Exercise Calories - age old question...

MissHapp

Hi all

Interesting to see more interest in the board now!

On my UDs I run - and I'm starting to do distances of longer than an hour - sometimes near 90 minutes. Now MFP reckons I'm burning around 1000 cals, which is borne out by a heart rate monitor as well. So, what should I do? Eat some of them or not? My concern is, that if I don't eat some of them, I might not be creating enough of a calorie swing. But, with the legacy of diets past, it is hard to eat that much - fear that I'm sabotaging my efforts!

Thoughts?

Mmmm as a non exerciser I don't know, do you feel hungrier? What I like about Juddd is the ability to experiment and mix it up wiothout sabotaging the whole plan. If I were you I would aim for half of what you are using , so 500 cals try this for a week and see if it affects your losses, one of 3 things will happen, you will lose, sts or gain (which to be honest is unlikely) then according to that weeks results you will have your answer.
I am carrying out an experiment of my own this week, I am used to only having my milk allowance on my DDs but after slowing and stalling I read on an American site that eating your cals agin can help, so thats what I am doing this week, it hasn't had an adverse effect yet anyway. Good luck

I would eat some carbs, perhaps a good portion of fruit -especially banana shortly before running as that energy will be instantly used up. Then perhaps some protein later to help repair muscles, I wouldn't eat as much as you burn and perhaps increase portion sizes to get more calories down instead of having extra snacks, but on the whole go with what feels right and dont exhaust yourself.

Thanks guys.

My initial thoughts are not to deliberately eat back any cals for the time being BUT if there are any stalls etc, then I'll review. I *think* Johnson recommends exercise on UDs and doesn't mention eating back cals - also, when I got my calorie guide from the website, it actually gives you an option to specify how much exercise you do, so I'm presuming the exercise has been allowed for in calorie allowance. With that in mind, my calorie guidelines are 500 DD and 2600 UD!!!!! Not sure I could manage 2600! Yikes! I think my plan is to 'eat to hunger'.

Will keep you posted. Actually, perhaps should start a diary.

Sounds like a plan, def start a Diary , it helps keep me focused x, What is your weight loss like, if you are losing then I would say you are on the right track, eating to hunger sounds about right on an UP day to me x

MissHapp said:
Thanks guys.

My initial thoughts are not to deliberately eat back any cals for the time being BUT if there are any stalls etc, then I'll review. I *think* Johnson recommends exercise on UDs and doesn't mention eating back cals - also, when I got my calorie guide from the website, it actually gives you an option to specify how much exercise you do, so I'm presuming the exercise has been allowed for in calorie allowance. With that in mind, my calorie guidelines are 500 DD and 2600 UD!!!!! Not sure I could manage 2600! Yikes! I think my plan is to 'eat to hunger'.

Will keep you posted. Actually, perhaps should start a diary.

An up day is your tdee, aka what you burn in day to day life. It's a maintenance value, so the dd's do the weight loss part. You have to watch though, as the science of tdee is not 100% foolproof.

If I were you I'd eat my dd as normal and just eat with a sensible head on up days. I don't ever record up days with calories..I just write everything I eat so I have some sort of accountability without obsessing over numbers. It worries me that a lot of people seem far too fixated on the exact calories you must eat, but that's not what juddd is about :) yes you must eat your down days strictly but thats it! as long as youve got at least 3 down days, and you eat with a relatively sensible head on up days, it will all take care of itself.

The primary point of juddd is to not be on a diet on your up days. The best piece of advice I could give anyone doing juddd is.... Do not obsess on up days. The physchological element of this diet is what makes it so successful.

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

hannata said:
An up day is your tdee, aka what you burn in day to day life. It's a maintenance value, so the dd's do the weight loss part. You have to watch though, as the science of tdee is not 100% foolproof.

If I were you I'd eat my dd as normal and just eat with a sensible head on up days. I don't ever record up days with calories..I just write everything I eat so I have some sort of accountability without obsessing over numbers. It worries me that a lot of people seem far too fixated on the exact calories you must eat, but that's not what juddd is about :) yes you must eat your down days strictly but thats it! as long as youve got at least 3 down days, and you eat with a relatively sensible head on up days, it will all take care of itself.

The primary point of juddd is to not be on a diet on your up days. The best piece of advice I could give anyone doing juddd is.... Do not obsess on up days. The physchological element of this diet is what makes it so successful.

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Well said - I'm enjoying my UDs and counting my DDs and it seems to be working so far :)

Great post Han x

Back