Eating Out Guide - do you trust it????

Discussion in 'Weight Watchers' started by Marie_D, 26 February 2009 Social URL.

1. Marie_D

Marie_D Gold Member

Do you trust/use the Eating Out Guide a lot for points values??

I just wondered - because I find it really hard to trust that it's right :confused:

We went out for a meal today - I had fish and chips and a side order of garlic bread. Now according the eating out guide, that works out at 18pts, which doesn't seem enough to me at all! It was a huge piece of fish and now I'm worried that I've blown my diet for the week :(

I only at 1/4 of the garlic bread and 3/4 of the fish and chips, so according to the EOG that's just 12pts. 12pts reeeeeally doesn't seem enough to me.

What do you all think about the EOG and how it points things??

I'm just curious really - interested to know everyone else's thoughts on it.

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. smilerjen

smilerjen Has the power of the horn

Start Weight:
    16st6lb
    Current Weight:
    16st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    I dont trust it at all! Sandy just laughed at me when I told her how concerned I was!! lol! The chinese is the same! how can chicken and pineapple be 3 points when pineapple isnt free and there is LOADS of chicken!! I dont get it!!
    Suppose you have to trust tho and I seem to be losing weight quite constantly touch wood and I eat out a lot!

4. Starlight

Starlight Gold Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    I know sometimes it DOES seem a bit unbelievable but I do trust it, if it was just an independant site or something I wouldnt but the fact its official - I do lol

You can always double check a lot of restaurants, most places have the values on their website. The online sticky thread has quite a few restaurants listed :)

5. mommyB

mommyB love it

Start Weight:
    14st13lb
    Current Weight:
    14st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st6lb(2.87%)
    I do trust it because on many occassions its all we've got to go on and so is better than nothing , but the points value for chips for example is for an average portion, and portions vary hugely from plaice to plaice (pardon the pun) . i know in some case it gives weight but who's gonna get their scales out in the middle of macdonalds ??

6. Starlight

Starlight Gold Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    I have to admit I dont worry about things like McDonalds & KFC I always reckon their portions are pretty much the same all over its the more general ones like chip shop chips that Im not sure about mind you I never eat them :rotflmao:

7. Marie_D

Marie_D Gold Member

I agree that fast food places such as McDonalds or KFC are probably pretty accurate, because their foods are pretty much the same wherever you go - but things like restaurants, fish & chips, chinese etc - I just find it really hard to trust! The garlic bread that came with my meal was massive - it was a huge piece of bread, cut in half with garlic butter, but the bread itself was bigger than 2 slices of normal thick cut bread, so how can it have been just 4.5pts?! It makes me really nervous to have to use the EOG for things like that.

McDonalds etc seems much more realistic with points too, because it's actually quite high in points - as you'd expect. But fish & chips etc just don't seem high enough in points for the quantity (and grease!) you get with it.....

I keep thinking that I'll just avoid eating out, but it's never gonna happen - we are big fans of meals out and takeaways in this house, so it's unlikely we'll ever stop having them, haha. I suppose the scales will tell on Monday - if I've lost weight with a meal out using the EOG, then it must be right....right?

8. Karenlou

Karenlou Gold Member

I think if eating out is an occassional treat, it won't hurt your weight loss anyway, but I know what you mean about worrying about portion sizes.

9. Less Rotund One

Less Rotund One Gold Member

Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Diet:
    CD
    I think the term "average portion" has a lot to answer for - in the EOG and in life in general - I mean, what is average....;)

With any of the chains - we are totally safe as they are portion controlled for us and will be the same time after time after time. Its the independents that are significantly more tricky. I think we just have to apply a degree of "common sense" to it all. We pretty much know what an average portion looks like so if we are eating more than that then we need to point it up accordingly to be on the safe side.

The garlic bread did sound a little on the large side to me to be honest :eek: I reckon a pizza hut sized portion would be considered "average"

Chippy stuff is not that bad because the chips are fat and therefore actually absorb less fat that the likes of McD's chips - its about surface area apparently...so the scientist in my house have assured me!!

As a last thought...if Sandy trusts it (and she takes it everywhere and is losing weight brilliantly) then who are we to be sceptical!!

10. little*red

little*red Don't worry, be happy :)

Start Weight:
    11st12lb
    Current Weight:
    9st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    7st12lb
    Lost(%):
    2st12lb(24.1%)
    Diet:
    Clean eating
    This is exactly what i was about to say, its true though, if you look at the chunky chips from mcdonald i think they are about 5 points whereas a regular is 5.5. In some cases i think its just generally that the sat fat is lower and therefore makes the points a little lower, all to do with the formula.
    I still can't believe I can get away with eating 4 slices of dominoes pizza with 1/2 a dip for about 11points, but a few weeks ago ate it twice in one week and lost 2lbs, my best loss since starting ww.

Sorry for rambling, I guess its as Rosie said just have a bit of common sense regarding what an 'average' portion size may be and you'll be fine. x

11. mum_of_one

mum_of_one Silver Member

I dont trust it either and I have found a couple of irregularities with things.

12. Trendytracz

Trendytracz Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st13lb
    Current Weight:
    14st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st10lb(16.03%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    yeh I often think 2 myself what is the average portion when it comes to the chippy.I think mcds is right but hey y worry if u r still lossing lbs :D

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.