Everyone has a fat friend... I don't want to be yours!

nettie

Gold Member
I've never had a weighloss diary before but after recently undertaking a masters level post graduate qualification at Uni I have realised the importance of journalling and reflection so I thought this would be the perfect place to start.

So... I am 27 and fat! Overly fat! I have 2 beautiful children, Tyler aged 8 and Holly aged 4 and they are my world. I have a wonderful partner called Steve and together we make up our little family... not forgetting our shihtzu Lola!
I am the manager of a Children's Centre which involves alot of sitting down at a desk or in meetings and an awful lot of thinking and brain ache... if only thinking was exercise, I'd be super thin!

When starting SW 6 days ago I weighed 244lbs.... embarrassing!
I have always been the fat friend... everyone has one and its usually me!
I am also the fat sister... the fat auntie... the fat daughter... the fat employee.... the list goes on! But now I am finally, once and for all going to show MYSELF that I can do this. Other people dont care, they love me as I am and my children have never made comments but I hate looking in the mirror, going shopping and on a night out because I am the fat one and stand out like a sore thumb!

So here I am, bearing my soul and daily ramblings with a hope in staying on track and shedding this weight... no matter how long it takes!

Please feel free to make comments and suggestions :D

Hi there Nettie! I know exactly what you mean, I hate being the fat one! I am from a social work background too, so I can definitely sympathise with the brain ache! I have lost 13.5 lbs so far, I am now 240lbs. My journey so far has been slower than most, but I am hanging in there no matter how long it takes.

Are you now going to group or are you doing it from home? Good luck, I'll be following your journal :)

Hi there!
Well done on your weight loss so far!
I am doing it from home as the nearest class (which I would be happy to attend) is at a funny time. If i start struggling I will go though as I dont want to just give up... again. What about you? I am also just doing red and green as I find that much easier to stick to.

Hey, sounds like you're in a really good mindset which I think is they key to sticking to it. Good luck for your first WI, is it tomorrow?

Good luck Hun, I love your title of your diary. It's so true to all of us.

Xx

hiya Nettie,your words really made me jump lol
at some point in my life ive been all of those things....and im yet again the fat mum/sister/auntie/niece
and now im also the fat "Nanny" :cry:
and I too cant stand it any longer and have, through a lot of soul searching,finally come to the same
conclusion as you....
that i need to do this for myself because its me and only me who is embarrassed every time she steps out the front door
its me who is the one who stays in every night and has no social life and has given up on anything that involves the possibility
of meeting guys/dating...its me who feels guilty cos she doesn't really go out with her young children/grandchildren....

Its a funny feeling knowing someone else out there has similar feelings and cliched but i feel less alone-i always thought i was the only
un-jolly jolly fat person lol

So good luck and happy losing!!!
Hope you dont mind me bookmarking your diary and coming to have a little nose every now and again lol
x

Hey, sounds like you're in a really good mindset which I think is they key to sticking to it. Good luck for your first WI, is it tomorrow?

Hi, first WI is Tuesday morning. I'm feeling really positive as I know I have been 100%, its difficult not to have a sneeky peek at the scales though. Will post the result when I get home from work on Tuesday :)

hiya Nettie,your words really made me jump lol
at some point in my life ive been all of those things....and im yet again the fat mum/sister/auntie/niece
and now im also the fat "Nanny" :cry:
and I too cant stand it any longer and have, through a lot of soul searching,finally come to the same
conclusion as you....
that i need to do this for myself because its me and only me who is embarrassed every time she steps out the front door
its me who is the one who stays in every night and has no social life and has given up on anything that involves the possibility
of meeting guys/dating...its me who feels guilty cos she doesn't really go out with her young children/grandchildren....

Its a funny feeling knowing someone else out there has similar feelings and cliched but i feel less alone-i always thought i was the only
un-jolly jolly fat person lol

So good luck and happy losing!!!
Hope you dont mind me bookmarking your diary and coming to have a little nose every now and again lol
x

I am certain it's not just me and you who feel this way so never feel alone, I'd love it if you would pop into here now and again and we can go through this journey together. I've got about 6 stone to lose so its not going to be a short journey, thats for sure.

hiya,
and thanks..always nice to be given permission to be nosy lol
and nope maybe were not the only ones but people dont often actually admit to
not wanting to go out etc cos of the way they look and i did feel very alone-until now lol

Have you followed the sw plan before?

My youngest two (i have other older/grown kids) are similar ages to yours...both girls...almost 8 and almost 5
oh and one of my grandsons is caller Tyler too!

I also work with children...nursery/foundation/infant ages
so quite a lot of running around at times and often skipping lunch which i need to do something about thats for sure lol

Yr first post tugged on a thread over my end - u are just like I was! SW works and u can soon be the skinny firend with the new wordrobe full of clothes!!

I decided to go blonde too as there wasn'treally a blonde friend in the different groups I mix with - now I stick out for a different reason!! ;-) xx

hiya,
and thanks..always nice to be given permission to be nosy lol
and nope maybe were not the only ones but people dont often actually admit to
not wanting to go out etc cos of the way they look and i did feel very alone-until now lol

Have you followed the sw plan before?

My youngest two (i have other older/grown kids) are similar ages to yours...both girls...almost 8 and almost 5
oh and one of my grandsons is caller Tyler too!

I also work with children...nursery/foundation/infant ages
so quite a lot of running around at times and often skipping lunch which i need to do something about thats for sure lol

I did SW properly about 5-6 years ago and I lost 2.5 stone in 3 months, I went to class during that time and then I got pregnant and stopped going. I have put all the weight back on and more and I am now at my heaviest at 244lbs.

I used to work with children on a more operational basis in a sure start nursery and in schools and then I went into community work at a sure start children's centre and now I am the manager. very stressful at times and i miss the hands on work with children and families but I do love the job.

Diary update...
Today has been a very successful day SW wise but not a very good day in the household... my little girl has been being sick since 4am this morning and has spent the majority of the day sleeping on and off. She has been sick approximatley 12 times and isnt even keeping water down. Just phoned NHS direct and we are doing all the right things so they are happy for her to stay at home but if she gets worse we may need to go to a&e. I've been allowed to work from home tomorrow so I can look after her. Hope she is better soon, feel so sorry for her. Glad she has slept most of the day though so she hasnt been in too much pain with her tummy ache and she has had lots of rest.

I did SW properly about 5-6 years ago and I lost 2.5 stone in 3 months, I went to class during that time and then I got pregnant and stopped going. I have put all the weight back on and more and I am now at my heaviest at 244lbs.

I used to work with children on a more operational basis in a sure start nursery and in schools and then I went into community work at a sure start children's centre and now I am the manager. very stressful at times and i miss the hands on work with children and families but I do love the job.

I joined sw in 2009 and lost 3 stone within 3 months and felt and looked great but then got it into my head that cos i looked great and felt better
i could go it alone...other things were going on in my life at that time and before i knew it the weight crept back on..life took over and
i never really got a grip of it again...
well i say that but i am actually almost a stone lighter and two dress sizes smaller than i was in 2009 but im still vastly over weight and no where near the weight i was when i left lol
and although i walk everywhere and dont sit down much through the day i feel soooo unhealthy etc

Your job sounds very rewarding despite you missing the hands on part.....but im guessing you get enough of that in your free time with your kids lol

Diary update...
Today has been a very successful day SW wise but not a very good day in the household... my little girl has been being sick since 4am this morning and has spent the majority of the day sleeping on and off. She has been sick approximatley 12 times and isnt even keeping water down. Just phoned NHS direct and we are doing all the right things so they are happy for her to stay at home but if she gets worse we may need to go to a&e. I've been allowed to work from home tomorrow so I can look after her. Hope she is better soon, feel so sorry for her. Glad she has slept most of the day though so she hasnt been in too much pain with her tummy ache and she has had lots of rest.

hey sorry to hear little one not feeling well..il stop waffling in here now lol..
hope she feels better soon x

Aww, sorry she's not feeling well - hope she's feeling better soon and you get a decent nights sleep.

I work in a nursery so similar to what you used to do :)

I joined sw in 2009 and lost 3 stone within 3 months and felt and looked great but then got it into my head that cos i looked great and felt better
i could go it alone...other things were going on in my life at that time and before i knew it the weight crept back on..life took over and
i never really got a grip of it again...
well i say that but i am actually almost a stone lighter and two dress sizes smaller than i was in 2009 but im still vastly over weight and no where near the weight i was when i left lol
and although i walk everywhere and dont sit down much through the day i feel soooo unhealthy etc

Your job sounds very rewarding despite you missing the hands on part.....but im guessing you get enough of that in your free time with your kids lol

I am very unfit and feel it! lol
I have lots of hands on time with my 2, they are very active and keep me going. Would just love to be able to run around with them x

Aww, sorry she's not feeling well - hope she's feeling better soon and you get a decent nights sleep.

I work in a nursery so similar to what you used to do :)

She's no better today, shes just lay at the side of me watching TV bless her.
Working in a nursery is so hard isnt it, I don't think I could do it now after being office based for a while. What age do you work with?

Diary Update...
Good morning everyone! Had a rubbish nights sleep and really want some white cinnamon and raisin toast for breakfast but going to resist and have some weetabix. Holly is still very ill but hasnt been sick yet today, she slept in our room last night and was up quite a lot so she will probably sleep most of the day.
I think today is going to be hard SW wise, I'm feeling the need for stodge and naughty food but luckily there isn't much of those kinds of food in the house and I can't go out due to looking after Holly. Today is going to be a challenge and I can feel a bit of grumpy mood coming on :(

nettie said:
She's no better today, shes just lay at the side of me watching TV bless her.
Working in a nursery is so hard isnt it, I don't think I could do it now after being office based for a while. What age do you work with?

It's hard yeah but I love it. I work with all the age groups as I love around between the rooms a lot :) my faves are the under 2s though :)

Hope your day turns out better than you're expecting x

Back