Exercise and VLCD

Skinny girl

Hello,

I go to the gym approx 7 classes a week, a mixture of Body Pump, Step, Attack, Grit, Combat and Boxing. I really enjoy going to the gym and it improves my overall mood etc. Now that I am on a VLCD am I still okay exercising like that. Last year when I dabbled with Lighter Life I actually ran the marathon, well I did LL for 2 weeks, then had 2 weeks off with lead up to the marathon and after and then did LL for another 2 weeks and got to goal. I feel fine when I do exercise but I do find my weight loss very slow which I find frustraiting, although I am only on my second day this time around on a VLCD.

Any words of wisdom from others that are more knowledgable and wiser than me.

Thank you in advance.

I actually digged this very deep (you can have a look at my diary when I was experimenting this).

The point is, during times of intense exercise (30+ mins of cardio), you're using energy at a much faster rate than your body can get it from your fat storage. When this happens, you still can complete the exercise because of the energy in your blood stream, but your body will have a very difficult time restoring that energy to your blood stream because it can't get it fast enough. Therefore your recovery from exercise is very slow, painful (for your muscles) and uncomfortable. Since you're not getting much energy from carbs or fats that you eat, your body will try to get it from protein in your diet (which is there to be converted to glucose for your brain!), therefore you might even experience some muscle loss. That's why exercise is not recommended on VLCDs.

What you should do is to add continuous low intensity exercise to your lifestyles. Walking is great, I'm currently walking at least 3.5 miles every single day and it feels great. That will not use up all the energy in your blood stream but makes you maximize your fat burning to keep up with the extra physical activity which helps your weight loss without any side effects.

I hope this helps.

Hi :)

I have been swimming 3-4 times a few for the last few weeks. I tend to do 30-40 lengths with takes 40 mins ish... I've had no issues yet... I guess you could add exercise back in a bit at a time and see how you feel... Everyone is different

Thank you so much for the replies. I went to my normal Grit class this morning I feel it is going to be a very hard thing to give up the exercise because I do actually enjoy going and have done for years, so will be a hard habit to break not going, maybe if I take the lower intensity option in some classes and maybe not do as many classes and see how I go.

Thank you so much for the replies. I went to my normal Grit class this morning I feel it is going to be a very hard thing to give up the exercise because I do actually enjoy going and have done for years, so will be a hard habit to break not going, maybe if I take the lower intensity option in some classes and maybe not do as many classes and see how I go.

Just don't push yourself too hard. You'll be fine.

I am confussed I thought you had to do excercise on VLCD I am doing total exante plan , I thought you ment to do 30 mins of excercise a day?????

I am also confussed about the ketosis thing now as a friend of mine is worryed about this and reckons it can kill you????????

How ever have not change my mind about plan but would like any help from you guys pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.....thanks

floridagirl2012 said:
I am confussed I thought you had to do excercise on VLCD I am doing total exante plan , I thought you ment to do 30 mins of excercise a day?????

I am also confussed about the ketosis thing now as a friend of mine is worryed about this and reckons it can kill you????????

How ever have not change my mind about plan but would like any help from you guys pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.....thanks

Different plans have different advice around exercise. My personal view is that you should listen to your body and stop exercising or adjust the plan if you feel ill.

Ketosis is a perfectly natural state for your body to be in. Whilst it is unusual in the western world today it would have been quite a normal state during the majority of evolution and in other parts of the world now. It is not natural for the human body to have unending supplies of carbs available. There is a lack of understanding in the medical community about ketosis. Personally I felt incredible healthy in my 10 months in ketosis and I still keep my carbs low(ish) now that I'm at goal.

People get mixed up with ketosis which is burning fat for energy, and ketoacidosis which is a life threatening condition for diabetics. Two completely different things Ketosis is perfectly safe

Back