Feel so naughty, but so happy!

redmel

Dreamer
Hi everyone.

I have just restarted slimming world (have posted in the intros section:)) and I just want to say, I feel so naughty being on a 'diet' and being able to eat.

The last time I did SW was back before EE was introduced and I know it works, so why do I feel guilty? We eat our dinner early because the kids have clubs every weekday evening, apart from a Friday so I usually have dinner served up between 4pm-4.30pm, which means by around 8/9pm I am getting peckish again... I have resolved to try and save my syns (mostly) for this time of night.

I have just had 6 crackerbreads with scrapings of flora light and an apple and I now feel sufficently full, but still only putting me on 14 syns, I am honestly not convinced I will lose anything?

You are allowed up to 15syns so you can still loose, but i am the same. If i have an early dinner i am starving again, so i tend to try and have a late lunch so i'm not hungry at dinner time theni enjoy my meal at about 7 or 8 at night, this also gives me time to exercise in the evening. Could you possibly have the kids have their dinner early and you have yours later when all the clubs are done?

I have done this in the past, but in all honesty I can't be bothered with cooking twice! I also like that SW means that we 'can' eat together :) I am trying to use no, or at least not many, syns throughout the day in order to have a little treat/something that feels naughty, in the evening once the kids are all in bed.
I thought this might have two good effects, 1, stops me feeling straving in the evening time. 2, something to look forward to :)

Do you think this will hamper any weightloss?

It could do, the evening is the time you loose the least weight as your metabolic rate slows down. But as long as you keep it sensible and don't gorge 15syns of a choco bar and crisps at 10 every night i think you can loose. Try to find alternatives to your sweet tooth, mine for example is a cup of tea with loads of sweenter and a yogurt (sometimes it is frozen so it feels like icecream!)

I'm afraid that I'm going to have to disagree with you.

I eat my syns in the evening (usually around 10 syns). In fact, I'm going to have mine with a cup of tea, after I've typed this (and it's 12:28!!!). I always have chocolate and have done for the last 2 1/2 years (currently I'm 6st 10lbs down and at a temporary target).

Whatever works for you really!!!

Wow Lonestitcher.. Fantastic loss.

I am glad to hear the plan can still work like this.

Although really I am inclined to think that eating a large meal at 8pm could seen to be just as bad as a smaller treaty snack at fhe same time.

I suppose all I can really do is try xx

equi said:
It could do, the evening is the time you loose the least weight as your metabolic rate slows down. But as long as you keep it sensible and don't gorge 15syns of a choco bar and crisps at 10 every night i think you can loose. Try to find alternatives to your sweet tooth, mine for example is a cup of tea with loads of sweenter and a yogurt (sometimes it is frozen so it feels like icecream!)

Sorry but this goes against everything sw says.
The 15 syns a day are for u to eat WHENEVER + HOWEVER u want.
If u stick to the plan u will loose weight

In my last 100% week I saved all my syns for an evening and I would eat my full 15 syns of some chocolate and I would also have mullers because evening is my evil snack time. I lost 3.5lbs that week...so I's say if thats what makes you happy then go for it, it shouldnt harm your loss at all :)

Most of the time I have my dinner after 10pm or I'm having a bit of chocolate or something, I'd say it doesn't matter what time you eat as long as you're on plan.

theres nothing to stop you having a meal at 430 then another one at 9pm as long as you feel satisfied rather than stuffed.

Best way to do SW is to just stick to the plan, don't try to add other bits of 'good diet advice' just follow the 40 year old plan that has been proved to work over that time.

x

I have also read that evening eating is not the best of ideas but I think it is each to their own. Some things work for some people and not for others. I can eat in the evening no problem but i know it effects people i know. I guess you can trial and error with a week at a time? Lol

You didn't make all that sacrifice of giving up foods you love and hours working at the gym sweating your butt off and limping from muscle aches for nothing. You didn't lose a stone in weight or spend all that money on a gym membership and kettlebells for nothing. You had a goal, a vision, which you were progressing towards, so you're not going to give it all up for nothing. You had a break but don't let that put you down. It's now wedding season. You will be going to parties and want to look and feel good. Remember how you felt? Keep remembering that feeling, the compliments, and the extra energy you had and the pictures you looked amazing in and don't lose sight of your goal.

Wow Aymes - pretty strong inspirational stuff!

And Redmel - do what you want when you want, as long as you stick to plan. The guilt is purely becuase of social conditioning to dieting - I guess thats why SW deliberately call it a plan & not a diet...

Seacrest said:
And Redmel - do what you want when you want, as long as you stick to plan. The guilt is purely becuase of social conditioning to dieting - I guess thats why SW deliberately call it a plan & not a diet...

Very true! As for the quote in my Sig..i love it!! A person very close to me sent that to me when I was off plan for a month and struggling to get back on. Gave me a really good kick up the bum for sure!

You guys are brill.

I try to eat with the kids as they eat better when someone is sat eating with them (learn through watching, and all that lol) it also means I am not spending the majority of the day in the kitchen making various foods at all different times, with 4 kids this can esily happen... plus the rule is we eat what I serve, so it is only fair I am eating the same/similar food, especially at Dinner time.. lunch isn't as important as I usually serve wht I know the little 2 will like/eat.

My thinking that if I am eating 4 meals at regular times through the day, I probably won't need to snack, so if lunch is between 11.30-12, and dinner wasn't until 8pm I would die of starvation by them!! I would have to snack at least once in that time.

This is my daily eating times.

Breakfast 630-7ish
Lunch 11.30-12.30 (dep on day!)
Dinner 4-4.30
Supper/Snack 8ish (bedtime is usally around 11ish)

If I do feel the urge to nibble, due to stress/upset/worry (this is my BIG downfall) then I am trying to pick snack a jacks, alpen lights, fruit... anything free or very low synned basically.

Fingers crossed this will work xx

I like to snack on pickled onions, pickled eggs and gherkins, superfree :) but I would imagine not to everyones taste x

My C told me that in order to loose those last few lbs you need to lower your syns. I think its okay to have a bar or a bag of crisps once and a while but to have them evey night is not advised. I could have a chinese within my syns every single night at 10PM and that would not help me loose weight. Its all about moderation.

If I know that I will be eating a bit earlier than normal for some reason I always make more of whatever we are having. That way if I get peckish later on in the evening I can just grab a bowl of whatever we had earlier. That way I don't feel like I'm over indulging and as most meals I make are free I don't have to feel guilty.

I do this on our weekend lazy days too. You know the day where you decide to stay in all day watching movies. In the old days I would have bought a couple of frozen pizzas and loads of crisps and chocolate to keep us going throughout the day. Now I'll make a big batch of chilli, or tomato pasta in the morning and just keep dipping into it throughout the day.

Use your syns whenever you feel you need them. I always have mine in the evening, usually on a little chocolate bar and a cup of cocoa, it's like my little reward for being so good throughout the day.

Yes equi I have heard that to lose the last few lbs you should lower syns and tweak the plan i.e portion control etc.. But as I am just starting out (needing to lose 4st!) I want to use my full syn quota so i have something to lower ;)

Tonight we are actually eating later because we are having a spicy dish with lentils. 90% of the time we all eat the same but I know 3 out 4 kids will whine or not eat this dish so I only force them to eat it every so often:) On days that we are having a seperate dinner I will eat my snack/supper meal with them. So today I had a snackajack heB of alpens. I was going to have fruit and yoghurt but didn't feel like it, plus I needed to have my B.

I really hope I lose something on Monday?

I know where you are coming from, but its all about habit too. I have got into the habit that i only eat really bad syns on a monday night, through the week i stick to muller lights. The way you do it, perhaps you can try every other night then something like a yogurt or fruit inbetween so that the transistion to lowering that will not be such a shock to you?

I have every confidence you will loose! Good luck x

Back