Eternal lack of Motivation

Ophycore

Okay so, a few years ago I lost a stone and a half on SW. I was really happy with my weight. However during the course of me losing weight I also had gallstones which meant I avoided all fatty food like the plague because the pain it caused was unbearable.

However when they removed my Gallbladder and I could eat Fat again.... naturally I did...and I HAVE BEEN EVER SINCE.

I've been trying to do SW since the start of the year and safe to say is 6 months I've lost.....3lbs total. Yo-yoing a lot.
I just can't commit, I find it so hard. What was easy before was that I just couldn't eat fat even if I wanted too.

I have always done it from home, which worked fine before but my family go away a lot so when it's just me I find it hard to put the effort in just for myself.
Recently I'm thinking my only hope would be to join a group, does it really help? I've put it off because I can't afford it (My mum said she would pay for 10 sessions if I stuck to it) I'm getting so desperate. Everyone tells me I look fine which makes it EVEN HARDER!

I weigh 13 stone. I want to weigh 10 and a half or less!

Any help or advice would be good. I know the diet backwards and I have all the food / ingredients in my house but it's finding the effort to stop myself grabbing a chocolate bar and a bag of crisps from work after every shift!

:(

Sadly i know the feeling! I officially joined SW nearly a year ago (beginning of July) and i have lost a total of 3lb!
I would say life keeps getting in the way, which is true, but everyone on here has stuff going on and they still manage it so i think it's an excuse for me really, and not a very good one.
Everyone on here is brilliant and you will get lots of support, it just doesn't seem to help me (not their fault at all!) unfortunately.

I also know the plan inside out, i personally don't get anything out of group but that could be because it is so busy that basically you are there 2 hours and get 30 seconds to say if you are ok or not. BUT an awful lot of people do get a lot out of group and swear by it, so again, i think it is a personal thing.

Sorry, this post isn't much help, just didn't want you to feel ignored and alone, of which you are neither :) x

I had a bit of lack of motivation too. I have only been doing it 2 month...stuck to it the first month and lost 4.3kg and have messed about for the last month making excuses.. I am now back on it...today I have made a book with photos in, recipes etc. I have even done a model my diet (or whatever website it is) for before and after....hoping it will inspire me!

Good luck....start today.....then you will be at goal a day earlier than if you start tomorrow ;)

I don't know how the GP referral scheme works (whether you need to be a certain BMI etc) but it could be worthwhile asking for a referral to get 12 classes for free to get you kick started. It could be motivational for you to go to class even for the new member talk, get all your books and see what the classes are like. If you decide the classes are not for you - no harm done.

Good luck!

However when they removed my Gallbladder and I could eat Fat again.... naturally I did...and I HAVE BEEN EVER SINCE.....
:(

Just a little word of caution :) I had my gallbladder removed in 1999 and was fine with it for years afterwards. BUT eating a "normal" diet again caused me to develop stones in my bile ducts :eek: and believe me, the colics were just as agonising as the ones I had before the removal of the gallbladder. Without the gallbladder you have lost the "storage vessel" for the bile that breaks down the fat in your food and your stomach and intestines have to work an awful lot harder.
Tbh, I never want to endure them colics again for the rest of my life, so I will continue to avoid greasy foods and excessive fat and oil for the rest of my existence LOL
Good luck with your plan, whatever you'll go for. Your body will thank you for it xx

I've never tried SW from home but I think the group thing really helps me to stay focused cause I got this one day to work towards. I got my 1 1/2 stone award this week and I only joined 7 weeks ago. I would give it a try for a couple of weeks and see what you think. I'm not a huge group person and normally try to avoid things like that but the support and advice from the other members is simply fab :)

This may sound a bit controversial and perhaps unhelpful to you, but perhaps you need to look at whether losing weight (or, just slimming world) is what you want to do. I joined group in January last year and stayed til around may. My heart was not in it and I was not motivated at all, gaining and losing the same few pounds week in week out. I was wasting money because my motivation was not there.

I joined again last week and, it is only my first week, but I feel motivated. I want to do this, I don't feel I have to, no one is forcing me to, but I actually want to do this. The motivation is there. You need to ask yourself whether you really are ready to do this and, most importantly, if you want to. It is tough, it can be boring and it can feel as though its taking over your life at times.

I know it's cliche and often an 'excuse' but I really do believe your head has to be in the right place for losing weight. If its not, it won't work.

This may sound a bit controversial and perhaps unhelpful to you, but perhaps you need to look at whether losing weight (or, just slimming world) is what you want to do. I joined group in January last year and stayed til around may. My heart was not in it and I was not motivated at all, gaining and losing the same few pounds week in week out. I was wasting money because my motivation was not there.

I joined again last week and, it is only my first week, but I feel motivated. I want to do this, I don't feel I have to, no one is forcing me to, but I actually want to do this. The motivation is there. You need to ask yourself whether you really are ready to do this and, most importantly, if you want to. It is tough, it can be boring and it can feel as though its taking over your life at times.

I know it's cliche and often an 'excuse' but I really do believe your head has to be in the right place for losing weight. If its not, it won't work.

I have to agree with this - I wasn't in the right place last year and wasted 6 months on weekly fees when I wasn't following the plan at all. But if you are feeling at that stage where it's now or never then it's probably the right time to go back :) x

I also agree that your head needs to be ready for this.

I did numerous diets on my own, a different one every summer as I got bored and then I relapsed every winter and put the weight back on. I said I would only pay for a group as and when I needed it, and boy was I ready. No more yo-yo dieting for me.

Having tried them all (nearly) I knew I preferred SW to WW or anything else and I haven't really looked back. I was at target for a couple of years, then lapsed as I was struggling and the C left. I rejoined in January last year, got to target a year ago, have made some lovely new friends, and last night, to my amazement became the Diamond target member of the year.

Go for it when you are ready, and do get a 12 week countdown. It isn't just about the few seconds you get with the C. You should make friends and get lots of support from the other members there. Good luck

Good luck

Back