'Fed Up' Documentary

abigail09

Gold Member
Has anyone else managed to see this. It broke my heart a little bit, especially seeing kids who are struggling so much with their weight and being forced into 'diet' and 'low fat' products. It is interesting watching it from a slimming world point of view because a lot of the foods they eat would be very high in sync but are branded as 'healthy' alternatives.

Didn't see this. What channel was it on? Wonder would it be repeated?

Is that the documentary on Netflix? I saw one about the food industry and the tricks to make us eat more. It was horrifying but also made a lot of sense. It was interesting watching it while doing Slimming World :)

Fed Up (2014) - IMDb this is what it is all about. Basically looking into WHY as a society we are getting bigger and bigger. Opens your eyes to how most of the problem doesn't lie with the consumer but with the producers. I think the food industry has a lot to answer for in regards to how we eat. It always makes me annoyed when I can't find decent food to eat when I am out and about, and it doesn't ever surprise me at why people are overweight when the options are so heavily weighted to sugar laden, fatty foods. It is really interesting if you can find it.

I can honestly see the argument from both sides. Yes it is the eaters responsibility to control what they put in their mouths and they should take some of the blame when looking at why they are overweight. If it was this easy though then there wouldn't be any need for SW, WW, slim fast, Atkins etc. We need these 'diets' to help us control what we put in our mouths.....why?

The people who produce and market food do have some responsibility. How many times have you been sat watching the TV and food advert has come on and made you hungery? Are these food adverts for fruit and veg? No they are for fast food, chocolate or 'diet products' which are usually high in sugar and or addatives.
When you walk down a highstreet it is much easier to find fatty foods to eat than healthy options. Yes you can go into a restaurant and order your food without oil / dressings / jacket instead of chips. But for people who struggle with their weight it is a constant struggle fighting against what they 'want' and what they should be having.

If it was easy for people to eat healthy and say no to these fattening things the world would be a perfect and happy place. But people are easily lead and buy into the things on the adverts, if they didn't work the companies wouldn't spend so much money on them.
So I suppose what I'm saying is my personal view is that I am easily tempted by the yummy food advertisted, and I do find it hard sticking to SW eating when I constanlty have to changes things on menus to fit as everything is usually fatty, but I do also take responsibility for what I put in my mouth.

Hmm..difficult one really.

I do think food as a business is designed to hit as many of our "yummy, some more!" spots as possible regardless of how terrible it is for us to actually eat a lot of, especially in the amount of sugar and salt they’ve “trained” people to crave, but then the food industry is a business. The marketing is relentless of course, and I think there should be more curbs on things that are promoted as “healthy” when they are nothing of the sort and the producers know it, leading to people making bad choices believing they are eating well (ie a lot of diet foods) or “lighter” foods that are really just lighter in colour.

But OTOH what you put into your mouth and to a large extent your kids’ mouths is your responsibility. I know it’s a pain in the arse but if you want to be a responsible consumer you’ve got to put the effort in and do the research on anything that isn’t vegetables (and even then) and sensible portions of high sugar/salt/fat whatever foods. One bag of crisps isn't going to hurt, I think very few people think say all six in the packet is healthy.

I also get annoyed when the producers of these sorts of documentaries/segments on TV show you a small chocolate bar and a giant smoothie and say “bet you didn’t realise [smoothie brand] had more sugar in it than this small chocolate bar even though they advertise as healthy!” Well, that would be the case if you looked at the nutritional info of fruit and realise that would be the case even in a homemade smoothie, says she who accidentally had several “zero PP” smoothies in the early days of WW that were nearly 600kcal.

Why put the blame on food producers,it's the consumer that puts it in their own mouth?
And why can't you find healthy foods to eat when out and about.There are lots of restaurants that do healthy meals.You can go into a supermarket and buy healthy food.
Most people are overweight because they either eat too much or have a health problem.

Why put the blame on someone else.There is only one person to blame and it's the one doing the eating.:)

Have to agree with this, everyone has to take responsibility for what they and their children eat - No one else should be expected to do it for them.

Why put the blame on food producers,it's the consumer that puts it in their own mouth?
And why can't you find healthy foods to eat when out and about.There are lots of restaurants that do healthy meals.You can go into a supermarket and buy healthy food.
Most people are overweight because they either eat too much or have a health problem.

Why put the blame on someone else.There is only one person to blame and it's the one doing the eating.:)

I don't agree. I got fat because I couldn't afford fruit and veg and bought cheap frozen food. The only reason I can afford to eat healthy now is because I'm a vegetarian and most veg is value tinned and fruit is reduced. You don't see buy one get on free on fruit and veg but you can get shedloads of chocolate and crisps etc really cheap. A lot of people have very little money and get the cheapest food they can. And most of it is complete rubbish. Also junk food makes you more hungry because your brain keeps you hungry in the hope of some nutrition and food companies know this. That is why chocolate is shaped for your mouth and crisps are a certain shape and size. Food companies have a LOT to answer for!!!

I don't agree. I got fat because I couldn't afford fruit and veg and bought cheap frozen food. The only reason I can afford to eat healthy now is because I'm a vegetarian and most veg is value tinned and fruit is reduced. You don't see buy one get on free on fruit and veg but you can get shedloads of chocolate and crisps etc really cheap. A lot of people have very little money and get the cheapest food they can. And most of it is complete rubbish. Also junk food makes you more hungry because your brain keeps you hungry in the hope of some nutrition and food companies know this. That is why chocolate is shaped for your mouth and crisps are a certain shape and size. Food companies have a LOT to answer for!!!

I agree with you about supermarkets never having offers on for fruit and veg, it's always the cr@p they have on offer.
Have to disagree with you about veg being more expensive though - carrots, broccoli and potatoes etc can be bought very cheap. Also, with the labelling on packages now telling you the nutritional info it's easier than ever to see what you're eating.

I agree with you about supermarkets never having offers on for fruit and veg, it's always the cr@p they have on offer.
Have to disagree with you about veg being more expensive though - carrots, broccoli and potatoes etc can be bought very cheap. Also, with the labelling on packages now telling you the nutritional info it's easier than ever to see what you're eating.

Sorry I was saying fruit is expensive not veg. I get some great tins of veg for 20p and Iceland do brilliant frozen veg for 89p :) I know there is nutrition on packets but I would look at the horrendous amount of calories in the food I was eating and think "oh dear" but not actually do anything about it.

When I joined Slimming World for the first time 3 years ago, it taught me about buying less than 5% fat meat etc and those habits have stuck with me thankfully :) But looking in the supermarket 2 chicken breast fillets are like £4 and you can get a big bag of quorn chicken pieces for £2 and they last for 4 meals so there's a big difference in prices. 8 chicken breaststeaks are £2 but high in fat so people on a budget have a double difficult time.

Sorry I was saying fruit is expensive not veg. I get some great tins of veg for 20p and Iceland do brilliant frozen veg for 89p :) I know there is nutrition on packets but I would look at the horrendous amount of calories in the food I was eating and think "oh dear" but not actually do anything about it.

When I joined Slimming World for the first time 3 years ago, it taught me about buying less than 5% fat meat etc and those habits have stuck with me thankfully :) But looking in the supermarket 2 chicken breast fillets are like £4 and you can get a big bag of quorn chicken pieces for £2 and they last for 4 meals so there's a big difference in prices. 8 chicken breaststeaks are £2 but high in fat so people on a budget have a double difficult time.

Yeah some fruit is expensive but not all. Like yourself, I also don't eat meat so have no idea of the cost :)

I totally disagree with the your mouth your responsibility theory. The whole reason big brand junk food like coca cola etc get away with it is because they stuff their brands down our throats at an early age and then say things like 'coca cola should be enjoyed as part of a healthy balanced lifestyle'. it really is totally crap, they hook us the same way tobacco companies used to. yes we know now how to eat healthily but celebrity endorsement, branding and availibility of junk food is the responsibility of the food companies. i too struggle to eat well on a budget, just food is everywhere, you buy clothes its at the check outs of most shops, its on every street corner. when i finish work and m hungry i have a 1 hour drive home and my only option if i want to eat something is take away food on the street i work or at a service station or to have brought food from home, which isnt always possible or convenient. like you said cavegirl, healthy food in supermarkets, the difference is i have to prepare it when i have no cooking equipment at work or im in my car. the only way to eat healthy is to plan and prepare, cook at home and resist the temptation of food when youre outside the house and i think that is the reason why so many people, especially children are overweight.

I totally disagree with the your mouth your responsibility theory. The whole reason big brand junk food like coca cola etc get away with it is because they stuff their brands down our throats at an early age and then say things like 'coca cola should be enjoyed as part of a healthy balanced lifestyle'. it really is totally crap, they hook us the same way tobacco companies used to. yes we know now how to eat healthily but celebrity endorsement, branding and availibility of junk food is the responsibility of the food companies. i too struggle to eat well on a budget, just food is everywhere, you buy clothes its at the check outs of most shops, its on every street corner. when i finish work and m hungry i have a 1 hour drive home and my only option if i want to eat something is take away food on the street i work or at a service station or to have brought food from home, which isnt always possible or convenient. like you said cavegirl, healthy food in supermarkets, the difference is i have to prepare it when i have no cooking equipment at work or im in my car. the only way to eat healthy is to plan and prepare, cook at home and resist the temptation of food when youre outside the house and i think that is the reason why so many people, especially children are overweight.

But just because it's there surely you don't have to buy it?? And I don't think famous people endorsing something is going to have too much influence if you're over the age of 12. As you said yourself, plan and prepare.

But just because it's there surely you don't have to buy it?? And I don't think famous people endorsing something is going to have too much influence if you're over the age of 12. As you said yourself, plan and prepare.

I agree with both sides. We obviously have a certain responsibility over what we eat, BUT big food companies work in devious ways and I think it's wrong - how can we make sound decisions without all the available information? How come the dietician who advises the UK government is sponsored by Kellogg's? How are we, without information, expected to know which is worse for us...sugar or artificial sweeteners? Look at the marketing on Special K? How are we supposed to know it contains more sugar than coco pops?
We are constantly being misled...there are comments on here about where we can buy cheap fruit...why do we need to go out looking for cheap fruit when I can walk into any store and find cheap biscuits?
Why are the government still sponsoring grain production and not fruit and veg production?

Researchers can't agree on the best diet for us, so how can we alone make that decision? The easy answer is eat natural, move more. If it's that easy, why haven't we done it?

I do agree that celebs and adverts don't get me to buy junk, but convenience does. As does misleading information.

Big companies have far too much influence in scientific research and in what the government say. But there's very little money in fresh unprocessed foods, so there is always a bias.

I am not denying personal responsibility, but the weight problem is so huge now it's a social issue and there are definitely things that could be done (or not done) by industry that could help. And I think they have a social and moral responsibility to do so.

It is not as simple or as clear cut as blaming one or another.

Rant over!!!

Do you have a Morrisons near you? Pears 5/6 in a bag for 99p on offer BOGOF.Persimmons £1.50 for 2 packs thats 6 fruits. One of the supermarkets usually have BOGOF on bags of apples.Veg is cheap if you know where it's on offer.When on offer buy more chop it up and freeze it.

Multi pack of Mars can be £1 for 4=25 p each.How much is 1 apple?:)

I don't live near one my main shop is Sainsbury's and they sometimes have good offers :) An apple at my local shop is 40p each so it's cheaper to eat chocolate LOL! I usually get them when they are reduced to 10p and save them :)

I really very strongly agree with your points. I go to town (Newcastle) and I can have a subway salad or a salad from Tesco/Sainsbury's with nothing on walking through town looking like an idiot or I can have a high calorie sandwich. That's about it. I fill up on apples and I can go to a greasy spoon for beans with fried eggs (1/2 syn each) and that's basically it. No restaurants or healthy food places just junk. Unless I'm missing out somewhere I would LOVE to find I'm wrong on this one :)

I really very strongly agree with your points. I go to town (Newcastle) and I can have a subway salad or a salad from Tesco/Sainsbury's with nothing on walking through town looking like an idiot or I can have a high calorie sandwich. That's about it. I fill up on apples and I can go to a greasy spoon for beans with fried eggs (1/2 syn each) and that's basically it. No restaurants or healthy food places just junk. Unless I'm missing out somewhere I would LOVE to find I'm wrong on this one :)

Newcastle? Nowhere healthy to eat?!!!! Pop into one of the countless Italian restaurants and have a Penne arrabiatta, M&S for jacket potato and beans or soup. Loads of places to eat heathy - I'm struggling to understand the problem you have with eating in Newcastle

Newcastle? Nowhere healthy to eat?!!!! Pop into one of the countless Italian restaurants and have a Penne arrabiatta, M&S for jacket potato and beans or soup. Loads of places to eat heathy - I'm struggling to understand the problem you have with eating in Newcastle

Spot on! Boots, Tesco and M & S to name a few all do a healthy eating/low cal range. Anyway, even if they didn't, no one becomes overweight from having the occasional pre packed sarnie!

"No restaurants or healthy food places just junk."

^^^^^ thats the bit I was confused about. Fair enough if you cant afford a restaurant but that reads like there are no restaurants or places to eat healthily in Newcastle

Back