Eating back exercise calories

Derbynanny

Gold Member
I know this has been discussed before and the book does say that for intense exercise you can eat back some of the calories burnt off.

In general I don't intend to do this and have worked out i can run up to 5 miles on a dd with no ill effect (have only tried am running so far on DD though)

But today I ended up running 10 miles with a training partner and I think I am going to fade fast on just 500 cals today.

Do you think it would be ok to add in 200 or so calories to my DD ?

I'm not sure what official advice is on this but I think you'd be absolutely fine to have some extra calories today. Listen to your body.

X

My personal take on this is that I want the benefits of fasting as well as the weight loss and actually giving my digestive system a break is part of why I do IF. But, as a fellow runner, I also understand what you are saying... I simply don't plan really long runs on DDs because I want to actually fast. I think if you are doing that kind of distance on a DD it would be hard to replenish your carbohydrate and protein levels keeping under 500 cals.

I run 4-5 times a week and have 3-4 fasting days a week. My running and fasting schedules dovetail really well. Even if you were not fasting, you should only be doing long training runs once or twice a week, with other runs varying between shorter runs and intervals/fartleks. It is perfectly feasible, therefore, to make sure you time long training runs with UDs and use other UDs for shorter or interval training. If you need to run on a DD - which I do sometimes - I either do a short run or do an interval session. Either of this kind of run is fine on 500 cals or less, particularly after a good UD the day before.

HTH

Thank you both

As much as possible I would not normally plan long runs on DD it is just one of those weeks that I am going to struggle to get a long run in at any other time and had already planned my UD AND DD . On going as i don't have much to lose if I am struggling to get my long run in on the right day I will change to an UP or intermediate day as i should still get the health benefits with just 2 or 3 fasting days a week.

Not sure how i have done it but so far have only had 501 calories but may have some more later. I do like to make getting the most from my 500 calories an art form LOL

Thank you again

How did your husband do in his marathon miss happ?

Thank you both

As much as possible I would not normally plan long runs on DD it is just one of those weeks that I am going to struggle to get a long run in at any other time and had already planned my UD AND DD . On going as i don't have much to lose if I am struggling to get my long run in on the right day I will change to an UP or intermediate day as i should still get the health benefits with just 2 or 3 fasting days a week.

Not sure how i have done it but so far have only had 501 calories but may have some more later. I do like to make getting the most from my 500 calories an art form LOL

Thank you again

How did your husband do in his marathon miss happ?

He did really well! Thanks for asking :)

Back