Eating Out - Browns syn query

Cholney5

I was wondering if anyone can help with Browns syns. I am going tonight and thinking of having one of the following:

Braised Shoulder of Welsh Lamb 16.95

with a casserole of pearl barley, spinach, root vegetables
and broad beans

Grilled Breast of Chicken 12.45
topped with prosciutto and taleggio served with a basil oil
and a choice of crisp summer salad or chips

Fillets of Fresh Sea Bass 16.45
with curried sweet potato, chick pea and spinach
topped with a yoghurt and caper dressing

Which would you say is the best choice and how many syns? I am staying syn free all day so can enjoy and am happy to make up for over rest of week but no idea if I would be under-estimating! :)

You can't give a syn estimate - aside from asking the chef how it is cooked, it's difficult to know.

Lamb is quite fatty so there'll be a fair bit of fat in the casserole, oil may be included in the dish

Chicken - proscuitto is a couple of syns, cheese - at least 6 and I bet they use more than 30g, basil oil, 6 per tbsp

Sea bass - watch out for oil in cooking and butter in the spinach etc and oil in the dressing.

We would have no idea on underestimating either - best thing is to pick what you think is the best option and eat syn free, as you suggest.

I would go for the sea bass.

Cholney5 said:
I was wondering if anyone can help with Browns syns. I am going tonight and thinking of having one of the following:

Braised Shoulder of Welsh Lamb 16.95
with a casserole of pearl barley, spinach, root vegetables
and broad beans

Grilled Breast of Chicken 12.45
topped with prosciutto and taleggio served with a basil oil
and a choice of crisp summer salad or chips

Fillets of Fresh Sea Bass 16.45
with curried sweet potato, chick pea and spinach
topped with a yoghurt and caper dressing

Which would you say is the best choice and how many syns? I am staying syn free all day so can enjoy and am happy to make up for over rest of week but no idea if I would be under-estimating! :)

For future reference there is an eating out forum where this would be better posted.
I would probably go for the chicken, with salad and ask them to hold the oil.
Prosciutto is a type of ham approx 1/2syn per slice so you would need to make an educated guess as to how much is on there.
25g of taleggio is approx 3.5 syns so again would need to be a generous guess.
As always though allow extra syns for the hidden stuff. It will likely be cooked in oil, bear in mind also that salad usually comes dressed so you might want to ask for dressing on the side etc. Enjoy!

Must say they all sound lovely. They probably all have hidden syns. I'm not aware of browns, but at a decent restaurant the lamb wouldn't be fatty. I wouldn't think there would be more than your days worth of syns in any of the meals, so I would therefore go for what you most fancy as you may feel deprived if you went for the one with the lowest guestimate of syns. 1 meal out of 21 isn't going to spoil your week.

Back