Eek! Balsamic panic!

CaledoniaDreaming

Silver Member
I don't have my copy of the book (lent it out to sister-in-law) and have a roast recipe that tells you to cook the joint in a cup of balsamic vinegar - should I do this, how much balsamic can we have? The carb content on the bottle seems really really high (27g per 100ml) to me and I am seriously panicking. Any help please guys! :eek::confused::eek:

Balsamic has a highish sugar/grape must content (hence its mild sweet flavour!) so you ought to treat it with some 'respect'. Generally you don't use more than a TB on a meal or salad between 4 ppl. For your roast - I suppose the vinegar evaporates leaving a 'sticky glaze'? Use you own judgement... (sorry not being helpful, am I!)

I never checked balsamic's label. In his book I found it interesting and favorable D ukan recommended 4times the amunt of balsamic over cider vinegars in his main vinaigrette recipe. Now wondering if it's a typo and should have been reversed. It's what I used all five days on a salad for pv lunch. Not a very successful sequence of pf for me either. But it was my first, so don't have any comparison. Will change this next go and see if there's any effect. I definitely had more than a tablespoon a day, probably two.

Sorry that's no help at all for your recipe! Maybe some alcohol, brandy, instead? Wonder what's the carb count on brandy after alcohol is burned off?

Personally I'm quite liberal with my balsamic. I love the stuff! I tried a 50yr old once and it was pure heaven!

We get our vinegars from the Oil and Vinegar shop here, which I think has branches in the UK. We have 2 amazing ones currently, other than our balsamic. Apple, elderflower and lime vinegar and passionfruit balsamic. Oh! And a Riesling vinegar.
These don't have labels so I don't think about if I'm allowed them...Dukan said we could have vinegars and that's enough for me...:p

I like that reasoning, it's good enough for me too. I love balsamic and have an elderberry one I was wondering about. Great way to flavor things up without salt.

Thanks everyone.Think I'm going to do two liberal tbsps each. After all, the juices will be lovely anyway and the balsamic is an extra.

Back