Feeling cross

flashharry

Silver Member
I usually bring my lunch to work as then I know what I'm eating instead of risking 'unknowns' in the staff restaurant. But last night with one thing and another I didn't get time to prep anything and mornings are always too much of a rush to do it.

But I thought it would be fine, although a lot of the hot food options aren't SW friendly usually, we have a salad bar, and baked potatoes and fillings.

So off I went, salad and baked potato. Only the so called 'healthy' fillings were all dripping in mayo. Tuna mayo. Chicken and bacon...in mayo. Cheese and ham...in mayo. Cheese and onion...in mayo. Prawns....In mayo. Not just a little bit, but swimming in full fat mayo. So I ended up having the tuna, and synning the mayo, but I'm just cross at having to use so many syns up unnecessarily!

OK, rant over lol, I'll have to make sure I find time to prep my own lunch in future.

Does anyone else struggle with work-lunch options?

Do they serve baked beans with other meals? If so, ask for a jacket and beans. I do agree, though, that many places do have mayo-heavy jacket fillings :(

What is it with mayonnaise? It's everywhere! You can't buy a ready-made sandwich without it, even in fillings where it is totally inappropriate. Why would anyone put it with cheese - it's just weird.

And the idea of mayonnaise on hot food like a jacket potato makes me feel quite ill.

I think that if I had been in your position I would have had the potato plain, with nothing on it.

No beans sadly or that's the option I would have gone for :(

I couldn't quite face it plain!

Can you feedback to the caterers that they need to provide healthy food options. Your local NHS trust may have programme where they provide info or support workplaces to become healthy eating environments

I agree with Patchwork although I would actually make a fuss, BIG TIME.
There is a responsibility for employers and anywhere to offer a healthy option apparently (both a hot and a cold option). It just doesn't wash that they have stuck mayo is everything and say "there is salad".
Unacceptable but if necessary, vote with your feet and go somewhere else. They obviously do not deserve your custom.

Perhaps you can make sure you always have your own tin of tuna or chicken or sardines in tomato sauce or whatever with you at work, then you can just get the plain jacket potato and add your own really simple topping once at your table? No prep involved at all then, you'd get a hot meal and it wouldn't even need a fridge. I believe there are some varieties of tuna with a little flavoured sauce in the tin too for very few syns (forgive my ignorance, long time since I lived in the UK). Don't blame you for ranting though, do let us know what happens if you complain!

I have trouble with work lunches, mainly because I'm disorganised and don't take food with me! I end up wandering aimlessly around the middle of Manchester looking for something that resembles a syn-free lunch. Even worse on an SP day as well!

Thanks swansong, that's a good idea.

I have emailed the caterers, they responded that the jacket potato fillings come in ready-made but if I let them know in the morning if I'm going to eat there they could find something else for me like beans or just plain tuna, which I thought was pretty good :)

I end up wandering aimlessly around the middle of Manchester looking for something that resembles a syn-free lunch. Even worse on an SP day as well!

You could grab a sandwich from Boots on Cross Street as they have some healthy sandwiches in their chillers.
You may also be able to order something hot and healthy from Tampopo if you pre-order, some of the branches actually do take away, it's worth asking in the one in the Triangle or the one on Albert Square.

You could grab a sandwich from Boots on Cross Street as they have some healthy sandwiches in their chillers.
You may also be able to order something hot and healthy from Tampopo if you pre-order, some of the branches actually do take away, it's worth asking in the one in the Triangle or the one on Albert Square.

I'm more towards Piccadilly Gardens so I usually end up in M&S or Tesco, it does get very boring though!

I have emailed the caterers, they responded that the jacket potato fillings come in ready-made but if I let them know in the morning if I'm going to eat there they could find something else for me like beans or just plain tuna, which I thought was pretty good :)

Good to know it's at least possible to eat more healthily, but that still doesn't explain why those options aren't freely available to everyone! Think I'd go for broke and have the beans AND the tuna, the thought of a dry potato with dry tuna on top turns me off altogether, lol. But then my love of mayo is partly how I got to this stoopid size in the first place!

Maybe have a Nando's if you need something hot?

You can apparently have a Syn-free lunch if you want one from Nando's although you need to plan ahead and maybe order ahead using the app?

That might be an idea. I've been doing SP on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday this week so been having Subway salads. Having some rice with tea tonight though, I need some carbs!

For Manchester you could try Barburrito? that should be pretty low syn!

Back