Eating in the same category as alcoholism?

Carmilla

Hi everyone! Since starting sw I've realised I totally need to rethink my relationship with food. I often tell myself 'one day at a time' when I'm struggling. It's led me to think that my bad relationship with food is akin to that of an alcoholic - which makes me wish it was more recognised as a disorder / illness! Just as 'normal' people can have a glass of wine without downing the bottle, so too can they have one slice of pizza without scoffing the lot. I think it's dismissed a lot of the time as a lack of self control but there are usually underlying causes. I just think that if the issue of over eating was approached more in this way then it would be a lot more beneficial. I know that personally I put on weight to stop looking like a little girl, I'm wobbling at the moment because I've lost quite a bit and getting unwanted attention that I struggle to deal with.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts for the day:)

I absolutely believe that for some people, food can be an addiction. Not for everyone obviously but for some people. This is becoming more recognised by the medical community as well with 'binge eating disorder' now recognised as an eating disorder. And did you know there is an' Overeaters Anonymous'? In the same way that AA uses a 12 step programme to treat alcoholics, OA uses a similar approach to help compulsive overeaters.

Like you, I also firmly believe that overcoming binge behaviour takes more than willpower alone. This doesn't let me off the hook in any way - I take responsibility for what I put in my mouth but it's not normal behaviour to repeatedly stuff yourself until you feel sick so clearly something else is going on as well. I'm a little like you in that it's much easier for me to have no chocolate than a little bit - because if I start I find it very hard to stop. Though since starting SW but eating has been much, much better - I've only had 2 small slips since January. I'm not sure why this is, maybe because I need 'rules' to follow? But I am certainly not letting myself get complacent about it. A near lifetime of screwy eating habits will not be 'cured' in a few months! Realistically, this is something I'll have to be mindful of for my whole life.

So yes, in short, I agree with you. I think compulsive overeating is an eating disorder and one, moreover, that can be very damaging to health and family relationships as well as self esteem.

Hi Camilla,

I think it's an interesting point.

There has been many recent discussions regarding this as more and more want a bad relationship with food to be recognised as an 'addiction' rather than a 'habit'. I think our relationship with food can take on many forms ranging from 'punishment to reward' which are clearly complex in nature and must stem from something deeply emotional. Also food is a complex mixture of chemicals so I don't suppose it's any wonder we develop cravings for particular food types.

Apparently, there's a link to sugar, salt and fat being addictive. I'm no expert but if I need a food fix, it's good old chocolate or crisps every time. (Or maybe both).

At least it's reassuring to know that people are beginning to sit up and take notice and that support groups such as 'overeaters anonymous' are there for those who need some support.

I know that my relationship with food is skewed because the only praise I ever got as a child was for clearing my plate.

I know that my relationship with food is skewed because the only praise I ever got as a child was for clearing my plate.

Im exactly the same, I find it hard to leave any food on my plate even when Im full :-( x

Hi everyone! Since starting sw I've realised I totally need to rethink my relationship with food. I often tell myself 'one day at a time' when I'm struggling. It's led me to think that my bad relationship with food is akin to that of an alcoholic - which makes me wish it was more recognised as a disorder / illness! Just as 'normal' people can have a glass of wine without downing the bottle, so too can they have one slice of pizza without scoffing the lot. I think it's dismissed a lot of the time as a lack of self control but there are usually underlying causes. I just think that if the issue of over eating was approached more in this way then it would be a lot more beneficial. I know that personally I put on weight to stop looking like a little girl, I'm wobbling at the moment because I've lost quite a bit and getting unwanted attention that I struggle to deal with.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts for the day:)

It's a weakness, not an illness, as is alcoholism. It is due to lack of self control. Its not pejorative to say so, I think it does more harm than good in dismissing our ability to influence our behaviour as something we have no control over.

We choose to be the people we are, some times those choices are pretty crappy. I know all about that.

As a child money was tight, so waste was not an option - the plate had to be cleared, thankfully now, I cook & serve up less, knowing I can always get something later if I'm hungry

But is there anyone honestly, who cant claim that times were more difficult when we were children and always told we had to clear our plates?

My wife is from nigeria, she was told as a child she must clear her plate because of the people starving in China...

gazter said:
It's a weakness, not an illness, as is alcoholism. It is due to lack of self control. Its not pejorative to say so, I think it does more harm than good in dismissing our ability to influence our behaviour as something we have no control over.

We choose to be the people we are, some times those choices are pretty crappy. I know all about that.

I couldn't disagree more. Addiction is very real; whether it be drugs, alcohol, gambling or food. To say it is simply a choice trivialises the reality of living with addiction.

I couldn't disagree more. Addiction is very real; whether it be drugs, alcohol, gambling or food. To say it is simply a choice trivialises the reality of living with addiction.

I dont consider 'choice' to be trivial. It is a choice, but that doesnt mean it is easy. We choose to do many difficult things and many easy things. Just because we really really really like to do something and find it close to impossible to resist doesnt mean it isnt a choice.

Over eating and binge eating rewires our brain and makes it increasingly more difficult to be aware of both fullness and hunger. Every time we overeat to suppress or deal with an emotion we teach our brain to cope with the issue with food making it a very difficult cycle to break. As if a problem occurs our hunger switch is triggered. Or indeed if we get good news the same happens cos we've wired it that way.

I certainly don't see it as a weakness I do see it as an addiction but also an emotional disorder that people need genuine help for and someday I will overcome. :)

(1st post after loadsa lurking ;-)

Over eating and binge eating rewires our brain and makes it increasingly more difficult to be aware of both fullness and hunger. Every time we overeat to suppress or deal with an emotion we teach our brain to cope with the issue with food making it a very difficult cycle to break. As if a problem occurs our hunger switch is triggered. Or indeed if we get good news the same happens cos we've wired it that way.

I certainly don't see it as a weakness I do see it as an addiction but also an emotional disorder that people need genuine help for and someday I will overcome. :)

(1st post after loadsa lurking ;-)

This is true but also only person who can change is yourself. It's especially hard as we still need to it and unlike drink or drugs you never need touch them again food you do but I think with right support and determination anyone can succeed.

from fat to skinny jeans only 48lb to go

Addiction, whether it be alcohol, drugs, gambling eating is an illness - not a choice!

Having lived with a partner who has alcohol addictions and mental health problems i can tell you for sure these people have NO choice, it really isn't that simple.I have bene in and out of many Psychiatric units / Rehab Units (for the partner and work experience) and funnily enough there are many people here with eating disorders!!!! Men and Women of all ages and Classes with Anorexia / Bulimia and food addiction......same applies with Drug and Alcohol addictions. Men and Women from all walks of life.

Society chooses what the 'majority' want to accept as an illness or a 'problem of choice'. Although Mental Health, Drug Abuse and Alcohol Abuse are 'recognised' there's still alot of work to be done to get GP's to even recognize this.......and this also goes for people with eating disorders..thankfully there are some who do accept over eating or under eating as a disorder.... drugs, drink, gambling, sex,nicotine, food addictions are all linked to emotionally changing the way people feel.

Hand on heart I used to believe that said partner had a 'choice' to drink. I used to believe he went into the shop and bought that drink but someone wouldn't walk into a shop and choose an illness .... but most people have an addiction as a medication for an illness that isnt visible such as a broken arm etc etc HOWEVER everyone has a choice to turn it around, although everyone needs support to do this. It's not something easily done ....but you can become addicted to these things, it's having the courage and support to choose to change....

xx

Back