Egremont Russet apples.

MargyParker

My belly this will be!
Russet apples taste wonderful to me but I realise they are not everyones cuppa tea so to speak. There are many types but the type I am asking about is the egremont russet the type with the rough skins all over that are a pale brown colour and feel almost like sand paper.

When I buy these apples the smaller ones seem fine but the bigger ones have brown spots in the flesh. Very small spots usually although some of them can be as big as a match head. I tried googling to no avail. Anyone know what these brown spots are and if they are ok to eat? The flesh tastes the same from both types - but thought it was worth an ask. Any views much appreciated. :)

oh my! that was weird - went back on to google and saw my own post on here during the search!:eek: That darn google gets everywhere!

I have noticed this with russet apples in the past. As far as I know they are fine to eat - I always have and I am still here!

Egremont Russets are amazing - a taste like no other apple! Must remember to buy some soon. Lovely with cheese.

hi there i love russet apples but i have found the opposite the large ones have been fine but the small ones i had all had those brown spots and tasted bitter and awful must be some sort of bruising they tasted rotten yuk had to spit it out :eek:

Back