Feeling very upset. :(

Fatty_no_more

Slimming for my children
Jus got back from drs as my knee has been playing me up something rotten and she just said well u do need to loose a hell of an amount of weight so that will be the problem.
No looking at it or anything.

I know I need to loose weight I'm not thick I had a baby 7 weeks ago and I started the min I had my 6 week check!
Really deflated me as I'm actually doing something about it and THAT is what she focuses on!

Feel rather pants now! :(

Fatty_no_more said:
Jus got back from drs as my knee has been playing me up something rotten and she just said well u do need to loose a hell of an amount of weight so that will be the problem.
No looking at it or anything.

I know I need to loose weight I'm not thick I had a baby 7 weeks ago and I started the min I had my 6 week check!
Really deflated me as I'm actually doing something about it and THAT is what she focuses on!

Feel rather pants now! :(

Hugs. Doctors suck for that. First thing they look to blame are you overweight or smoker. Think how proud you'll be going back all slim. Turn it on its head and use it as motivation!! X

I agree using it as motivation is key and Losing weight is the best revenge i always say lol. Congrats on the weight loss so far and keep on going x

I had a doctor like that when I was pregnant. I had been ill and not eaten much. Being my first pregnancy I was concerned that the baby wouldn't be getting enough nutrition. He told me that he didn't think there was anything to worry about as I had plenty of reserves!

It sucks :( I now avoid the medical profession when it comes to anything that could be interpreted as being weight related.

That is so rude of your Dr, can you complain and see someone different!?

Hugs xx

Doctors are supposed to say these things now in all fairness. Problem in society is people think it's "rude" to have their unhealthiness pointed out to them (excessive smoking, drinking or eating etc.). If it hadn't been pointed out to me, I might not have done anything about it though!!
Did the doctor already know you were trying to lose the weight? Cuz that's a different story & then it might've been rude to have a dig. If they didn't know then they might've thought you _needed_ them to say something. So many people do nothing about their weight & it can take a doctor or someone else pointing it out to give them that kick up the bum.
What you gotta do with this now is use it as an incentive rather than letting it get you down. You can totally lose any extra weight you have & show that doctor what you're made of! Imagine how amazing that will feel for you (and hopefully that tricky knee will ease up too)!
Chin up my dear, think positive - don't let others get you down about your weight. If I had, I wouldn't have stuck with it so long & lost the amount I have (and now those same people are praising my loss!). X

Sent from my Galaxy S using MiniMins

Well I assume it was on my notes as on my 6 week check post birth the dr said am I doing anything to loose weight which I think is a better way of asking and I said yes as it goes once I had the go ahead I was going to start weight watchers.

Just now thinking of hiding away till I loose weight if my weight is all people see. :(

Fatty_no_more said:
Well I assume it was on my notes as on my 6 week check post birth the dr said am I doing anything to loose weight which I think is a better way of asking and I said yes as it goes once I had the go ahead I was going to start weight watchers.

Just now thinking of hiding away till I loose weight if my weight is all people see. :(

I see what you mean yeah. Doctors can be quite harsh, I know this myself. Some just aren't into mollycoddling or tiptoeing around issues. I think they get fed up telling people to lose weight anyway lol (my Dad for instance is diabetic and the doctor is fed up telling him to lose weight - just doesn't click with him at all).

You have nothing to hide away for. There are always going to be people who say or do things that are harsh or unnecessary. Be proud to show them that you _are_ trying and people will see the difference soon. WW definitely does work. Tell you what, you should go and look up some WW success stories or get yourself a WW mag and read through it. It'll give you a nice boost and a great feeling that you can do this too.
Try not to let these peoples comments get to you. Before you know it, the weight will be melting off & you can tell any haters to go stuff themselves lol! Xx

azwethinkweiz said:
Doctors are supposed to say these things now in all fairness. Problem in society is people think it's "rude" to have their unhealthiness pointed out to them (excessive smoking, drinking or eating etc.). If it hadn't been pointed out to me, I might not have done anything about it though!!
Did the doctor already know you were trying to lose the weight? Cuz that's a different story & then it might've been rude to have a dig. If they didn't know then they might've thought you _needed_ them to say something. So many people do nothing about their weight & it can take a doctor or someone else pointing it out to give them that kick up the bum.
What you gotta do with this now is use it as an incentive rather than letting it get you down. You can totally lose any extra weight you have & show that doctor what you're made of! Imagine how amazing that will feel for you (and hopefully that tricky knee will ease up too)!
Chin up my dear, think positive - don't let others get you down about your weight. If I had, I wouldn't have stuck with it so long & lost the amount I have (and now those same people are praising my loss!). X

I think most people are fully aware of their weight. I knew I was destroying myself but was totally unable to stop.

WillowFae said:
I think most people are fully aware of their weight. I knew I was destroying myself but was totally unable to stop.

Well I wasn't... It was pointed out to me how unhealthy I was being and I was glad for it.

My point is, if you go to a doctor they're obliged to tell you why you have the problems you have and if they think its your weight they're going to have to say it to you unfortunately. It definitely could have been worded better but I don't necessarily think the doctor was _wrong_ to mention weight. It's never nice to hear these things especially in such a clinical and unsympathetic manner but some people need that extra push (not saying the OP in this thread needed the push, just that some people do).

OP, you can totally go back in a couple months rocking an awesome weight loss & feeling great!! ;) x

Well to b honest if the doctor actually said those exact words to u it is totally harsh and I would deff make a formal complaint! Wether they r a partner in the practise or not there is no reason for them to speak to u like that and it is totally unprofessional! Being a partner in the practise they should know this!

Fatty_no_more said:
Yep those were the exact words. :(

I Definitely think u should make a formal complaint! No matter what condition a patient has it does not excuse a doctor talking to them that way! There r other ways of putting things, for instance, just a small hint! Like... If u could loose a little bit of weight, that would really help the problem with ur knee! It's not difficult to talk to someone with respect and u shouldn't b put down even if it's a doctor!

While I agree that sometimes problems can be weight related and yes your doctor should tell you, it is a very sensitive issue and there is a much better way to tell someone. Just presuming something is purely happenin due to weight is slightly unprofessional.. chin up hun I'm struggling seriously with weight watchers, I love sweets way to much, but just think in a few weeks even you can go back to the doctor and show them how great you look!!! X

There have been a couple of threads in the sw area of forum recently that have discussed whether drs should say abou weight or not and have mixed responses.
I would say the wording your dr used was tactless and not very motivating/supportive. You are trying to lose weight as you want to and you probably do think you need to yourself so try not to let the dr's words spoil your progress and hopefully as you lose weight you will feel better in more ways than one and be able to show that dr what you are capable of xx

My ex-partner went to the doctor with a bad knee and was told the exact same thing. He was so upset and angry and kept going on about how it can't all be down to his weight etc etc. He was in agony. I said well try and lose weight, you can't lose. He's right, your knee no longer hurts. Or your knee still hurts and you can go back to him venting your anger and proving him wrong. He dieted. After 2 stone his knee started to get better. 4 stone later, not even a twinge. His doctor was so right!

Back