Exercise - chore or enjoyable activity?

Discussion in 'Fitness Health and Exercise' started by Beth_1308, 11 April 2011 Social URL.

1. Beth_1308

Beth_1308 Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st0lb
    Current Weight:
    15st1.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st12.5lb(5.58%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World - EE
    Hi everyone, I am fairly new to the forum but I wanted to know what people actually thought about exercise? So many see it as a chore and something that should be avoided at all costs, what are the reasons behind this and can you truly have a good weight loss without exercise?

Looking forward to your replies.

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. wednesday

wednesday Full Member

Start Weight:
    12st11lb
    Current Weight:
    11st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st13lb(7.26%)
    Diet:
    weight watchers
    i HATED exercise a couple of weeks ago but once my body got over the initial shock and i stopped aching i have begun enjoy it and look forward to it now

4. gina_b

gina_b Les Mills Fitness Freak

Start Weight:
    10st0lb
    Current Weight:
    8st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st3lb
    Lost(%):
    1st1lb(10.71%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    herbalife
    enjoyable - i found exerise that i love, with amazing inspiriing instructors and great music. new routines every 12 weeks helps too!

but theres some exerise i get so bored in that its a chore... thats regular aerobics. i hate it, its not high impact enough, hate the music and the fact we get shouted at for having a drink of water (come on... if waters needed let us bloody have it) that class just dosent interest me at all

5. big-girl

big-girl Full Member

Start Weight:
    23st7lb
    Current Weight:
    23st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    15st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st5lb(1.52%)
    Diet:
    calorie counting & healthy eating
    I HATE exercise, but I do think it's a necessary thing to do in order to help with the weightloss.......before when I lost a lot of weight I went to the gym 3/4 times a week and even did a 5k run, but I can honestly say I didn't enjoy one bit of it, it was just something I had to do.......I've never experienced the "rush" that some people say you get from it, the on treason I did it was because I allowed myself an hour in the spa after my workout, that was my reward for doing it :)

6. glasgow_celtic

glasgow_celtic Member

I love exercise, but I prefer to do it alone with my ipod for company. It allows to me to clear my head and at the end of it I feel stronger and more empowered like I'm ready to take on the world, I would rather exercise on a friday night that go partying! Sad I know....

7. LornaGrace

LornaGrace Full Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    I dont think exercise is essential for weightloss, i know tons of people on slimming world that have lost the weight with ease and not done any exercise apart from the weekly shop. although of course exercise if the only way to improve your fitness.
    Im on slimming world atm, and now i exercise again my weight loss has slowed down, but my clothes feel better. so it might not necessarily show on the scales but on the tape measure insted!

At the moment i really enjoy a long run to clear my head. but other times i just cant bare the thought of getting off the sofa! x

8. leighleigh

leighleigh Full Member

Start Weight:
    21st0.5lb
    Current Weight:
    22st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st7lb
    Lost(%):
    -1st4.5lb(-6.28%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I agree with Healthyeater. Excercise is one of those things which is different for everybody. I went to the gym 5 days a week for six weeks, and hated every minute of the hour and a half I was there for. To me, a gym is really clinical. But I think that's because I'm a water baby: I'm at my happiest swimming whether that's lengths in a pool or open water swimming, give me some water and I'm happy! I like strength training because of the visible results I see (though its brutal whilst actually doing it). I also like sports like badminton and squash as I play those with my friends.

9. willsucceed

willsucceed Full Member

Start Weight:
    17st8lb
    Current Weight:
    17st0.4lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7.6lb(3.09%)
    Diet:
    eating less and exercising more
    i think it all depends on the exercise you do. i have joined the gym before and didnt really like it but this time i am walking and i love it. i feel great afterwards and one day when i wasnt able to go for a walk i actualy cried! sad i know but thats how in to it i am.also it has definately helped me loose more weight than if i wasnt exercising at all.

10. Aline

Aline Gold Member

Current Weight:
    7st9lb
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    maintenance: healthy eating & exercise
    It's enjoyable once you start feeling healthier and more energetic than usual;)

11. HeatherEade

HeatherEade Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st13lb
    Current Weight:
    14st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    0st8lb(3.83%)
    i hated it the first week i started. i have NEVER enjoyed it. then i started looking forward to it and found myself at least doing a half an hour on the wii fit 7 days a week! i was a bit addicted... in the last week or so im not feeling very challenged by it so i stepped it up to Jenny Macarthys Yourshape and that almost kills me! but i find i get a rush from it, i enjoy seeing my times and scores improve, and i look forward to the results! im stronger, sleep better and have improved coordination ALREADY so i def enjoy that :)

12. Rosie_Lee

Rosie_Lee Silver Member

Start Weight:
    14st0.5lb
    Current Weight:
    9st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st10lb
    Lost(%):
    4st7.5lb(32.32%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Weightwatchers propoints
    it depends on what exercise i do, i love walking and doing aqua aerobics.
    when i'm up to it i love the wii, especially just dance 2.

not been well enough to go to the gym but i suppose i will go back , it's not my favourite activity, used to love running but not allowed to do that now.

13. mojomcl

mojomcl Silver Member

Start Weight:
    20st5lb
    Current Weight:
    20st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    I do quite alot of exercise.
    I walk heaps (5 or more miles most days, but also very long distance stints - 24 miles is the furthest I've done in a oner), but I also go to the gym, use the wii, zumba classes, cycling, aerobics classes, swim, water aerobics and have finally started step classes.
    I think it often feels like a chore to motivate my ass to go do these things, but once I'm there, I love them all, and I love the feel good factor that comes with them. So for me the trick is timing....Ideally going direct from work to classes works for me. I've stared using the wee gym that's local to me, and arranging to meet pals there for a workout means I stick to it. Also means I can cycle there and back :p

14. judimac

judimac Mad old Bat with Attitude

Start Weight:
    14st5lb
    Diet:
    WW
    I agree, I've always been the "lie down in a darkened room" type, hated games at school, sweat? no way! But later in life I seem to have overcome it. Like today, I knew that it was a few days since I'd done my Wii Zumba, and I should get on and do it, didn't feel like it, but did it (and it is getting easier!) Sweating doesn't bother me any more it means my heart rates up and there will be an afterburn. In fact after the zumba I did another 32 mins of wii cycling. Very low impact, but still kept me sweating.
    I have lost weight successfully in the past without exercising, but exercising totally changes your shape, for the better!

15. Zest for Life

Zest for Life Gold Member

Start Weight:
    16st8lb
    Current Weight:
    16st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    15st3lb
    Lost(%):
    0st4lb(1.72%)
    Diet:
    Zest for life of course ;-)
    Chore, but got to be done .

16. wofie89

wofie89 Member

Start Weight:
    11st11lb
    Current Weight:
    11st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11lb(6.67%)
    Diet:
    old WW
    Hey at first I really struggled with exercise it definately felt like a chore and in the end I would give up and not try again but after I started going to a zumba class I found that it can be really fun and didn't feel like exercise at all. After going to zumba classes for a couple of weeks I started to get the feel good feeling afterwards and now I think I'm a little addicted lol :) even started the c25K plan.

But I agree with the posts above think its about finding the right exercise that suits you :D

17. gina_b

gina_b Les Mills Fitness Freak

Start Weight:
    10st0lb
    Current Weight:
    8st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st3lb
    Lost(%):
    1st1lb(10.71%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    herbalife
    out of every exercise class ive tried, zumba is the one im really not suited for! same with yoga or pilates, i hate them :( but id like to try bikram yoga

18. Avatar

MiniMins.com Advert

19. wofie89

wofie89 Member

Start Weight:
    11st11lb
    Current Weight:
    11st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11lb(6.67%)
    Diet:
    old WW
    Yeah I suppose it goes back to what exercise suits you best, I tried bikram yoga last year, went to a few classes but couldn't handle the humidity it just made me feel really sick haha but I was definately sweating buckets after the class! :)

20. Lucky7

Lucky7 Gold Member

Start Weight:
    10st4lb
    Current Weight:
    10st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I really look forward to my daily exercise hit, and get very grumpy if something stops it happening. This is a problem if we go away for a weekend - my OH can't understand it.

I'm a member of a gym that includes all classes as part of the membership and have tried lots. I used to love Zumba, but have gone off it recently. My fave at the moment is Body Combat, but also love Body Pump and Aerobics.

My worst class is Step - have tried it a few times now but am bloody rubbish at it. I always come home feeling really useless and despondent.

21. bevsy

bevsy Full Member

Start Weight:
    18st8lb
    Current Weight:
    13st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st2lb
    Lost(%):
    4st12lb(26.15%)
    Diet:
    calorie count
    I love swimming so this time i have decided to go swimming once a week and i am due to start zumba on monday but the gym is just not for me.

My job is quite good as i am on my feet for 5 hours a day.

22. hannata

hannata I can haz cake?

Start Weight:
    280lb
    Current Weight:
    249.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    208.5lb
    Lost(%):
    31lb(11.07%)
    Diet:
    ADF
    When I'm in a good mood and not bugged with too much arthritis, exercise is great. I didn't like it in the beginning because my ability was zero. couldn't even jog for 30 seconds.

Now I'm so much stronger, and I'm getting muscles where they never existed before, I love it.

I have to say I've got my personal trainer to thank for it :p

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.