Exercise

Smokes

HI, I was just wondering how many of you out there exercise regularly?
And if you do what do you do and how much? Also when do you do it?
I kinda want to know peoples timetables - ie. what hours do you work, are you at college, looking after family so when do you fit exercise in.
I keep thinking I want to exercise to help weight loss and also cos I want to be fit as well as loosing weight but I'm just not sure when to fit it in!
At the moment I'm generally working 8am-6pm. I'm getting up at 6.30am and not sure if I wanna get up earlier and if I did I don't think I'd be motivated to exercise. But at same time by the time I've got home and got dinner I sit down to check my emails and it feels late, I feel tired and I don't want to move!
So how much exercise do you do and when do you fit it in?!

Just started curves, 3 times per week for 30 minutes, walking there and back 1 hour altogether. I have so many exercise dvds at home but am a divil for not using them. I walk a fair bit though on my days off. I want to be fit and healthy longterm so am starting light but have found the benefits of exercise outweigh the irritation of it. I'd not get up before half six if I were you, have your sleep. How about exercise on your days off and the evening before your day off? You could also meet up with a pal one work evening for a quick dinner and local aerobics class.

It is worth it, believe me, it's so worth it (and I'm a proper lazyarse). Find something that interests you, tennis, footie, dance class, weights, walk in the park. I work 8am-9pm 3-4 days plus 6-9am on the other 2 days, if you want to fit it in you will, just depends how important it is for you at this point in time.

I tend to exercise with a buddy so I can't possibly skip out! Some days it's a complete chore but when I get there I enjoy it.
I arrive at work at 7:30 and arrive home at about 5pm, well not atm, thank god for the school hols, and I have the following routine... Sun 4pm- gym, Mon 8pm swimming, Tues 6pm gym, Wed (after WI) 8pm swim, fri 7pm gym.

I don't have kids though... but I find it easiest on Tuesday cause I don't get too settled! :) Hope that helps.

My exercise regime is so simple.

I followed the advice of a post I read here on making ones housework into exercise. I love it. I also do step exercises using a step into the house and I swim. I do my step and swimming exercise at different times each day to fit in with my varied life, but I do do them.

Today I am going to start dance exercise as well, which will just consist of dancing around the house to my favourite upbeat dance music.

My theory on my exercise is any movement is better than none.

Generally I find early morning best, but as I said fit it in when I can.

Your work timetable makes it quite hard for you as you also have travelling time to add on. How about lunch time exercise. A visit to the pool to swim or a lunchtime visit to a gym.

I understand totally how tired you feel when you get home and do not want to face streneous exercise.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions!
I think I'm just lazy and making excuses!!
I just wanted to see where people fitted it in!
Faustina - I did ask my OH about playing tennis, there's a sports centre not too far away and you can hire the courts for a hour for about £5. I said we could go to boot sale and try and find some cheap racquets. I wouldn't be any good but at least moving for a hour! He wasn't keen - said he doesn't like tennis! I won't go swimming at the moment as I hate my size and feel too self-conscious.
I know once I get into it I will probably feel better its just getting motivated to do it!
To start with it'd probably just be a 30min walk round the block but at least I'd be doing something!
In the evenings do you think it'd be better to go for a walk as soon as I get home before I cook tea so I don't sit down and get settled for the night or go after my dinner?

Pluses and minus's with this one............

before dinner, you build up an appetite.

after dinner, you are too knackered lol !!!

Obviously after dinner is best and I think once you have done it once or twice it will be become a habit.

Hi Smokes. I've been trying to fit exercise in too.

I am out of the house 7am - 6pm Mon-Fri. I get up about 6ish so really don't want to get up any earlier either ! And I tend to find I'm in wind-down mode when I get home.

I've started making myself walk into town lunchtimes - so I'm on my feet for a good hour. Then on a Saturday I'll probably walk about 3 miles to, from and around town to do my shopping.

I'm going to try and go on my Wii Fit when I get home from work - if only for an hour. I think it's about getting into the routine, and once you do, it's easier to keep at it.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do x

Thanks for the suggestions!
I think I'm just lazy and making excuses!!
I just wanted to see where people fitted it in!
Faustina - I did ask my OH about playing tennis, there's a sports centre not too far away and you can hire the courts for a hour for about £5. I said we could go to boot sale and try and find some cheap racquets. I wouldn't be any good but at least moving for a hour! He wasn't keen - said he doesn't like tennis! I won't go swimming at the moment as I hate my size and feel too self-conscious.
I know once I get into it I will probably feel better its just getting motivated to do it!
To start with it'd probably just be a 30min walk round the block but at least I'd be doing something!
In the evenings do you think it'd be better to go for a walk as soon as I get home before I cook tea so I don't sit down and get settled for the night or go after my dinner?

I usually go in, grab the dog and take her out because I know myself too well, if I take my coat off and sit down I'm not getting back up again. :eek: I think you have to be realistic and work around your lifestyle too.

Are there any colleagues who'd join you at tennis, or even go and see if there are other ladies looking to pair up? I'd love to go swimming too but not with this arse, I'd be mortified. :eek: I think it's important for me, whatever I do to get out of the house because it does me good and I feel better for it. Is there a local parish hall ye could use and set up aerobics class or through the school or check the local paper for classes?

Even a daily walk will set you up for the night and provide a good break between work and home life, it's your time and that's vital for your mental and physical health. Whatever you feel drawn to, go for it, it's building a new life for yourself and that's part of the building blocks. Best of luck!!! :D

Smokes - can you make your exercise part of your journey to & from work? i.e. walk to/from work or get off the train/bus a stop or two earlier or park further away?

My motto is "you never regret exercise" Even when (or especially when) you're not looking forwards to it, you feel so saintly afterwards :D

I do bootcamp 3 times a week at the minute. Started about 3 weeks ago and I absolutely love it. I hadn't exercised for AGES before starting this and really needed a kick up the bum - and this definitely did that!

It's 6.30am Tue and Thur and 8.00am on a Sat. I bought a 4 week course as I go on holiday mid-August but I will be buying some more once I get back. I can tell the difference even after just 3 weeks - I can run for longer and my body shape has started to change.

It's really difficult to get going when you haven't done exercise for a while but the feeling you get from it is so worth it :D

Leapfrog - I did start cycling into work but I think I'm so unfit that I was just knackering myself out! I couldn't manage it every day but did it a couple of times a week but found myself arriving at work all red, hot and sweaty and felt really conscious. So after a couple of weeks I went back to riding my motorbike! Maybe I should've given it a bit longer?
I can't exercise in my lunch break as only get 1/2hour - enough time to go to canteen and have something to eat!
I wanted to start off with a daily walk as I feel really unfit so am reluctant to go to a gym/exercise class as don't want to be the fat one red faced and out of puff at the back within a few minutes! I thought at least if I start walking, even if it's just for 30mins, but then start pushing myself to walk quicker and further, and maybe even a jog I could increase my fitness then maybe try a class!
I have got a Wii fit and when I was on my college block for 4 weeks used it most days, but now I'm back on placement I don't seem to. Again I feel a bit self-conscious doing it in front of OH and I'm sure he'd prefer to watch tv not see me puffing away!
Think this week I may try going for a walk round the block every day. Have googled it and it's about a mile. Als have another route worked out that is 2 miles. Not far but its a start.

Walking is a great idea Smokes, I just count the steps, 2000 is a mile and we're supposed to do 5 a day apparently!!! :eek: I aimed for 30 this month, going for 45 next month. It definitely takes time to build up and if you slowly increase your steps it'll become second nature to you and as part of your day as brushing your teeth. :D

I know what you mean about arriving redfaced at your destination, and of course if you were skinny you'd be praised but a fat lass doing it is :eek:. I hate too people trying to get me to run a marathon for charity etc, just feel like telling them to bugger off they've no idea how much I'm trying and it's nobody's business. Start with a nice walk and you'll know yourself when to ramp it up, go somewhere nice and it'll be a positive part of your day, a luxury rather than a chore. Good luck!!! :p

I exercise in lots of different ways at all times of the day

Mon, Wed, Fri I do strength training at the gym before work (6.30am)
Tuesday night me and OH play badminton after work but before evening meal (leave casserole in oven and is perfectly cooked for when we get back)
Thursday night I do cardio at the gym after evening meal- just make it light and have a snack when I get back
Sunday morning I do a cardio workout first thing (to get over hangover- it really does work)

I exercise a lot, so realise this looks daunting, but it doesn't have to be a hard slog (it just so happens that I love it having discovered exercise at the age of 35)

I also now make sure I walk to the supermarket and do the housework quickly while listening to music. You could also try more fun activities with kids- playing frisbee in the park, a walk and picnic in the counrtyside, a kick about at football in the garden- it all adds up!

The one key element, whatever level of fitness you decide to take up, is make time for it in your day/week. If you try and just fit it in you will always find an excuse not to do it- plan in set times and stick to them

Good luck
xxxx

I'm planning on having a go on the Wii Fit. My family are away, so I'm staying at their house over the next fortnight, and they left me the Wii to play with! I'm not sure how useful the Wii is, but anything is better than nothing, eh?

xxx

Back