Exit Fatty!

Spek79

Hi everyone :) I was so happy to find this thread. I'm embarking on my zillionth attempt to lose weight, and thought this time it would be good to keep a record of how it's all going.. pictures, weigh-in updates, diaries etc.

My story is pretty much the same as everybody elses. Chronic dieter from the age of 15 or so.. feel like I've spent my entire life either losing or gaining weight - and pretty much solidly gaining for the past 2 years. So here I am at 33 (just turned) and roughly 205 lbs :mad:

Tried most diets, WW loads of times, Atkins, blah blah blah. Tried SW before Christmas and really enjoyed it so going to give it a proper go now. Just going it alone this time, can't afford classes at the moment - financially or time wise. Hoping minimins will help!

So plan of action/goals etc:

• Follow slimming world diet.
  • Look to other minimins for advice and inspiration.
  • Keep up with my couch to 5k phone app.
  • Increase zumba attendance to levels more acceptable than roughly once a fortnight.
  • Get back on the wagon immediately, if I fall off.
  • Stop making excuses and pretending I'm OK with the size I am.
  • Admit that no longer am I a size 14, or even 16, but actually 18 (and that this doesn't change when I cut the labels out of my dresses)
  • Fit in to my lovely size 14 dresses again.. eventually.
  • Lose 50ishlbs, feel happier, healthier and more attractive.
  • Become the sociable and confident girl that I'm really starting to miss.. being skint is not the only reason I avoid going out!

good luck :) Sure you can get back in those 14's :)

So... need to get myself some bathroom scales. Have some horribly innacurate WW electronic scales that cost a bomb. Going to chuck those and opt for some cheapy old fashioned scales and make do with those. Can't be worse than the current ones. Think as well as scales I'll go by measuresments (once a month maybe?) and pictures.. just need to figure out how to get pics from my phone to here.. x

So... need to get myself some bathroom scales. Have some horribly innacurate WW electronic scales that cost a bomb. Going to chuck those and opt for some cheapy old fashioned scales and make do with those. Can't be worse than the current ones. Think as well as scales I'll go by measuresments (once a month maybe?) and pictures.. just need to figure out how to get pics from my phone to here.. x

Hi! :wavey:
I have had these ones: LINK
for a number of years and have had no problems at all. :)

Hmm, thanks Laura, I'll have a look at those. I better get some quickly, have started my new regime already, and don't even know for sure what I weigh..

I'd originally planned to go to Boots to use their machines once a week, but they're so damn noisy when you step on them, I found it quite embarassing!

This weekend was OK diet-wise, apart from having two chinese meals.. uh oh. Chicken chow-mein on Friday night, and kung po chicken and boiled rice on Saturday. This is unusual, and was only because we were painting the living room, and have no hot water at the mo' (boiler broken!) but still.. not exactly a diet-win. Also won't manage a jog until Thursday night. Cleaning up post-painting mess and rearranging furniture tonight, and dress making class tomorrow. Zumba at lunchtime on Wed but definitely behind jogging target.

Food, what else?

So about food, I'm doing extra easy plan.. It looks a wee bit like it's too good to be true - but I'll give it a proper go. I love the fact that the free foods don't have to be measured and weighed etc. The 3rd of superfree food it a nice guage and a smart way of essentially ensuring portion control on the other, more calorific, food. I feel (hope) that this could work for me long term, because it's not too restrictive, and doesn't involve a lot of fiddling about. I'd like to think that the rules of EE will eventually penetrate my brain, and will be ones that I follow subconsciously - eventually, maybe, not even having to record syns etc. Just knowing what should be had in moderation. Moderation - there's a word I know nothing of..

I also like the way that bread is allowed but restricted. Bread is a major down-fall for me - covered in butter and stuff down my cake hole (bread-hole!) before I've had time to think about what I'm doing. I think there are psychological benefits to knowing it's not denied - takes away the panic factor..

Today's menu:

Breakfast:
Activia 0% Raspberry yoghurt, kiwi fruit
Lunch: Lentil soup, apple, coffee with splash milk
Dinner: Chicken breast, carrots, peas, brocolli, potatoes

Snack - either two slices wholemeal from a 400g loaf, laughing cow light, slices tomato and extra lean ham (HEs for break and cheese) or two Alpen light bars.

Fat free yoghurt, if I'm still hungry..

Quite happy, as I managed to stick to my food plan yesterday.. Have also ordered some new bathroom scales so that I can get my true stats down, for a proper starting point. Will also take my measurements - maybe on a monthly basis.

Menu for today:

Breakfast - CoU strawberry yoghurt - kiwi or apple, coffee with splash of milk
Lunch - feta cheese (HE) salad with salad leaves, cucumber, tomoto, red onion and fat free vinigarette (sp?!) dressing.
Snack - Activia fat free yoghurt and apply/kiwi
Dinner - Beans on wholemeal (HE) toast with tomato.

Dinner won't be until about 9:30, as I've got dressmaking class straight after work, so might need a bigger snack later in the afternoon. If so I've got some mugshots 1% fat in my drawer..

Another thing that I'm doing is that I'm using MyFitnessPal iphone app to record what I'm eating, and exercise. Not because I'm calorie counting as such, but I'm kind of interested to see what calories I'm consuming, when following SW..

welcome Spek - it's so funny how many of our stories are the same. I often read people's diaries and nod in agreement!!

You will get there with the help of this site - it's fab

Thanks Rockchick! I agree, it's comforting to know other folk have similar experiences. New to this site but finding it a great source of inspiration so far.. The success stories and before and after pics are amazing. People who've never had a weight problem just don't realise what a big commitment it is to lchange your life, and lose weight. It's a massive challenge and I'm loving reading about it paying off for so many miniminers!

Food for today

Today was mental in work, so food has been low priority..

B - Low fat CoU yoghurt from marks - delicious but just realised they're not free as they're not fat free. Oops.
Lunch - 1% fat mug shot and an apply.
Snack - another yoghurt

Out for a few hours after work so not sure if dinner will be when out, or something when I get home.

This weekend will be tough, plan-wise. Gig on Friday night (although driving lesson Sat AM so low, or no, booze. The out for first time in ages on Saturday (definitely booze) then a lunch out on Sunday. Will try and pick somewhere with SW-friendly choices..

Apparently my scales have been dispatched! Hope they arrive soon..

Pizza confessions

So I went to see Frankie Boyle doing a warm up gig last night, straight from work. Had a glass of wine during it ... then a pizza, some fries and a pint of beer afterwords. Not the most genius thing I've ever done.. but it's done nonetheless!

At least I got back on plan this morning. One of the fatal things I tend to do is go crazy when I slip off the wagon, rather than drawing a line and starting again.

Still waiting on the scales to arrive, to get my stats up. Scared to know what I weight right now. :break_diet:

Foodness

Today:

B - CoU low fat yoghurt + apple
L - Split pea and lentil soup
D - to be decided.

Dinner last night ended up being veggie chilli with basmati rice. Had a few seafood sticks before dinner too, as I was pretty hungry by the time I got home.

Today's plan is a bit vague as I'm off out straight after work again.

B - Cranberry and raspberry muller light, alpen light bar (HE) and clementine.
L - Is likely to be soup from the Uni cafe, or maybe a mug shot.
D - will be eating out, will try to make a decent choice.

Was going to have a couple of pints but apparently a pint of lager is about 10 syns - is this right?? If so I'll either have a couple of gins or stick to diet coke. Driving lesson in the morning, so the latter will be a more sensible approach.

Beer is going to be tough to deal with as I really like craft beer, ale etc, and we go to a lot of beer festivals and that sort of thing. I also really like red wine!! We're going to a brewery thing next Thursday for bfs birthday so I'll definitely be drinking beer then. Will just have to restrict it as much as I can, and see how I get on.

I also really need to step up my exercise. Haven't managed anything this week other than walking home one night (few miles) and a wee walk with my friends' dog last night. This week's been exceptionally busy though, and next week will be the same. Don't usually do much mid-week so should be easier in a couple of weeks time when there's less on.

My new scales arrived today.. gave myself a fright by not realised they were sitting at 1stone, rather than 0. So when I weighed myself Iit looked as though I was over a stone heavier than I thought I'd been. Total panic before a stepped off and realised they weren't set correctly. So I'm about 14 st 6lbs. I say 'about' because the dial is tiny and I can't see it properly. This might be a bit of a problem as I might not notice small amounts coming off (or going on!!) but maybe it'll stop me obsessing over the tiny amounts and let me see the bigger picture. They'll have to do anyway, as I'm not buying new ones (trying to reduce my debt, as well as the size of my *rse!).

I'll be much happier when I get to 13 stone. This was my previous all-time high, and I managed to deal with it back then, so it'll feel more achievable when I get to that weight. Right now it feels like a bit of an insurmountable task. I'll just tried to take it half stone at a time. I know I need to stick with this in the long term, to get to where I want to be. Just wish I had a fast forward button.. or maybe I really need a rewind? This can all get a bit depressing, when you over-think it.

Weekend wasn't entirely diet-friendly.. chinese and wine on Saturday night, pizza on Sunday. Oh well. Back on the wagon again.

B - Muller light yoghurt
L - Tomato and lentil soup, apple
D - Homemade veggie chilli with boiled rice

Snacks - banana, free yoghurt, and either 2x slice 400g wholemeal with laughing cow light, or 2 alpen light bars.

C25K session tonight too!

Not sure if I'll lose any weight this week, given that I've not followed plan at the weekend, and will be eating out and drinking beer on Thursday. Do feel that my clothes are slightly more comfortable though.

Started week 2 of my couchto5k last night. Nearly didn't bother but forced myself, and ended up quite enjoying it. Paid a bit more attention to stretching my calf muscles and think it paid off as my shins weren't nearly as sore as last time. Hats off to folk who can run long distances - even a 5K distance to me seems a long way off..

Had my veggie chilli as planned last night, and it was delicious. I LOVE the fact that you don't have to weigh much when on SW. There was something so depressing about weighing out tiny amounts of pasta and rice when following other plans like WW. It never seemed natural, and definitely not like something I could be *rsed doing for the rest of my life. Had started coming to that depressing conclusion though.. until I found SW!

Then had two Alpen light bars with my cup of tea at night!

Today's plan is:

B - CoU yoghurt (which I found out ARE free afterall - hooray!) Apple
L - Feta (HE) salad with fat free dressing.
Late afternoon - mug shot and an apple.
Dinner (late, after dressmaking class) - ham and mushroom omlette/ scrambled egg, plus two wholemeal slices 400g loaf bread.

Possible another yohurt in there somewhere too..

Hope all you ladies out there are doing well this week!

Today's diet plan:

B - coffee, slice of ham
L - chunky veg soup, mullerlight, apple, coffee
D - Syn free paella type thing with a salad
Snacks - HE toasted bread sandwich with HE laughing cow light and tomato - OR one or two Alpen light bars.

Exercise - lunchtime zumba!

Well! I weighed myself on Friday and have lost a few lbs! Gone from 14 stone 6ish to 14 stone 1ish (as I said before, scale dial is very small, and I also had fewer clothes on for second weight-in). Not too worried about the exact amount - just glad it's gone in the right direction. Needless to say I was very happy..

Now, normal people who take that as inspiration, but oooh no, not me. I went and had a weekend of silly eating. Not like completely over the top binge-a-rama eating - but not lose weight eating..

Thursday I drank beet and I ate a burger and fries. I knew I was going to do this so it was OK, I planned to compensate for it. But then on Friday I was a bit hungover so I had:

B - panani with bacon, brie and salad. Can of irn bru and a latte.
L - White bread sandwich with crisps (oh the shame.. )
D - Indian takeaway (yes..I did) couple of pieces of chicken pakora, a puppadum, spicy onions, bit of naan and tandoori chicken with fried basmati :(

Saturday - driving lesson in the AM (not too disastrous, thankfully) then went to farmers market. Managed to avoid the rolls and sausage but had a small cappucino.

May as well of had the sausage, as I went home and had another crisp sandwich (whit???!) and 4 chocolate digestives (game over).

Felt suitably guilty, so went out for a C25K jog.

Then over to friends for dinner and had a fillet steak, asparagus (tasted as though olive oil was involved in the cooking) green beans and southern fried chips (frozen oven type I think) bottle of wine and a bit of cheese cake.

Sunday
B - two poached eggs on two small wholemeal bread toasted.
L - Small mixed sushi pack from Marks, 3 slices irish soda bread with clover spread, packet salt and vinegar crinkle crisps.
D - at mums for Chinese take away - kung po chicken, boiled rice, some chips, couple of prawn crackers.

Hmmph. On one hand I feel OK, because although I went way off plan, I still feel as though I controlled my eating to an extent. I know I ate a lot, but it was nothing compared to the damage I've done on other occassions when I've come off plan. I ate bad things, but I don't think to huge excess. I know I'm sort of making excuses, but I also feel the need to congratulate myself on not going mental.

On the other hand I feel silly! Why go from feeling so good about eating healthily and losing a few lbs, to jeopardising that success without much thought? Oh well, I suppose if I had the answer to that, my size 14s wouldn't be packed away under my bed replaced long ago by more tent-like apparel.

Anyway, back on plan this morning. Never gave in to the 'eff it' approach of having a roll and bacon/totty scone "since I've blown it anyway", which is something.

Have had my CoU yoghurt and some coffee, and will have an apple too.

Hope all you slimming-worlders have had a more virtuous weekend than me!

I can't wait for the clocks to change, and the lighter nights to come in. As much as jogging in the dark has it's (very obvious) benefits, it's also a little bit scary biscuits. Roll on light nights! I'm hopinh I can stick with the jogging. Hating it far less than I ever thought I would. Who've thunk? Still, progress is slow. Only on w2 of C25K.. repeated one of week 1 in error, and haven't been managing 3 times a week so far. Managing twice weekly though. My dress making class finishes in two weeks, and although I'll miss it, I'm hoping to use the time to up the exercise a bit more (whilst continuing my dressmaking practise at home).

I'd like to building the jogging up to continuous jogging, rather than the whole walk/jog/walk thing. If I can do that three times a week, plus zumba once p/w then I'll be a happier and fitter bunny. Exercise only entered my life a few years ago, and so far it's just been a slight flirtation, rather than a full on affair. It's sort of clicking for me now, that to stay slim and healthy I really DO need to limit what I eat, and exercise more. I feel like I'm maybe finally getting it. I hope so.

2012 is a year of goals for me. I'm a terrible procrastinator, over-thinking most things, for too long. But I will say something for myself - when I really decide on something, I do it. Quitting smoking, moving back to the city, various things. I know I'm capable of changing my life, I just need to be in the right frame of mind.

This year it I decided it's driving, diet and dressmaking (well, dress making wasn't a resolution of as much importance as the others, but it's something I'd wanted to do for a long time). But driving and diet. Definitely. Done (by my 34th birthday is the plan). I'm typing a lot today - almost boring myself.

Back