time being I've dragged out my cross trainer, hard work but as its virtually no impact it doesn't seem to set off any attacks like walking outside has done a couple of times.

Hi Hoz,
Have you ever tried any of the Leslie Sansone 'Walk at home' workouts?. There are a couple of them loaded up on Youtube that you could check out.
I think she's a great motivator and you can do the workouts at your own pace.
Best of luck with it all!

a wii fit or kinect might be a good option for you.

good, light exercises or hard if you want it to be :)

Okker said:
Hi Hoz,
Have you ever tried any of the Leslie Sansone 'Walk at home' workouts?. There are a couple of them loaded up on Youtube that you could check out.
I think she's a great motivator and you can do the workouts at your own pace.
Best of luck with it all!

No I've not heard if it. I hadn't really thought about fitness videos at all til people suggested it on here, but its a great idea and I'll definitely check a few out now. I have the house to myself most of this week so no excuse not to give it a go :)

gina_b said:
a wii fit or kinect might be a good option for you.

good, light exercises or hard if you want it to be :)

I think we have a Wii tucked away somewhere, will have to have a look for it

Back