Exercise Calories - Should I eat them?

GetSetGo

It's my personal experience and opinion but thought I would post my view on the subject as I have read quite a few posts on this.

In 2008 I lost 47lbs in weight by calorie counting. I took up running and eventually was running 50+ miles a week, absolutely loved it.

You can imagine I burnt off a lot of calories!! A ten mile run on a Sunday afternoon could quite easily burn off 1000 calories! Did I eat them? You bet I did and enjoyed every single one of them.

When I first started to lose weight my calorie allowance for 2lbs a week loss was a lot higher than 1200kcal but as we all know the more you lose the less calories you get, but the minimum of calories we should eat a day is 1200! I always ate all those extra calories or at least half of them making sure I never dropped below that magic number. Occasionally I would bank the ones I didn't eat and use them up if I was going out for a meal or something.

Why? How can this be possible? But won't I put weight on?

Exercise........The normal things you do everyday like walking the kids to school, cleaning etc are usually already included in your daily calorie allowance so aren't normally included in your daily "exercise" calories unless your daily calorie amount is set at your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) which is the calories your body uses just to function, if you were laying in bed all day doing nothing.

MFP and most calorie calculators you find online asks you for your activity level when you set it up so the daily calorie allowance it gives you already includes calories burnt doing normal everyday things, exercise is usually added separately.

You should look at it this way, imagine your body is a car! The calories you eat is the fuel you put in that car! Exercise is extra miles!

The lowest amount of calories (fuel) a day you should be consuming is 1200!!

So you put 1200 miles of fuel in your car and go on a journey that works out at 1200 miles exactly. But on the way you decide you want to stop off and visit a few different places. The only problem is those extra places you want to visit means you are going to use more fuel!

But you only have 1200 miles in your tank?? So what do you need to do?? You got it!!

Put more fuel in the tank to make sure you can complete your journey and visit those extra places!!

You wouldn't expect your car to do extra miles without fuelling up with extra fuel and your body is no different, eat your extra calories! exercise means your building muscle, getting leaner so enjoy them...........after all you earned them!!

You should aim to eat all of them if you are on the lowest calorie intake of 1200kcal a day, if you are eating for example 1500kcal a day then you can afford not to eat all of them (depending on how many calories you burn off) but should eat at least half of them, just make sure your total food intake AFTER exercise doesn't drop below 1200kcal a day minimum!!

It worked for me and thousands of people like me and it can work for you, try it, give yourself a month and see what happens.

Just make sure your exercise calories are being calculated correctly!! Do not trust the figure that the machines you use at the gym or at home give you, they are normally way off, even some of the calorie counting websites can give you a lot higher numbers.

Get yourself a heart rate monitor, although not 100% accurate they do give you a more accurate kcal burned figure than machines or websites. Most of the heart rate monitors need to have what they call background calories taken off the figure it gives you, background calories are the normal calories you burn during the period you exercised that you would have burnt off whether you exercised or not.

If you have calculated a daily calorie allowance and are sticking to it to lose weight the background calories are already included in this figure. These can be calculated easily by dividing a 24 hour period by your total calorie allowance for the day and finding out how many calories you use per minute, if you exercise for 30 minutes multiply that figure by 30 and deduct from the figure your heart rate monitor gives you. This will give you the amount of kcal you actually burnt during exercise.

If you want to get really serious you can use something like a Ki Fit which you wear all day and are pretty accurate, this tells you what you burn in a 24 hour period. You can pinpoint from the software exactly how many calories you burnt for a set period like when you exercised, again you would need to deduct the background calories.

As I said these are my views, don't want to get into a big debate about the subject just hope it helps someone to achieve their goals!

Last edited:
I too run and at the minute am burning up to 700calories just on one run (going to get alot more as i'm upping mileage in prep for my half marathon) and I've no doubt i'll be burning upwards of 1,300 on a wednesday on my long run in a few weeks time.

I don't want to gorge on junk for the sake of it so just wondered what kind of foods you eat to replace the calories you burn?

I don't run now due to a back injury :( envious of you being able to run lol I really miss it, my running days are well and truly over though.

But back then when I ran I would eat whatever I wanted, usually a piece of cheesecake :) lol

When I trained for the London Marathon I went for better choices which for me were sometimes a protein/carb bar 4:1 ratio, they are pretty high calorie but with all the running calories it wasn't a problem and great for an after training snack. Sometimes nuts which are high in protein and good fats. Maybe an omelette, pasta, rice those sorts of things.

Thanks for that post it is very usefull, and I expect will help many here.
I suppose if you want to increase your calorie intake with out having to eat super amounts or junk it would be things that are the same but with a higher calorific value?
Ie full fat milk instead of skimmed. Normal cheese instead of half fat, nuts etc are good for you and have a high cal value, it's difficult to think of things without thinking of " junk" really isn't it.

mcv said:
Thanks for that post it is very usefull, and I expect will help many here.
I suppose if you want to increase your calorie intake with out having to eat super amounts or junk it would be things that are the same but with a higher calorific value?
Ie full fat milk instead of skimmed. Normal cheese instead of half fat, nuts etc are good for you and have a high cal value, it's difficult to think of things without thinking of " junk" really isn't it.

Your very welcome, I hope it helps a few people, I see so many posts, not just on here but other places too that ask this question over and over again. So many different answers to the same question, but I know from experience that this does work!

It is hard to find healthy choices for higher calories but it can be done :)

Good luck with your journey!

Thanks brilliant post! My calories are about to drop again to around 1270 I think it will be & the days I do a fair bit of exercise I'm starving but have never eaten them as I thought of it as better not to as that meant I was losing more weight but I'm so hungry the next day! Maybe I should try eating some of them even if it's just a banana....

Been and bought some almonds & flapjacks today to bump up the cals after my long runs :)

great post.

Hey summergurl, i'm also doing the bristol Half, it did last year also. Maybe see you there lol

Oh cool :) what's it like?
I've heard pretty flat but there's a hill towards the end?x

it's nice and flat until about mile 11, then you have to run up 2 really short slopes but after 11 miles I did find them very hard. The shortest one is steeper and i really struggled there but then it had a slight downhill straight after so I managed to recover quickly, then on the 2nd slope it isn't as steep but it's slightly longer and again there was a downhill after.

I was just focusing on the fact that there was only 2 miles to go and pushed through it. Those 2 miles were my slowest and took me 30 mins! I was doing 10 min miles all the way until then. grrr.

It was my first half and I nearly cried when I finished. :)

Aw brilliant!! :) What time did you get?
My first half was plymouth last year. I'm doing it again this year and then bristol in september. I'm quite excited about Bristol.
I want a PB in plymouth and then I want to PB again in Bristol so hopefully I can do it! LOL xx

Thanks for writing this thread, went to the gym and burned about 500 calories and have enjoyed a non-restricted dinner, still 200 calories under budget! Going to have a bag of pom bears and save the other 100 for the weekend :)

Can't wait till I can run/exercise more. YUMMY FOOD AHOY. ((in future i might go for something a bit healthier than chips though :p ))

KatiePillow said:
Thanks for writing this thread, went to the gym and burned about 500 calories and have enjoyed a non-restricted dinner, still 200 calories under budget! Going to have a bag of pom bears and save the other 100 for the weekend :)

Can't wait till I can run/exercise more. YUMMY FOOD AHOY. ((in future i might go for something a bit healthier than chips though :p ))

Good for you! You earned them!

Mmm pom bears :)

Back