Family weekend - advice please.

When I started this diet I knew that there would be a gap in my days of abstinence. Over the Bank Holiday weekend my Dad turns 70 and we've long ago arranged a family weekend. Our family celebrates through the medium of food and wine and it would ruin things for others if I sat there not eating or drinking. I can't not go so I spoke to my counsellor about it and she is ok(ish) with this.

Now I know that there will be a fair few of you out there very tempted to write about how I shouldn't do it and how I will regret it later - I respect that point of view but I 've done this diet before and I know that it will be difficult to get back on track and I'm prepared for that.

The advice and info I want here is from those who took a break during abstinance and got back on track to loose and get to target. What choices did you make and what were your weight gains?

Thanks

LS

OK - I'm trying to bite my tongue. But I just think its a shame that you are willing to break you diet to make them happy....when they could be supporting your diet to make you happy? Seems like real crooked thinking at work here....:(

If you really HAVE to eat, stick to protein and salad/veg only, and lots of water. You might not come all of the way out of ketosis that way.

In RTM forum there is a thread called Curiosu About RTM - I would suggest looking at week ones choices and stick to those.

Good luck to you.
x

OK - I'm trying to bite my tongue. But I just think its a shame that you are willing to break you diet to make them happy....when they could be supporting your diet to make you happy? Seems like real crooked thinking at work here....:(

If you really HAVE to eat, stick to protein and salad/veg only, and lots of water. You might not come all of the way out of ketosis that way.

In RTM forum there is a thread called Curiosu About RTM - I would suggest looking at week ones choices and stick to those.

Good luck to you.
x

Thank you for the tonuge biting!

I'm just planning ahead in honesty. I've been toying with the idea of just going and sucking it up and sticking to abstinance but I'm the kind of person who plans for the worst and hopes for the best.

My main concern is the alcohol consumption, my family are all big drinkers and watching them eat and drink for four days would just be tedious. I'm wondering whether I can still drink like I used to! Probably not!!

Thanks again

LS

P.S your losses are amazing!

When I was doing LL - and I did the abstinence for 9 months, there was a 'half-way' break holiday which I took. It was a planned road-trip to Holland... Luckily my OH and I were both doing LL together, and we decided to break abstinence and enjoy our holidays responsibly.

Now, we went in with the best of intentions (took our foodpacks and blender just in case we wanted to be "good"!), but ... as we all know best intentions aren't always followed through. It was 4 days long and we ate as we wanted - there was nothing that was 'forbidden'. But we did listen to our stomachs: so listen to yours! If you are full - then stop. Drinking: perhaps if you need; then stick to low-Gi drinks such as white spirits (vodka and diet coke for example, or gin and slim-line tonic). Technically speaking these drinks don't even knock people out of "ketosis" per se, but the liver processes the alcohol for energy rather than fat - until it's gone.

So, we did have a proper holiday, came back home and we had a deadline. On the next day after arrival we would be 100% abstinent again. And we were. My OH and I didn't GAIN any weight on those days away, I remember I stayed the same but the loss the following week was rather small. Same with my OH.

We went on to be abstinent for a further 4 months, so if you have your head in the right place about this 'abstinence-break' then you should be ok. Sometimes it is important to do what YOU want to do, after all family events happen all the time. I've had my fair share of eating a LL shake and water and feeling a little odd at these events. But ... I suppose sometimes it may very well be unavoidable.

So, my suggestion: if you MUST break abstinence... Stick to the healthiest choices possible: refer to LL Lite eating guide for things that won't knock you out of ketosis *too* much. So stay away from carbs and sugar if possible. As for alcohol - stick to spirits and white wine (wine - not too much since it is quite calorie dense).

Set a deadline for when you come home, write it on your calendar - the day when you start 100% abstinence with no, and I mean NO distractions. There is no room for error on this one... It is very very hard to get back into abstinence after a break like this! But you must remind yourself of your goals, write them down in a visible place for your arrival back.

Good luck...! :)

Yep, I had a couple of planned breaks (one meal only both times) while on abstinence for specific occasions. I only had plain grilled fish and salad though - no potatoes or salad dressing or bread, and certainly no wine - I don't think I would have been able to manage that.

Strangely for me it seemed to make the programme easier - I was straight back on to abstinence the next day, and felt mentally stronger than ever. I didn't put any weight on, but to be honest I ate so little, I'd have been surprised if I had.

If I was you I would be concerned about drinking - I've heard horror stories (which may not necessarily be true, admittedly) of people drinking while in ketosis and doing themselves all sorts of damage through just one or two glasses of wine.

Good luck! xx

Sadly I'm one of those horror stories. I was on week 3 of RTM and it was my OHs 40th so decided it would be miserable of my not to have a drink. One led to two, then 3 then 4. I suffered serious liver damage, jaundice and subsequently my health has never been the same since. I can't drink anything at all. The Drs have all said it's because I drank too much too soon following 10 months in Ketosis. Don't want to put you off having a drink to be social but do be aware there could be serious damage done.

If you can make sensible food choices and promise yourself to be straight back into abstinence on your return then it is 'dooable'. But it'll take your body a couple of weeks to get back into the full swing of weight loss again.

Just be careful, that's the key. From personal experience, you can do quite a bit of damage if you're not. And I don't mean just on the scales!

Thanks Lucy!

The drink thing is a worry, my family are very big drinkers. I plan on easing in on the Wednesday with a small supper before starting the holiday on Thursday. Before starting this diet I could drink three bottles of wine over a day out but I am planning on only drinking with an evening meal - and even then in moderation.

The weird thing is that knowing that I get a break is keeping me going at the moment. If I thought that I had another 94 days to go I would be close to collapse by now. I'm planning on getting straight back into abstinance on the day I return and am intenet on staying on it until the end of foundation.
Fingers crossed it'll be a small weight gain.

LS

Back