eplilator - do you use one?

Discussion in 'Nutrition, Health & Beauty' started by Dancing, 29 March 2008 Social URL.

1. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

Do they REALLY work? I am not one for getting my hair removed by another. I don't think much of immac - esp for bikini area (end up looking like a plucked chicken a day or two later - not a good look), razors are okay but it grows back quick, home waxing .... too messy. The most I'll do is use Boots single use cold wax strips. So, what about epilators?

Do you use one at home yourself?
    How often do you use it?
    Would you consider yourself of low medium or high hair quantity?
    DOES IT HURT?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. KD

KD Gone fishing

Diet:
    Was Cambridge, now maintaining
    Do you use one at home yourself? Yes

How often do you use it? When I remember. Ummm. Once a month...or maybe twice a year :D (bad memory)

Would you consider yourself of low medium or high hair quantity? Probably medium. Hard to compare as everyone else remembers to use theirs:confused:

DOES IT HURT? Yes

4. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

You are funny KD

I left off a question - should I bother buying one?

5. Porgeous

Porgeous Chilling

Start Weight:
    14st1lb
    Current Weight:
    8st10lb
    Lost(%):
    5st5lb(38.07%)
    Diet:
    CD SS
    OUCH!!!! Like a million little tweezers or sticking pins in your eyes whichever you prefer ;)

6. KD

KD Gone fishing

Diet:
    Was Cambridge, now maintaining
    Depends if it fits in with other sado-masochistic practices you may be practising. Be warned though...don't use it for nasal hair. Not only painful, but makes the 'grater' part of the epilator all gungy.

7. Porgeous

Porgeous Chilling

Start Weight:
    14st1lb
    Current Weight:
    8st10lb
    Lost(%):
    5st5lb(38.07%)
    Diet:
    CD SS
    :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

8. hollycat

hollycat To infinity and beyond!

Start Weight:
    23st7lb
    Current Weight:
    15st13.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    14st7lb
    Lost(%):
    7st7.5lb(32.07%)
    Diet:
    Slim and Save
    This is the second epidlady I have owned, I cut my own hair as I hate going to the hairdressers, so couldn't be doing with going to get my legs waxed. Shaving needs doing too often, so epilady good for this.

Like I said I have been using it for years and now have large patches where leg hair no longer grows - don't know if this is normal, but less hair to epilady anyway. :D

9. jane

jane Opinionated

Diet:
    cambridge
    Sometimes I'm not sure whether you are joshing or not....this is one of those times

I agree. Hair seems to be less after a couple of years of using it. Logically this should be the cae,like eyebrow plucking. If yoiu wrench the hair out of the follicle often enough, the follicle should be damamged & grow a less vigorous hair.

GO ON !!! get one!!!

10. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

so it wouldn't be good for bikini area then?

I'm thinking it sounds like the pain would be unbearable in that area but it is worth considering for the legs/underarms

11. hollycat

hollycat To infinity and beyond!

Start Weight:
    23st7lb
    Current Weight:
    15st13.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    14st7lb
    Lost(%):
    7st7.5lb(32.07%)
    Diet:
    Slim and Save
    I have never tried bikini area, but find underarms quite painful, legs are immune now.

12. flirty40greeneyes

flirty40greeneyes Busy busy busy!!

Start Weight:
    15st3lb
    Current Weight:
    13st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st6lb(9.39%)
    Diet:
    Slim and Save
    Ouch - bought one ages ago ... tried to use - hurt like hell and that was it - I'm a big baby!!

13. Bea

Bea Back on the wagon!

Start Weight:
    17st7lb
    Current Weight:
    16st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2lb(6.53%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge +
    Not into pain either! Immac I think is the best for those bikini areas/under arms.....oh the other thing to be careful of is if you have naturally curly hair - you can get ingrown one when you are taking hair from below the hair line....as I learnt from bitter experince....OUCH!!!!

14. Kitteh

Kitteh Resident geek

Diet:
    sw
    Do you use one at home yourself?
    Yes.. Or i did before i lost it when i moved house..
    How often do you use it?
    Used to use it about once every 3-4 weeks
    Would you consider yourself of low medium or high hair quantity?
    I have quite light hair.. so.. yeah..
    DOES IT HURT?
    yes.. of course it does.. its hairs being pulled out.. BUT.. its a wee bit like waxing.. after you have done it for a few times.. its not something that bothers you..

I would really reccomend them.. you can get ones with ice packs n stuff.. so that you cant feel it.. its really good.. waxing is too costly.. and messy.. shaving gets on my nerves.. so.. yeah..

would i reccomend one? deffanitly..

x x x

15. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

Wanna sell me yours then??? ;)

16. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

I've learnt that if you exfoliate everyday, you don't get the ingrown hairs.

17. flirty40greeneyes

flirty40greeneyes Busy busy busy!!

Start Weight:
    15st3lb
    Current Weight:
    13st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st6lb(9.39%)
    Diet:
    Slim and Save
    Would have happily given it to you - but took it to a car boot yonks ago and someone else had it I'm afraid :eek::rolleyes::p

18. Avatar

MiniMins.com Advert

19. busylizzie

busylizzie Full Member

Do they REALLY work? Yep I have been using mine for a couple of years and the hairs are patchier, finer, softer and paler.

Do you use one at home yourself? Yep

How often do you use it? All the time! As soon as the hair starts coming through. At least once a week (but I'm hairy and do all over). Would you consider yourself of low medium or high hair quantity? That would have to be HIGH!
    DOES IT HURT? I can honestly say I don't find it painful at all (but I have been doing it years so maybe my senses are dead!). I have one with an ice pack but I never use it. It is time consuming if you are hairy. I do pretty much everywhere there is hair including bikini. My biggest advice is not to let the hair grow too long before you do it.

I have even recommended them to friends. I know a guy who does his chest with it and one of my best friends is excessively hairy and does toes, feet, arms and armpits, bikini, legs, you name it she removes it!

Buy one for sure. Wait until there is a sale on if you don't want to spend too much money. Or have a look on eBay.

20. Ktd

Ktd Full Member

Today I epilated my armpits.

It was a whole new world of pain I never knew existed but the sense of accomplishment was huge! :cry:(that for the pain)

21. Kitteh

Kitteh Resident geek

Diet:
    sw
    i found one for about 15ish quid in asda.. i mean.. its not cheeeeap.. but i mean if you wanted to try n see if you thought it was alright.. then you could invest in a more expensive one eventually..!

x x x

22. canireallydothis!!

canireallydothis!! Gold Member

Diet:
    Cambridge!
    I know I shouldnt laugh, but this made me chuckle!!

I havent epilated, I have my legs waxed and eyebrows, as for the pits I shave and also my bikini line.

If anyone is interested I have one of those sandpaper babyliss things, never used that either:D

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.