fat v muscle war

sarahmun

hi ladies this post is not intended to start a war but i just want to clarify that:

" muscle does not weigh more than fat"

so when you start to exercise and you subsequently put on weight its either down to 2 things 1. you think that its ok to eat that and you overcompensate or 2. your not drinking enough and subsequently hold onto water.

muscle isdensity is bigger but in weight is not and generally from one week of exercise you wouldnt build that much muscle to put on weight.

also muscle build is something that we should all strive to do, and i dont mean arnie style, but lean muscle burns calories at a resting rate faster and therefore burning fat!!

im not a trainer and still far off on my journey to beat the bulge but i have listened to teainers and read a lit and hate it when people give advice to others saying dont worry about your gain its prob muscle weighing more than fat!!

again i dont want to offend anyone jyst wanted to point it out.

sarah xx

I remember seeing an episode of Biggest Loser USA where someone had a poor weigh in and said it was probably cos the fat was turning to muscle and muscle was heavier. Jeezo I thought Jillian Michaels was going to spontaneously combust lol She absolutely went mental with the contestant and said it drove her nuts when people said that

ha i was gonna use biggest loser as an analogy but changed my mind.

my hubby is really into weights and bangs on about it all time so i suppose its rubbed off on me! sorry people.

sarah xx

I have been seeing a personal trainer at the minute and she always rants about the misconceptions surrounding exercise and weightloss.

For example, it is VERY hard for a woman to get herself into such a low body fat percentage range and start looking like Jodie marsh. Lifting 2kg weights once a week isn't going to make the sleeves on your blouse rip like the Incredible Hulk!

I personally love using weights as part of my workout (far more than cardio) and it helps that when I do have a weigh in my body fat percentage is also measured. So some weeks I might stay the same weight, but my fat % is steadily dropping, which is the aim, right?

Another one that grinds my gears is about metabolism. Larger people have a high metabolism. As we lose weight our metabolism slows down.

Oh, and another thing! Lol, I have been reading a lot of studies recently about women who workout at the gym and perceive the amount of calories burned as far higher than the reality and so actually put on weight through over eating when embarking on a new fitness regime.

not that I have any strong opinions on this subject or anything...:rolleyes:

Lol, I know, it's like saying a pound of feathers is lighter than a pound of bricks. ;) It's about comparative density, as someone else said. :) xx

ahhh thankgod im not the only one.

yeah kay kayleigh i love weights and as ive grown older and like to think wise i prefer the toned muscular look to skinny softer look. dont think i wanna look like jodie marsh but more jillian michaels ( ha i wish).

yes comparitives are always helpful but its funny how people still say muscle weighs more than fat.

sarah xx

sarahmun said:
ahhh thankgod im not the only one.

yeah kay kayleigh i love weights and as ive grown older and like to think wise i prefer the toned muscular look to skinny softer look. dont think i wanna look like jodie marsh but more jillian michaels ( ha i wish).

yes comparitives are always helpful but its funny how people still say muscle weighs more than fat.

sarah xx

Yes, it makes no sense whatsoever, lol. :) xx

yeah but you've done fab on the weight loss so you've beaten one demon! lol

i have a little muscle but its lying under the fat suit that is due to be removed ha ;-)

sarah xx

sarahmun said:
yeah but you've done fab on the weight loss so you've beaten one demon! lol

i have a little muscle but its lying under the fat suit that is due to be removed ha ;-)

sarah xx

Thank you! I don't exercise due to various health issues, so I think my muscle will remain pretty much dormant, lol. :) xx

I remember seeing an episode of Biggest Loser USA where someone had a poor weigh in and said it was probably cos the fat was turning to muscle and muscle was heavier. Jeezo I thought Jillian Michaels was going to spontaneously combust lol She absolutely went mental with the contestant and said it drove her nuts when people said that

I love Jillian! She is amazing! Have loads of her dvd's. She is tough and mean, but what she does works! I dropped a dress size in 2 weeks doing 30 day shred.

Back