Exercise bike??

trying_healthy

Hey all,

I recently bought an exercise bike to aid in my weight loss as I felt it was a good way to work out at home.

The thing is im not really sure how far I should be taking it in terms of kilometres/time/intensity.

I've started off doing around 10km per day, roughly 40-50 minutes of exercise, switching the intensity between 4 and 8 per kilometre (8 being the highest setting)

Does anyone else use exercise bikes and can they tell me about how effective they are? also how much exercise I should be doing and at what intensity?

Thanks so much in advance!

Heya, good work on getting one! I've got one and find them brilliant to use when weather is too crappy outside to walk! My battery thing isn't working so I'm not sure how many km's I go but I usually do low gears but fast intensity rather than high gears and slower. I do it like that cause I want it for cardio to burn fat, I don't want to be muscley! I'm not sure if that's right but it works for me!
Good luck :)

I use a bike at the gym and I have one at home. I do intervals on it, so I do 1 minute at level 5 then do 1 minute at level 12 keeping between 70-90 reps. And do that for 10mins. Personally i find it really boring on the bike thats why my trainer only put me on for 10 mins. I do it as part of an hours programme. Interval training is meant to be really good to keep your heart rate increasing and decreasing apparently burns more cals than a straight bike ride. Good luck!! X

Why don't you get a heart rate monitor? The ones with the watch and chest strap, they are way more accurate than the reading on the machine itself. They sound an alarm when you get in the fat burning zone and i love challenging myself to get a higher heart rate the next time i do it, and a higher calorie burn, it really makes me push myself and of course if you are eating your exercise cals you get a pretty good idea of how many extra you can have (i always knock some off as would rather eat a bit less than too much).

I love the bike. I agree with jo interval training is the best to get results but build it up dont just throw yourself in as it nackers you if done right. I do level 1 warm up for 1.30mins at steady 100rpm then turn up the level for 30 secs of high intensity at 120rpm. They a steady 1.30 and so on up to ten mins. But try a google search on intensity training for bikes mught give u a better idea.
Sarah xx

Why don't you get a heart rate monitor? The ones with the watch and chest strap, they are way more accurate than the reading on the machine itself. They sound an alarm when you get in the fat burning zone and i love challenging myself to get a higher heart rate the next time i do it, and a higher calorie burn, it really makes me push myself and of course if you are eating your exercise cals you get a pretty good idea of how many extra you can have (i always knock some off as would rather eat a bit less than too much).

I agree with heart rate monitor. I got a polar one from Argos a bit pricey at £60+\- but I use it all the time definatley a worthwhile investment!! I don't eat my cals back either because I tend to burn about 500-600 I just allow myself an extra 200 cals on a gym day to have a protein snack after the gym.

I'd love to get an exercise bike, but I have no room in the house for one. I'd put it in the garden, but I'm worried it will rust away out there!

Back