Epsom Salts Aid Weight Loss

DollyBeth

Theres been a lot of talk on this forum about using moisturisers to avoid/minimise saggy skin and stretchmarks. But did you know that Epsom Salts can be very useful when losing weight? Having a bath in Epsom Salts releases toxins from your skin and can help combat things like cellulite.

Here's the science bit -

Epsom salts contain magnesium sulfate and, when placed in bath water, magnesium sulfate gets absorbed by the skin. Once it gets absorbed in the body, the salt works naturally to lower stress levels, flush out toxins from the body and also help treat various skin issues. According to Dr. Mehmet Oz, daytime Emmy Award winning host of The Dr. Oz Show and vice-chair and professor of surgery at Columbia University, the Epsom salt detoxifies the body by getting rid of environmental toxins that have gotten absorbed by the body in so many years. Getting rid of these toxins automatically brings down your weight, he claims.

I try and have an Epson Salt bath 3 or 4 times a week, and they do help you feel relaxed. I use them on my face as well, and they have really helped with acne. They are more commonly used as an oral cure for constipation, so if you try and buy them in Boots you will only find baked-bean can sized tubs. I get 1kg bags from my local pharmacy, much better value! They also sell big bags in some health food shops.

It's no miracle cure for weight loss, but getting rid of some toxins and improving the condition of your skin can only be a good thing.

Last edited:
ooooooooooooo sounds wicked!!! Love baths anyway so how much are the??? and how much do you use?? xx

Lol, maybe there's a discount on Epsom Salts in Epsom....

I pay £3.99 for a 1kg bag, but I know you can buy even bigger amounts online. I've bought a giant tub from a health food shop before but it cost £7. I get mine from local chemist (not a big chain shop like Boots). One bag lasts for 4 baths as I like them really salty (don't worry, they are not actual table salt). But you could have less. Just don't mix them with anything else like bubble bath or bath bombs or they won't work.

ooooooooooooooo just ordered some off of ebay and excited!!! Do they sting???

Iatemywillpower - I'm in Guildford! Loving the name by the way.....

Thank you for the info Dollybeth, although I was most confused when I read 'They are more commonly used as a cure for constipation when drunk,' I thought, do drunks tend to suffer from constipation?! Doh!!

Thank you for the info Dollybeth, although I was most confused when I read 'They are more commonly used as a cure for constipation when drunk,' I thought, do drunks tend to suffer from constipation?! Doh!!

LOL. I was just thinking exactly the same ....

Ha ha me too. I might try these too so would like to hear others opinions once they have tried it :)

Mint! I shall be hotfooting to my local chemist tomorrow to get some... every little helps before WI on thurs as according to my scales I've put on! (Yes, I know sneaky peeks are bad! Couldn't resist! Anyway, I don't feel too disappointed as it's TOTM).
And thanks for posting DollyBeth, as I would have put some bubbles in too - I will make sure I have them as god intended!

Ha ha! That was some bad English on my part there. I have re-phrased it now! I asked for Epsom Salts in Boots and couldn't understand why the lady ushered me over to the indigestion and constipation section! But a friend of mine used them on her five year old son for those kind of troubles, and they worked! Just thought I'd share that in case you need to know for future ref.

Hope you enjoy your Epsom baths! They don't sting, it kinda feels like you are just sitting in cloudy water and you want some bubbles. But don't be tempted to add bubbles!! I can't explain it, maybe it's psychological but these baths are very relaxing! Good to have before bedtime because they relieve insomnia and stress. Plus your skin works its hardest overnight to repair damage, so if you flush out the toxins before sleep it will help!

DollyBeth, is there a limit to how long you can sit in an Epsom bath? Been on the tinterweb & one said to sit for about 15 mins, but that's only a quarter of my usual wallow time!
Fi :)

No, there's no limit! But people with kidney stones should avoid Epsom Salt baths as it might upset magnesium levels. Though some websites say Epsom Salts can help ease kidney stones, so....what ca ya do!

Here's some (non-kidney stone related) info -

Epsom Salt Uses & Benefits | SaltWorks

It says the salts can be used for gardening too, if you're into that kinda thing. Also, many professional athletes bathe in Epsom Salts after training to minimise sore muscles the next day, and I know someone who claims these almost cured her joint pain she had suffered from for years!

Last edited:
pleased to report ive had my epsom bath lovely it was too, im going to order a bigger bag off ebay as the little bean tin size i got today cost 1.99 and i used that just in one bath ive been to wobble tonite so hopefully it will help with any aches and pain tomorrow massive thank u for the tip :p

Whilst trying to find big bags of epsom salts - came across this - never knew about using it for autism. You learn something new every day.

Epsom Salt is widely used in the sports world for treating muscle pain and bruising
Recommend usage ina bath of approx 300g - 500g or 1 -2 large mug fulls.
Its also an easy way to raise the bodys level of Magnesium and Sulphate which are insufficient in todays diet, for more information on epsom salt and its many uses please visit Epsom Salt Council
Benefits of Epsom salt in treating Autism !
Epsom salts are used as an intervention which can help alleviate some of the symtoms related to Autism.
Dr Rosemary Waring found that most people with Austic Spectrum Disorder have a deficiency ina key detoxification pathway, known as sulphation. This detoxification process can be amellorated by supplementing with sulphate, sulphate is poorly absorbed when taken orally but is more easily absorbed through the skin.For this reason many parents of children with Autism add Epsom Salts to their bath water with many reporting benefits such as improved sleep patterns. calmer behaviour and improvements in skin conditions such as Eczema.
Magnesium the other component of epsom salts can also be absorbed through the skin and since children with Autism are often deficient in magnesium too a bath with added Epsom salts can provide a beneficial increase in this essential mineral also.
Our Epsom salts are 100% food Grade & chemically Pure FCC Grade with a typical Magnesium Sulphate ( MgS0 ) of 49.1 %
Epsom Salts are an approved laxative so consultation with your doctor is advised before taking orally, all the above information is for general purposes only and consultation with your GP is always advised otherwise.

Oooh I'm gonna try this I'm retaining water badly at the minute thank you for this x

Nothing tastes as good as Slim feels :)

I have read this whilst sat in a bath (using iPad) and am now heading off to somewhere on the Internet to buy some :) thanks for the heads up :)

Be careful of that iPad in the bath!! Lol, if that were me I would so drop it in there.

Back