eating low cal - cooking high cal

saidan

hi all - i am currently eating 1200 cals per day.

struggling though as my little boy needs a high cal diet due to a medical condition.

so this morning i found myself eating a jumbo croissant & jam with him - so a 350 cal breakfast :rolleyes: normally i eat my weetabix but the smell lured me

does anyone else have to cook high cal and eat low cal?

any tips please? i've been 1200cal for 2 weeks now and am starting to struggle....

saidan

I had low fat sausages an toast and egg for brekkie - I only had that cos I knew I would work it off at the gym - I try to eat as healthy and as low cal as I can - it must be hard trying to cook low cal when your son requires a high cal menu. Can u cook yours separate?

Are you exercising? X

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

You could make the main part of your meal low cal like chichen and veg and then add a high carb element like pasta, rice, potatoes or chips to your sons plate and give yourself extra veg. if he needs extra fat maybe drizzles his veg in olive oil (good fat). Must be frustrating having a child with different dietary needs, I complain that my daughter wont eat anything in a tomatoe sauce lol.

Good luck!

Malibu xx

I cook normally for my kids and man because they don't have any issues with weight, in fact all of them could do with putting some on.

I don't really have an issue with it myself. Things like sausage casserole I buy like asda's low fat ones for me and normal for them, they'll have mash potato, I'll have extra veg.

My son has aspergers so eats a very limited and highly peculiar diet lol. I've given up now and just cook separate meals for everyone.

I try and keep the main elements the same if possible. So we might have roast dinner but he will have chicken breast not part of a joint (won't eat food that been cut off a bigger bit....like I said!! Peculiar lol) and then we'll have potatoes an veggies but I throw two potato waffles in the oven for him instead.

It's a bit wasteful with energy and creates a lot more washing up but I can't eat the same meal 7 days a week like him!!!

It not just me who has to cook different meals then.
My OH is vegi & my son Is dairy intolerant and I'm counting cals.

mcv said:
It not just me who has to cook different meals then.
My OH is vegi & my son Is dairy intolerant and I'm counting cals.

Lord no haha. I'm CC, Jamie is just plain weird and my other two kids......well it's hard to force them to eat salad every night when big bro gets away with it!!! Poor hubby just gets what he's given :)

I'm lucky that i usually get away with cooking same/similar things for me and my OH, but I do things like have half a grilled chicken breast with roast veggies, and he'll have a stuffed chicken breast wrapped in bacon.

Good luck, I know how enviously I look at my OH's plate, and I'd have had the croissant too >.<

thank you for all your suggestions.

for the main part i cook the same for the whole family - and then add something nice and fattening in for ds :)

i also try to think which my exercise days are - and cook higher on that day for us all....but it is very annoying!

I always do my kids meals separate to ours mostly because the kids are off to bed early and mornings we all eat the same weetabix but I use full fat milk in the kids weetabix Xx

Back