Fat cells

*Emsie*

Gold Member
I didn't watch it indepth but on a programme last night I think it said that even when we lose weight we can never get rid of our fat cells which is why when people have been big as children etc they are prone to put on weight. Did anyone else see it? It was on Really I think.
So this is probably why we can't eat the same as non dieters even after we have lost the weight and have to still be careful or we will put it back on?
Damn fat cells!

I'd have to watch the program, but that doesn't make sense. If we couldn't loose the fat cells then we couldn't loose weight surely!!!!

I think a big problem people have when looking at what other people eat is we never see the full picture, you say ''what none dieters eat'' but its actually very rare that you get a skinny person who eats a load of rubbish ALL the time and doesn't put weight on. Yes there are a few, but not as many as you think. When you see most skinny people eating a lot its usually because they're out or at someones house. I have a friend who while we were out for a meal ordered lasagne with garlic bread and a side of cheesy chips, she's so slim! But she doesn't eat like that all the time, also she's extremely active!
I honestly think what we eat on slimming world is great, we still get our syns so can have our naughties, and stay slim!

i watched that program it was trying to explain why some people seem to eat and eat but don't gain weight. it was intresting

Just finished a biology course on which I was taught that fat cells can be lost completely. The outer layer of them is made of the same stuff that's inside them, and in a state of starvation they would be broken down for energy.

But I guess most of us aren't dieting ourselves into starvation :rolleyes: So maybe the show was right about the cells remaining and dieters being more prone to put the weight back on, but if you continued with the healthy eating that wouldn't happen.

After I get to target I plan on staying there, so I will "still be careful" about what I eat. Maybe the problem is that people lose the weight then think it's ok for them to start eating the way they used to, and that's why people who have lost weight end up putting it back on, not because they have the capability to store the fat. Slimmer people have that ability too but as pointed out by donna, not all of them are eating unhealthy all the time. And just because someone is slim doesn't mean they're healthy - fat builds up inside your arteries and can cause serious health issues.

Think I'm losing my point a bit here! Basically if you get to target and want to stay there, stay on plan! Don't let your empty fat cells trick you into thinking you can never maintain your ideal weight :)

Back