Facing my demons...

spottydoris

Determined to succeed!
Hi everyone!

I joined Slimming World ooh - 2/3 years ago...? I lasted a few weeks and then gave up because I didn't lose any weight/started putting it on. I think I must have been eating the wrong stuff... I dunno... I found the system really confusing - the free foods, the superfree foods, the hex's, the syns... I just couldn't get my head around it. The diet really haunted me - you know, 'the one that got away'... I hated that I couldn't make it work for me!! I hate failing at stuff, lol.

Over the last 6 months I have been counting calories and trying to be good but don't think I've been eating the right foods. Equal calories of junk vs health food really isn't the same! :) As I am now used to weighing and measuring, I am thinking that my head is in a better place to revisit SW... I have all the books, but am not going to join a class (not yet anyway)... so I'm turning to you lovely lot to be my support network. Friends of mine that have been successful on a diet are usually SW followers - so there must be something in it!

I am not too sure whether or not to try green or red... I am thinking red because I know that low carb diets work for me... green scares me to death (pasta is evil, surely!?!) and the idea of EE just confuses me - surely it flies in the face of food combining!? Reckless EE...

I am going to go shopping later and stock up on what I'll need for my hex's etc. Any tips on what I should buy that I can't do without?

How many Syns should I be having? The book says 5-15... should I aim for 10, or does it depend on how much weight we have to lose? Does it matter if I save my Syns til the evening and have some naughties (ice lolly/choc etc), or is it better to use Syns sparingly throughout the day on 'healthy' stuff - weight loss wise?

Looking forward to getting started and putting my SW demon to rest once and for all...

Spottydoris xxx
:thinking2:

Hi spottydoris. I tried SW years ago and didn't really give it the best shot because I was trying to do it in a WW way by eating mostly prepared food (even though I cook from scratch from my family). I know I would have stopped weeks ago without this site as it really helps with ideas and if you have a question about things there's always someone who has either asked it before or who has the answer. In terms of things which are staples, I would suggest you have a look at some of the recipes on the site and think about the things to try e.g. Diet coke chicken, Pete's mushy pea curry and madame la minx's salt and pepper chicken are some of my faves but there are hundreds of others. Also look at the slimming eats blog and low syn life as they have great ideas. I find low syn treats like mikados, alpen light bars, options hot chocolate and curly wurlys are my stand bys when the munches strike at night. I don't think it matters when you have your syns but definitely use them so you don't feel deprived. Most of mine go on olive oil or the snacks mentioned. I vary between the 5 and 15 but like to have a few reserved for emergencies which I don't always use. Also eggs are a great standby for omelettes, quiche, or just to dip some bread into using up your HexB

Above all enjoy what you're eating. As far as the 3 plans go I find red works best for me and EE is best when I eat out. plan what you will have as its when you have nothing planned you are more likely to go off plan. Get lots of superfree food into your eating plan and write things down cos its easy for those syns to sneak in when you're not looking.

PS pasta isn't evil, low carb diets teach us that this is the case but it's easier to do a lower (not low) carb diet and still incorporate some pasta and rice so you aren't missing any food groups. Sometimes I really enjoy pasta but know I can't have it every day because I tend to overeat it.

Good luck and welcome to SW :)

My biggest tip to you would be to stop overthinking the plan and let it take care of itself.

Read your books, re-read them and then read them again so that you know the plan inside out! Decide which plan you're going to do (I can't help with Red/Green as I only ever do Extra Easy), and then browse the recipes subforum for meal ideas that would suit that plan. Make a list of the ingredients needed, and go and buy them. It really is a whole lot easier when you plan your week.

Use between 5-15 Syns a day, as your book says. Use them when you want, for whatever you want. May that be at 6 in the morning or 6 at night - literally whenever you want. They are designed to help you stick to the plan by feeling like you are not missing out on your favourite treats. Whether that be tomato ketchup, crisps, olive oil, chocolate, sausages...whatever you want. They are your Syns and you can do with them what you wish.

I would suggest you have a look at some of the recipes on the site and think about the things to try e.g. Diet coke chicken, Pete's mushy pea curry and madame la minx's salt and pepper chicken are some of my faves but there are hundreds of others. Also look at the slimming eats blog and low syn life as they have great ideas. I find low syn treats like mikados, alpen light bars, options hot chocolate and curly wurlys are my stand bys when the munches strike at night.

Thank you Peacelily. Those recipes sound ace - going to give them a whirl. It will be good to cook meals that my OH would like too... he's a big protein hound due to the amount he works out/weight lifts. Most of my diets don't suit him because they are too leafy!

My biggest tip to you would be to stop overthinking the plan and let it take care of itself.

Me? Not overthink things? What? LOL. That doesn't sound like me at all... nope, uh uh, not one bit ;)

Thanks for the advice though - I know you are right... I just don't want to fail at it again, I want to properly get my head around it and lost the weight once and for all!

I am going to start tomorrow... probably with a red day... and see how I get on! Exciting!

Spots x

Hello lovely,

I totally agree with Stevie about not questioning the plan. I over-thought it a lot when I first started and worried I was eating too much/not enough/green/red/blah blah - head all over the place!! But...if you just do what it says in the book, it really works. I've never stuck to a diet in my life but I'm less than a stone from my target now and I've never felt better.

And this forum is amazing, so if you want any help - just shout :)

Good luck with your journey.

Sarah x

Back