Exercise slowing weight loss?!

lovehirano

Hi all,

I was a member of SW last year and in my 1st month lost...

Wk 1 - 15
Wk 2 -7
Wk 3 - 4
Wk 4 - 4

I have A LOT to lose but the losses were just through changing food.

I ended up losing 4 stone but left SW and put it all back on (a story for another day!!) but rejoined 4 weeks ago.

The only difference this time is I joined a gym - thinking It would boost weight loss. This time I lost 11 in week 1 then 2 every week since :(

I know a loss is a loss etc but it's disheartening when I have been to the gym 4 times a week, 100% food optimising and only lose 2 lbs in my first few weeks (having 15 stone to lose!)

So to get to the point of my essay... Can exercise slow down weight loss??

I seem to be experiencing something similar. My losses have been 8, 4.5, 2.5 and 2. The last 2 weeks I have been using my treadmill in the hope to get a bit more off but if anything its making it harder and I havd no idea why?

it didnt slow down much for me but i know theres a few people in my class that have almost came to halt when introduced exercise, they were used to having a 2-3lb loss most weeks and now they are lucky to get 0.5lb its strange you would think it would boost it for you xx

Ladies, I've done a bit of research into this - exercise can slow / stall *weight* loss, especially when you're new to it, due to water assisting the muscle repair (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness aka DOMS - google it). If you are feeling the effects of your exercise the next day, don't always expect a major change on the scales HOWEVER whilst it may affect *weight* loss it will increase *fat* loss which is what we all want right? Your body will eventually even out once it's used to regular exercise so don't let it put you off, it will significantly inprove your results and also give you that toned look so keep it up!! xxx

I've just started doing an hour at the gym, 4 times a week. Have lost 5 stone 5lb before starting any exercise so looking to tone & maybe shift another couple of pounds. Don't mind how slow it goes as long as I can see results myself.

I've just started doing an hour at the gym, 4 times a week. Have lost 5 stone 5lb before starting any exercise so looking to tone & maybe shift another couple of pounds. Don't mind how slow it goes as long as I can see results myself.
WOW your loss is fantastic well done :)

Thank you for the replies!

I want to continue with the gym as so happy I am actually going!! But hate that it is slowing weight loss! I have so much to lose that is seems far enough away already without slowing down!!

Argh dilemma!

If you google you will find an interesting article in the guardian about exercising triggering 'compensatory calories'. We up our intake when we've exercised- almost unconsciously- because we forget that we are animals that are designed to run and move all the time.

The article suggests that walking doesn't trigger this.

In my journey I have learnt to separate my weight loss goals from my fitness goals. If you think about it, your heart, lungs and muscles are gaining in strength and that can only be a good thing! I also find exercise to be an antidepressant, and when my moods are even my eating follows.

Slow weight losses are permanent weight loses. You are doing amazingly well x x x

Hiya :) I know how you feel I have as well got about 15 stone to loose however I have accepted this time that it will take as long as it takes. I have set myself stupid targets b4 like to do it in a year and year on year I have failed and gained more. Realistically we can only expect around a 2lb loss a week which by the way is almost 8 stone in a year :) i just keep going for the next stone and I havent set a goal weight yet!! Hope that makes sense. I would aim for 1-2lbs a week and the weeks you get more see them as a bonus xxx

Back