etting your head around Atkins and snacks.....help please :)

kittyface

I started Atkins today after reading the New Atkins New You Book.

I seem to have my meals sussed (only my WI next week will tell really)

I have moved over from losing 4 stone on Cambridge, and I tried to start Exane but I just cannot stomach the shakes anymore.

I love everything that is on offer on Atkins, but it is hard to get my head around that I can eat fats, limited salts and red meat, more veg and diet drinks when I was SO limited on Cambridge.

I have only had 2 eggs and 3 bacon medallions and a cup of bouillon and I feel so satisfied at the moment.....in fact full! My usual problem comes mid afternoon and snacking.

I have heard about pork scratchings, baby bell cheeses, .......will I be OK with them? or is there something healthier I can have?

Also what is the general loss in the first week? I am 13.3 (185lbs) as of this morning, and want to be 10.7 (147lbs) so have 38lbs to loose 2 stone 10lbs. If I am super good and angelic how long roughly could this take?

I know from when I did CWP it's so different for everyone, but I would like to set some obtainable targets for myself to help me along to way :D

Many thanks

K x

Hi & welcome. Have you read the sticky " So You're Thinking Of Starting Atkins" at the top of this page. I'm low carb but not strictly Atkins. I'd say you'd be OK with the things you mentioned but better to check.

Good luck. :)

Hi Kitty and welcome

It's impossible to tell how quickly you will lose what you want to lose, sorry - everyone is very different. There's usually a week or two of big losses then it settles down to 1-2lbs a week.

You really have to abandon everything you've believed about diets. here, you eat fat to burn fat - that's how it works best. Don't skimp meals, get your 20g carbs from green leafy veg and don't worry too much about calories - at least, not initially.

What you have to become is a label detective - so re your enquiry on pork scratchings, etc, it depends on the carb content. Check everything, don't assume and build the carbs into your daily allowance.

Definitely read Jim's sticky, plus the low carb shopping list.

Enjoy :)

The crispy bacon strips you get in M+S are great for snacks and absolutely YUM! I couldn't live without them. Some people don't approve of them but personally I also rate the Atkins Advantage bars as really filling snacks. They are high in protein and great if you have a sweet tooth! Some people think they can stall weight loss but personally have never found that. Good luck!

Thanks ladies.....my problem is I am a serious snacker. How many is too many babybels & mini pepparamis as they are carbs free, but have protein in. I don't mean to gorge myself on them, but I had a few yesterday :(

Back