Step 1 Sole Source FEELING REALLY UPSET....

70HAZ

Its no shock that my daughter is embarassed of me....she always asks dad to go and not me.....if I take her anywhere its....drop me at the door she says..

i find it so hard to loose weight......suffered depression because of how I feel which makes me eat more...Im just back off holiday and hated myself the whole time which is what I have started the program today.

My daughter started high school today, when she came home she said that there is a meeting tomorrow that I probably dont want to , she doesnt know the exact time its so so dont bother going.....I know what she meant, it cut like a knife...

lots of tears...think should spur me on, hope it does...

i find this hard reading to be honest i am 23 years old and my mother since having me and my brother has never been 'skinny' its only of recent she has been slimmer after loosing several stone using weight watchers. i can honestly say i have never been embarassed of her and cant believe thats the feeling you get from your daughter, are you sure its not just you thinking into things to much as we can all do sometimes especially if you are feeling depressed (also suffered from depression myself) i love my mum no matter whether she was 10 stone or 100 stone, im sure that is how your daughter feels really. i want to also point out my start weight was dead on 14 stone- yes admittidly i was and still am 'fat' but there are ladys on here twice that weight so all in all its not that bad and it wont take that long to slim down. maybe try talking to your daughter? nothing worse than bottling things up. good luck on your journey- stick to it and you will be slim before christmas!! x

I've only just spotted your thread. Have you ended up staying away from the meeting?

I'm really sorry to hear that you're struggling with depression. Have you asked your GP for a referral for talking therapies? There is much better support out there these days than there used to be. It might be worth talking with your GP about it.
You're only 14st12lb.. there are plenty of people this weight who aren't particularly concerned about their weight. It sounds like it's more about self confidence and self esteem, and it also sounds like your eleven year old is doing what all eleven year olds do and testing the boundaries, but you're finding yourself caving in when you might need to be gently but firmly maintaining the parent roll. It doesn't matter if an eleven year old is embarrassed by their parents - most teenagers are embarrassed by their parents because that's what teenagers are like. It's important that we stay kind but firm when they are trying to wriggle out of doing things...
...however, if you're not feeling strong enough to go.. or strong enough to deal with her.. then you also need to be realistic about what you can manage.. don't beat yourself up about it...
..come on here and pour your heart out. Start/continue a diary and let's see if you can gain confidence and lose weight at the same time - they often go hand in hand.. and we can all give you a supporting hand too

hugs
xx

Hi, your story really touched me. firstly depression often makes you react to situations in an 'unreasonable' way. I know cos I have done it without realising, but afterwards thought I wonder if I was just being paranoid. Kids of that age can often interpret life very differently to how we parents think they should. its a combination of hormones, fitting in with friends, going to a new school etc
I cant help wondering how your daughter feels about her own weight and/or appearance. maybe she thinks that if her mum is overweight, her new peers may use that to play on her insecurities.
I often ask my now grown up kids if my being overweight embarrassed them. sometimes simply asking her may bring you the answers you need. either way you only need to keep thinking of losing weight for yourself first and foremost. Starting the cambridge diet is the first step, keep at it and you will find that once the weight starts coming off your confidence will increase and you'll be amazed at how the attitude of people around you react, not necessarily to the weight loss but the change in how you carry yourself. I suffer a lot from depression and imo the biggest change i have to make is to realise that its only me that can control how I react to others.

Back