Essential Kitchen Equipment

VeggieBev

Silver Member
I am restarting SW and so have dug out my trusty slow cooker from the back of the cupboard. I really don't know how I survived without it last time around.

I'm also investing in a microwave rice steamer as my rice usually ends up as one congealed lump (lovely!). In the past I've resorted to the Uncle Bens pouches but I'd rather not use my syns on them. My friend suggested the steamer (as I'm on a bit of a budget and anything fancier is probably out of my price range) and I'm hoping it will solve all of my problems - well the rice-related ones at the very least!

I just wondered if anyone else has any essential kitchen kit which has been useful for doing SW?

x

Couldn't live without my steamer!

Measuring spoons & jug.
A good chopping board.

That's all I can think of at the moment :)

Love love love my steamer

Also a hand blender is good for soups. I also bought a cheapish food processor for some of the recipes but havent used it much

Trying to use my slow cooker more.

Lakeland pineapple peeler/corer - omg you'll wonder how you ever lived without one

Zyliss garlic press - only one I've ever had that worked

have also heard great things about the soup makers but havent got one......yet!!!

Couldn't live without my steamer!

Measuring spoons & jug.
A good chopping board.

That's all I can think of at the moment :)

Ah you just reminded me. My trusty measuring spoons broke the other day so I must pop out and invest in some new ones.

x

Love love love my steamer

Also a hand blender is good for soups. I also bought a cheapish food processor for some of the recipes but havent used it much

Trying to use my slow cooker more.

Lakeland pineapple peeler/corer - omg you'll wonder how you ever lived without one

Zyliss garlic press - only one I've ever had that worked

have also heard great things about the soup makers but havent got one......yet!!!

Intrigued by the corer, I might have a look online at that.

Haven't got a soup maker either. I've also heard wonderful things but, personally, I can't see how they can be better than just sticking everything in a big soup pot on the hob. If someone out there has one, please enlighten me....

Forgot about the hand blender too - couldn't live without mine either.

x

It's pricey but I love my actifry! We have roast potatoes or chips at least once a week and they're syn free!

You can do all kinds of other things in it but we stick to sweet potatoes. roast potatoes and chips

For perfect rice just cook in pan with double the amount of water. So for me, hubby and three children one mug of rice, two mugs boiling water, veggie stock cube (if you want), stir, lid on, turn down to lowest and cook for 10 mins. Don't touch, stir, take lid off, just believe!! When the time is up, perfect rice, no rinsing, straining or congealed lumps!! Use basmati rice, not 'easy cook'. No need for a steamer for rice, this is foolproof!

My kitchen essential would be a good non stick frying pan, enamel ones are good, the no oil/fry light really tests the non stick coating!! And definitely get a pineapple corer/slicer, they are cheap (look on ebay) and make eating fresh pineapple so easy, every home should have one!! :D

Intrigued by the corer, I might have a look online at that.

Haven't got a soup maker either. I've also heard wonderful things but, personally, I can't see how they can be better than just sticking everything in a big soup pot on the hob. If someone out there has one, please enlighten me....

Forgot about the hand blender too - couldn't live without mine either.

x

I think the good thing is about them is you just bung the stuff in and turn it on - no worries about stirring/checking its not setting on etc - then I think you can blitz it in the soup maker.

i really dont need one but I do want one though where the hell I'll put it I dont know!!!

I always use brown rice and just boil it in a pan of water - it never sticks as its got some of the husk left on, tastes much nicer than white rice

I think the good thing is about them is you just bung the stuff in and turn it on - no worries about stirring/checking its not setting on etc - then I think you can blitz it in the soup maker.

i really dont need one but I do want one though where the hell I'll put it I dont know!!!

Ah, that does sound easy. I'm quite keen now......!
x

Ah, that does sound easy. I'm quite keen now......!
x

I've got a soup maker and love it. You just chuck whatever you want into it, add some stock and set it to smooth or chunky and about 20 minutes later you have a lovely soup. I use it once a week to make a batch of soup for lunches to take to work.

I've got a soup maker and love it. You just chuck whatever you want into it, add some stock and set it to smooth or chunky and about 20 minutes later you have a lovely soup. I use it once a week to make a batch of soup for lunches to take to work.

Out of interest which one have you got? A girl I know doesnt have the one thats advertised in sw mag - she has a cheaper one (less than £50) that she says is really good

Out of interest which one have you got? A girl I know doesnt have the one thats advertised in sw mag - she has a cheaper one (less than £50) that she says is really good

I've got the Morphy Richards one (think its the same as the one in the mag). It was a Christmas present a couple of years ago and I haven't had any problems with it.

I really think I need one :D

I really think I need one :D

I didn't realise I needed one till I had it! I'd say that if you get one, make sure you cover the contents with stock fully as it can get a little thick if you're not careful. It also has a blend function so you can blend it smoother if you want or blend other things as well. Mine also has a 'juice' function but I haven't used it (think it's just to blend stuff for smoothies)

A few people in my class have the soup maker and all say it's great.

I don't have one though I just don't have the kitchen space one or a acti fry :(

I would love both though!!!

I don't have one though I just don't have the kitchen space one or a acti fry :(

We obviously both need bigger kitchens!!

I have a tiny kitchen (don't even have space for a washing machine or microwave) and my soup maker lives in a cupboard during the week, along with the slow cooker. Think OH might be buyng me a mixer for Christmas so will need to find space for that though!

A Halo/Halogen oven. I only really use mine for slimming world chips/roasties and baked kale but it was a lot cheaper than an actifry so I don't mind. :) They are much nicer than ones done in the oven and I don't have to parboil.

Back